• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Wondercon, Post your Reports, AND LETS MAKE THEM GOOD!

100 posts in this topic

I won't be there until Sunday, but I will post a con report Sunday night.

Let's make them good? Are you kidding, the local contigent is the best when it comes to con reports. They even kept the Oakland show report going for months and it was not much to write home about.

I have to get to bed because I don't want to look as bloodshot and beat as I did at the forum dinner last year (Poverty Row: Are you stoned? You look stoned.) But I do want to give mega thanks to Jason for doing an awesome job helping us set up our balky wombattish device and thank Flying Donut for telling the authorities that there was an extra table dumped in our booth which made moving around impossible. CBG letter-writer extraordinaire Chris J. also jumped in and really helped us get our boxes in some semblance of order. Wow, you guys were great.

Spotted today: CW, FFB, JBud, Wormboy, Jeffreykli, Jimm94.

Marc

P.S.--I saw a Top-Notch Laugh 35 today...

This is an exceptionally weak con report, as I don't have a scanner.

Got lots of three minute sketches today - 25! (Again, will be auctioned off at Baltimore September 9).

Alberto Menendez

Shana Manion

Dennis Blas

Ernie Chan

Russ Heath (just a signature, he doesn't "do" sketches at cons)

Tony DeZuniga

Pablo Marcos (very nice Red Sonja)

Ramona Fradon

Sergio Aragones (I believe this is our cover - Groo wearing an "ACTOR"

t-shirt)

Timothy Yeates

Billy Martinez (fabulous, in color)

Russell Hawk

Ron Lim

Mark Texiera

Steve Lieber

Adam Byrne

Jason Felix

Mike Choi

Sonia Obeck

Joyce Chin

Daniel Cooney

TWO Arthur Adams, one dinosaur

Mick Gray

Brent Anderson

Spent way way way way too much money on Fiction House books- bought the

Edgar Church copy of Fight 32, bought an exceptionally nice high grade copy of Planet 34.

Also bought a Top-Notch Laugh 35. I think there are some people here who might want this book. I do NOT want to be a about it, so you guys work it out. I will sell it for cost, plus a couple of drinks.

The show, on the whole, was a bit of a let down. This was the first time I've been to a show in California, and I was hoping to see new blood, but I saw the same dealers I see all the time on the east coast. It was fun to finally meet some people, and for my first time in San Fransciso, the weather sure couldn't be better, especially given the weather back in Virginia. Much thanks to Marc at House of Comics.

Looking forward to seeing everybody at the dinner. I'll be tourist boy all day tomorrow.

Alberto Menendez

Shana Manion

Dennis Blas

Ernie Chan

Russ Heath (just a signature, he doesn't "do" sketches at cons)

Tony DeZuniga

Pablo Marcos (very nice Red Sonja)

Ramona Fradon

Sergio Aragones (I believe this is our cover - Groo wearing an "ACTOR"

t-shirt)

Timothy Yeates

Billy Martinez (fabulous, in color)

Russell Hawk

Ron Lim

Mark Texiera

Steve Lieber

Adam Byrne

Jason Felix

Mike Choi

Sonia Obeck

Joyce Chin

Daniel Cooney

TWO Arthur Adams, one dinosaur

Mick Gray

Brent Anderson

let's try to keep track of who's who this time, shall we

poke2.gif

Friday, got to the Con at about 12:01, went to the Pre-Reg Booth, NO LINE, (due to a major-screw-up, most that got

there early were "herded" to the second floor), simply walked right in after getting a 3 day pass. I was struck right away

from the size of room, it is MUCH BIGGER than in the past, ( the real test will be today SAT.) 893crossfingers-thumb.gif

I walked easily down one aisle and up the next with ease, (this is the first time in over 10 years that I was not

bummped or had my foot-walked-on YES! ) The lay out is very well done with room enough for many large

displays. After a time I made my way over to board member Jim1968 at booth 905 'Surf City Comics', then around the

conner to CGC booth 1000. There I meet Kevin Boyd, and the usual suspects from CGC. A short time later I said

hello to SupaPimp. The day was filled with just taking it all in, and waiting for 4:15 when CBLDF was to "host" a

book-signing by Frank Miller hail.gif. After being told '.....if you form a line before 4:30, you WILL NOT BE

ABLE TO GET ANY BOOKS SIGNED HERE TODAY!!!...." So an 'offical' non-line-line was formed, away from

their booth(605 for those that care). This turnned out to be a wise move as it was latter learned that only the first

120 people would get to be in line. Well as it got going we were then told we would be making a $10 "donation"

to CBLDF to get our books signed, and that there was to be a limit of 3 books..... 893whatthe.gif I had only two that

I had brought, so no plroblem. Then I spy Supa way back towards the end of the line, told him I would take one of his

books as I only had the two. All was good, had all of two minutes to talk to Frank, get the books signed and all.

Overall it was a good start to a 3 day Geek-Fest, more latter, The Brain.

Also bought a Top-Notch Laugh 35. I think there are some people here who might want this book. I do NOT want to be a about it, so you guys work it out. I will sell it for cost, plus a couple of drinks.

-----------

I would have loved to have bought you a couple of drinks, but somebody else grabbed the book from you first and it's doubtful they'll want to "work it out"as you mentioned. sorry.gif But it was nice of you to find it and congratulations on all your nice scores. I'm sure I'll come up with one sometime.

I heard the fire marshal was called in today and they evacuated the place - was that true?

NO.

He thought that there was not space enough for the people that were

already on the convention floor. After talking to the promoters, he then allowed groups of 100 at a

time to go in. It was a little more crowded than Friday but not anywhere as crazy as SD..... insane.gif

The largest crowded was for the 'wrold premiere Ultimate Avengers DVD', seating was only

1,400, after that number was reached they announced that they would have another showing after

this one 893applaud-thumb.gif. I passed as my LCS was 'hosting' 20 Years of WonderCon ( Joe Field of Flying

Colors Comics headbang.gif Talked to S. Borock, and got some imfo that he will be sharing with the

boards. Sunday is a biggie, in that Frank Miller will be "IN THE SPOTLIGHT", and I have my eye on

a few CGC books 893crossfingers-thumb.gif So whats the buzz on the boards???? More latter Sunday after the Con.

Stephen AKA The Brain.

Small report. It was a great convention this year. Books were less picked over. More good deals, more new stock. Torpedo comics display was unreal with multiple Superman 1's and many Action Comics under 20. The blue label Action 2 in 6.0 was truely a site to behold. A clean book. Yours for the low low price of 25K.

I was able to fill in many holes in my X-Men run, including a 108 in 9.0 for $17.00, a 9.6 110 for $20, and a 112 9.4 for 12 .

DC horror was somewhat picked over but still had some good stuff. Filled in some Kaluta and many Weird War holes. Examples of some deals include a WWar 7 in 9.0-9.2 ($27), 13 9.4 ($14) 20 9.4 ($20) 25 9.2 ($9) Unexpected 136 9.2 ($20) Witching Hour 40 9.6 ($18)

Also got a great tec 402 in 8.5 for $17

Everyone seems to be pricing first Superboy prime at around $60-$75 but no takers. On the Marvel side Marvel Zombies continues to be RED HOT. With many people buying em up left and right. $20 for issue 1 $10 for 2 and $8 for the first part of the FF story was the common selling prices. This is by far Marvel's most popular book.

Small report. It was a great convention this year. Books were less picked over. More good deals, more new stock. Torpedo comics display was unreal with multiple Superman 1's and many Action Comics under 20. The blue label Action 2 in 6.0 was truely a site to behold. A clean book. Yours for the low low price of 25K.

Torpedo's girlfriend was pretty HOT too! . . . grin.gif

With some much appreciated advice from Paris Fred and Jeffreykli, I bought my first ever Jack Kirby OA yesterday at WonderCon. It's a page from an obscure 1971 DC published magazine called Spirit World. It is probably the most oddball (and therefore least expensive) Kirby page one could ever hope to find. I'll have a full con report in the next day or two. I am in comic heaven right now! cloud9.gif

Kirby%20Spirit%20World-sm.jpg