• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Cool Spidey movie poster from 1985!......

28 posts in this topic

Stan Lee was in Dallas around this time and talked about the movie. At that point it had been delyed at least one. He said he sent in the original polot for the screenplay and when he got it back it was about 80% of what he wanted. So he submitted some suggestions and got back about 60% of what he wanted. So, once again, he sent in more suggestion and said it came back with about 30% of what he wanted. He said at that point they didn't know if it would ever get made.

Didnt Tobe do Texas Chainsaw Massacre?

Yes both Hoppers. One directed and one acted in it. I believe it was the 3rd Chainsaw movie.

Are you confusing Tobe Hooper with Dennis Hopper? Tobe Hooper did direct the original Texas Chainsaw Massacre & TCM II as well as another favorite of mine, The Funhouse (1981). He also directed Poltergeist.

http://imdb.com/name/nm0001361/

I worked in marketing at Cannon circa 1987-1988.

The first movie campaign I worked on was "Masters of the Universe: the Motion Picture" with Dolf Lundgren as He-Man and Frank Langella as Skeletor. (It was also Courteney Cox's first released movie.)

Over those months, an affable, if talentless, young director, Albert Pyun, rose in favor with Menachem and Yoram (Golan and Globus), largely because he could deliver movies on time with almost no budget. They weren't watchable, but they were on time and on budget. Albert's best known movie is probably the Van Damme sci-fi vehicle "Cyborg," which is often used to fill out cable schedules on Saturday afternoon between informercials. His full filmography is available here: http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0701597/

It was Albert's idea to film Spider-Man in two stages. He wanted to shoot the pre-spider-bite scenes with a skinny actor playing Peter Parker, then suspend production while he sent "Peter" to work out intensively with a personal trainer and dietician until he came back buffed out. Production would then resume and shoot the rest of the scenes showing his new burly physique.

The -script drafts I read (I worked on product placement for the film during pre-production) had been polished by Albert, and were actually a very faithful (if perfuctory) adaptation of Amazing Fantasy #15. The final scene was Spider-man unmasking Uncle Ben's killer and recognizing him as the thief he let get away. Then he has the "with great power comes great responsibility" moment, and the credits roll.

This movie almost got made! I forget the specific course of events, but Albert wound up making the execrable "Captain America" movie instead...likely because it was cheaper. (Cap doesn't swing through the city.)

While Cannon was flailing around with its Marvel properties, Warner Bros. made a Batman movie with a big budget and stars, and it made much bank at the box office. This set a very high competitive bar for comic book movies. Cannon was soon purchased by crooked Italian financier Giancarlo Peretti, folded into MGM (which he also bought), and the movie rights reverted (I believe) back to Marvel.

Bottom line: Spidey dodged a bullet.

Topic: Which is worse? The Roger Corman "Fantastic Four" or Albert Pyun's "Captain America?" Discuss...

He also directed Poltergeist.

Did he? Legend has it that Spielberg took it over and directed over half of it due to shoot problems and remains uncredited.

Ya, hard to know on that one. Without the credit though, Spielberg will just have to watch Tobe get the glory for that one. It's hard to really prove how much influence he did or didn't have on that film.

I just threw that in forgetting all about that contraversy. How about just substituting Poltergeist with Salem's Lot? 27_laughing.gif