• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

I Never Saw This Link Before But WOW...

47 posts in this topic

I've been doing some research in the area of restoration, and from what I've gathered, it appears that most of these services charge a % of the "appreciation" of the book from its unrestored state to restored. So it would depend in large part on how much a G- Action #1 improved via the resto.

I've been doing some research in the area of restoration, and from what I've gathered, it appears that most of these services charge a % of the "appreciation" of the book from its unrestored state to restored. So it would depend in large part on how much a G- Action #1 improved via the resto.

Does "appreciation" mean "how much money the book is NOW worth?" or does it mean "what the book would be worth if it were genuinely in the condition it appears to be?"

For example, a friend of mine has an ASM #1 in 9.0,but it's restored. If it had originally been VG, that could be an increase in value of many thousands of dollars if it's calculated as an appreciation between Overstreet's VG and NM grades.

But if it's calculated by what the book is actually worth, it might actually be worth LESS now, since people shun purple books.

Since she is supposed to be the BEST, Susan's rates about 10 yrs ago were $100/hr. New Ostreet Grading Guide recommends that raw books sent to her should be valued at min. $1,500 in the current condition. goodevil.gif

Has she been "restored"?

No need...she's been kept in mint condition... insane.gif

You GOTTA love a woman who's as passionate about comics as we are, and know what the words "mint condition" mean. My wife is catching on, too, but so far she's still at this point in her comic book critiques:

(looking at the cover of Daredevil with Typhoid Mary on the cover): "I like her outfit, She looks like she listens to cool music."

We're getting there.

Has she been "restored"?

No need...she's been kept in mint condition... insane.gif

You GOTTA love a woman who's as passionate about comics as we are, and know what the words "mint condition" mean. My wife is catching on, too, but so far she's still at this point in her comic book critiques:

(looking at the cover of Daredevil with Typhoid Mary on the cover): "I like her outfit, She looks like she listens to cool music."

We're getting there.

ROFLMAO! 27_laughing.gif

WTF??

For those not “in the know”, a restored book is worth the pre-restored value plus the current apparent value of the book divided by three (formula copied from page 46 of volume 33 of the Overstreet Price Guide). This works out to be $3,000 dollars plus $22,500 dollars divided by three which comes to $8,500 dollars.

WTF??

For those not “in the know”, a restored book is worth the pre-restored value plus the current apparent value of the book divided by three (formula copied from page 46 of volume 33 of the Overstreet Price Guide). This works out to be $3,000 dollars plus $22,500 dollars divided by three which comes to $8,500 dollars.

Shhhh. He's in the know. 27_laughing.gif

WTF??

dogwtf2.JPG

That's the Overstreet Comic Book Price Guide formula for figuring out the value of a restored comic.

I know nothing about restored books.........but it seems stupid to me to use a formula on books that can have different types (professional and amateur) and diffeerent levels (small, moderate, and extenxive) of restoration done to them. 893whatthe.gif

Is this "Overstreet" formula supposed to be applied the same to a book with a tiny dot of color touch as it is to a book with pieces added, tears sealed, cleaned, etc. done to it??? confused.gif

That's the Overstreet Comic Book Price Guide formula for figuring out the value of a restored comic.

Well, with all due respect, Overstreet can go suck an egg.