• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Worst comic artists ever?

92 posts in this topic

Let's qualify that one, then:

Travis Charest in his early-90s, Leifeld-wannabe, everybody's-squinty-with-really-square-heads phase.

Haven't seen his new stuff, so I can't opine about it.

Sprang! SPRANG!??? I can't believe this guy made your worst list... I think his 50s World's Finest stuff was terrific... his art during the 50s was clearly some of the best of its era.

However, I think Mike Weiringo is right on the money. Even if you like his stuff, his look is ALL WRONG for the FF. Plus I think it's not very good to begin with.

Alan Moore and Travis Charest's Wildcats was one of the best Image books (story-arcs) I've ever read

That's because it was WRITTEN by Alan Moore! I could draw a comic written by Moore and it would still be a better comic than most of the stuff out there! (I am in no way proclaiming to be a good or even capable artist)

Chris

Ah, sorry - I see the problem. When I say "the best I've ever read" I don't just mean the printed word. It's also how attractive the art is, how it represents the story, it's flow, pacing, etc. - storytelling! Travis Charest doesn't belong in this thread grin.gif

I like the pseudo Manga-American style that read_em wrote about. The artist on Human Torch is Skottie Young, who I think is real great.

Now my vote goes to a recent artist of course, since I didn´t read comics back in the seventies: Mark Bagley

I don´t see why people like Ultimate Spiderman with that kind of art. Bendis´ writing might be great but Bagley´s art makes me cry.

• big heads
  • big hands
  • big feet
  • lame compositions
  • awfully airbrush colored (he probably does not color it himself though)

Jens