• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What was your first post on the boards???

66 posts in this topic

You actually had the first comic post as well... with post #5...

I was just trying to figure out the earliest comic posts, by going back through the long-term posters' histories... Popular belief has been that there were posts that were not archived in the beginning. It doesn't appear that is so. I have found the earliest posts from Greggy, fantastic_four, Bronty, and many others. Still very available in the search engine...

Sadly, it would appear that the first comic post on the boards (by a non-moderator) was made by a coinee... sorry.gif

I hadda search back as I couldn't remember. I joined the boards looking for some info on the collectors society coupons you get for joining. Here's my post.

About a year ago, having returned to the hobby, I began to purchase a few CGC books out of interest. After initially purchasing a few CGC's off of dealers who were only too happy to point out what a deal I was getting considering the slabbing and shipping fee, I ran into a collector/dealer who explained to me that I could join the collectors society, get about $500 worth of free coupons thereby significantly reducing the costs of slabbing books that I already possessed. I checked the site and decided that I would wait until after the next convention in my area where I planned to buy a few Bronze keys.

Upon checking the site it now seems the collectors society benefits have changed. Instead of getting $500 in coupons you get 3 free standard submissions. The implications of this are obvious as if you have a dozen Bronze books in the $100-$250 guide range then really the membership no longer makes sense. It also makes me wonder how people are able to slab enourmous amounts of modern books under the blue universal label. Residing in Canada, slabbing is already a more expensive undertaking, when you factor in shipping and exchange rates.

My questions really are did this happen recently? Does there seem to be an indication that Blue universal slabbing is decreasing? Or am I missing some other method of slabbing that saves the consumer costs? It seems to me that CGC is discouraging the mid-level collector from using their service as some of the later silver age stuff is really not cost effective for slabbing. I can see this as a tactic to encourage more brown slabs of modern books thereby decreasing their workload time. I my case however, I have some higher grade stuff from the Early Bronze/Later Silver, IE. Sterenko Caps, Early Werewolf By Nights, Tombs of Drac, etc.

Any info related to these issues would be greatly appreciated.

Here is Steve's response grin.gif

That is incorrect. You get 3 free EXPRESS submissions.

Greggy's first post:

Re: Submission cost [Re: oldtimer]

#19059 - 07/30/02 08:22 AM

FYI, once I tried to submit a GS X-men 1 under the standard category as the Overstreet had a high value of $1,000 which is the limit, as I was unsure how they were going to grade it. They advised me by phone that it was going to get a 9.6 and bumped it to the Express category. No big deal as I was happy with the higher grade.

cloud9.gif

Oldguy's first post (as a registered user)

Re: Ebay related stuff. [Re: blazingbob]

#15300 - 07/11/02 11:10 AM

I guess this all goes to prove one thing without a doubt. There are three sides to every story, his, hers, and the truth.

And he's been keeping the peace ever since... tongue.gif

Darth's first post:

Re: advice for new collectors [Re: chrisfuccione]

#14163 - 07/03/02 05:27 PM

First off, get yourself the latest Wizard Magazine. Then go to the TOP 10 comics before the price guide - go out and by ten of each of those and get them slabbed immediately.

then comb the price guide page by page and find all the yellow highlighted items. Buy 5 copies each of those. When you sell the prior slabbed Top 10 book copies, then you'll have funds to get this second batch of books graded.

This is the ONLY WAY to collect comics...anyone tells you different is from the Silver Age....If you want to collect comics, this hobby is not for wussy boys...HARDCORE Collecting is the only way to go...prove it by going out on ebay and sniping evry CGC 9.8 or higher book that you find! Then turn around and post it with a crazy high reserve, at least twice what you paid for it...you are guaranteed to sell it because there are those collectors with more money than Bill Gates who will bid on your items because they emit that certain aura, that je-ne-sais-quoi that sets your comics apart form the rest of these other lowly non-graded book sellers....a pox on them all....BWAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

From May 17, 2004. My shameful past as an eBay comicboard contributor revealed! 893whatthe.gif

Hey all, I am a regular on the ebay comic boards but I lurk here occasionally. After seeing this thread I felt compelled to join in. Comicwiz, consider yourself lucky that you did not involve yourself with this person. He is well know on the ebay boards and is the subject on an extensive thread you might find interesting....

http://forums.ebay.com/db1/thread.jsp?forum=10&thread=410120737&modified=1084765470612

How the hell do you access the 'archives'? confused-smiley-013.gif

Running a search, I just get my last 800 posts... frown.gif

Do a search for posts by your user name for posts older than 27 or 28 months. Make sure you change the "newer than" box to blank or it won't work.

My first post I suggested that Ian Levine look into suing Vinny Z. for "interfering" with Ian's quest to get the Double Action #2. Then Vincent posted his rebuttal and I felt like a total dweeb for taking Ian's side. sorry.gif

Greggy's first post:

Re: Submission cost [Re: oldtimer]

#19059 - 07/30/02 08:22 AM

FYI, once I tried to submit a GS X-men 1 under the standard category as the Overstreet had a high value of $1,000 which is the limit, as I was unsure how they were going to grade it. They advised me by phone that it was going to get a 9.6 and bumped it to the Express category. No big deal as I was happy with the higher grade.

cloud9.gif

I posted before then so you are wrong as usual. It was in a thread started by drbanner regarding how my FF 49 CGC 9.6 sold for almost twice as much as my FF 48 CGC 9.6.

You failed me like you've done in many other instances. confused-smiley-013.gif

My first post was on 11/05/03in the Re: Have a Cigar (Dell, Goldkey, Charlton edition) thread...

My first post...I've really enjoyed reading these boards for a couple of weeks. VERY informative. Here is a cover I couldn't resist. It's really hard to find the artist credit for these covers though. The artwork and story inside are drek!

This was the cover I tried to attach.......

download.jpg

Lantern was the first board member to welcome me and hosted the image for me. Shiverbones was the second person to welcome me. I eventually got the hang of posting images.

Red