• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1992 Sotheby's catalog unrestored Action #1 VF 78

30 posts in this topic

Let me take that back.There are 2 copies in the vf range on the census.The 7.5 and 8.5.Both books have notations on them under the grade. the 8.5 has rusted staples and the 7.5 have slight glue or color [not sure] scan is hard to see.

8.5 PCE 137k...1994

7.5 mastronet 2002....194k

Is this the copy you refer to?

so $75,100 was not quite an all-time Action Comics No. 1 auction record. That was established in September 1992 at Sotheby's second annual comic sale, when a private collector sprang for $82,500 and got a copy in better condition.

I don't know if it was 1992, but around that time Sotheby's had an Action 1 in around the same grade that sold for 40k-ish. The problem was it was missing a page. It was graded by the grading committee, including Dan Greenhalgh, and he ended up buying the book at the auction. I believe he still has it.

I don't know if it was 1992, but around that time Sotheby's had an Action 1 in around the same grade that sold for 40k-ish. The problem was it was missing a page. It was graded by the grading committee, including Dan Greenhalgh, and he ended up buying the book at the auction. I believe he still has it.

No, this book definitely sold for 82.5.

Wow an incomplete copy sells for about half what a complete one in a similar grade would have at the time - pretty impressive.

Rob,

Where did you find the 1992 Sotheby's catalog? I am still missing 1992 and 1995.

Anyone got a spare of either/both they'd be willing to sell me at a healthy profit so that I can complete my run? smile.gif

Rob,

Where did you find the 1992 Sotheby's catalog? I am still missing 1992 and 1995.

on eBay. For $5. The last time one was on eBay I was outbid at something like $75. I'm VERY happy with the price I paid headbang.gif I still don't know why I got it so cheap.

95 you should be able to find pretty easily on eBay. 1992 will take some patience and it might cost you- I mentioned the last time it was on eBay and it sold out at one of the online catalog resellers at $50, which is a king's ransom for a catalog on the secondary market.

Rob,

on eBay. For $5. The last time one was on eBay I was outbid at something like $75. I'm VERY happy with the price I paid headbang.gif I still don't know why I got it so cheap.

95 you should be able to find pretty easily on eBay. 1992 will take some patience and it might cost you- I mentioned the last time it was on eBay and it sold out at one of the online catalog resellers at $50, which is a king's ransom for a catalog on the secondary market.

Wiest told me that they printed the same quantity of 1992 as 1991. The difference was that they mailed it using the wrong mailing and so most of them were thrown away. It took me a while to find one cheap enough on ebay. I got lucky paying about 20 bucks but prior to that I had seen it for the 50 and up type of price. It's a great catalog with many great Mile High runs.

Rob,

Wiest told me that they printed the same quantity of 1992 as 1991. The difference was that they mailed it using the wrong mailing and so most of them were thrown away. It took me a while to find one cheap enough on ebay. I got lucky paying about 20 bucks but prior to that I had seen it for the 50 and up type of price. It's a great catalog with many great Mile High runs.

Adam;

What was on the cover of the 1992 catalogue?

If I remember correctly, they sent me two copies of the second catalogue and I could never figure out why. I believe this was the catalogue with images of multiple classic comic book covers on the front cover of the catalogue.

I just wish I could remember where I put all of these catalogues. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Rob,

Adam;

What was on the cover of the 1992 catalogue?

If I remember correctly, they sent me two copies of the second catalogue and I could never figure out why. I believe this was the catalogue with images of multiple classic comic book covers on the front cover of the catalogue.

I just wish I could remember where I put all of these catalogues. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Tec 8, Tec 27, Action 1. It stand out because it's their only comic catalog with a multi-color spind because of the comic images spilling over to the back cover.