• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Thanks To The Well Wishers

74 posts in this topic

As we have been discussing OT in October's NA Marketplace thread, I am leaving collecting behind and pursuing music as much as possible.

I do thank the folks who have wished me well, both here and at the Wondercon dinner, and appreciate the advice "Don't sell your pre-code." "Don't sell your BA." Hmmm - that kind of leaves some Jungle/Jumbo/Dagar type stuff and a group of Marvel BA horror.

I will be prepping things to sell (no, no pressing or restoration. Just cataloguing, scanning etc.) And I will definitely post them on the boards first. I may well go through a few rounds on the boards beofre hitting ebay.

I do have an eye to the future and will probably see how the "lesser" stuff goes first. But that eye to the future would be for greater resale value. My feeling is that pre-code horror has peaked. DC BA Horror - in retrospect that may well yield more in the future, especially as I have a decent amount of HG.

This is not a decision I make lightly but it is a very easy decision to make. Collecting has been, for some time now, a means of self-fulfillment. Sharing a hobby with others on the boards, meeting at cons, making trips to LCS, revealing or reading here an intersting factoid. But at the core it was to fulfill myself. Give my life a sense of purpose and value. It no longer does. And I don't mean just comic books. I mean the act of collecting, acquiring and researching that which I collect. Movie posters have met a similar fate. In fact any collecting desire is gone now.

Hey Sid! I hear you about the music industry. That is not where I am coming from. I have no desire to perform. I will be fulfilled and eminently satisfied to study and learn and, if I am really fortunate, perhaps create. And should I perform on ocassion, I would like it to be for a small group of people who are knowledgeable and appreciative of this music.

So that's the long and short of it. I have made many friends here and they are still my friends. I know that without comic books as a binding agent, some friendships may well fall by the wayside. But some will remain. And I will certainly visit here from time to time.

Sa Re Ga Ma Pa Dha Ni Sa (that's the scale, btw). smile.gif

Pov,

I wish you luck in whatever endeavors you participate in. I still hope one day our paths will cross and we can meet. I've self-studied on jazz and rock guitar, so music is one of my fun thing to do as well. Unfortunately, because I am limited in time, my family has my acute concentration...and in all honesty, I'm really deflated from this years past events in this hobby. But this thread aint about me.

Best of luck and let's stay in touch!

Sterling

Best wishes ya old coot. thumbsup2.gif

Now quick... everybody start replying to other threads to bump this one off the first page! If it's not here in the morning, gramps won't remember a damn thing. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Rock on POV!!!!

screwy.gif

Box your stuff up and re-visit it in 5-10 years..............you'll be glad you did! thumbsup2.gif

gossip.gif Find some balance in your life: devote 90% of your free time to your music......but take 10% off to keep up with a hobby that, deep down, you know you love. hi.gif

But at the core it was to fulfill myself. Give my life a sense of purpose and value. It no longer does. And I don't mean just comic books. I mean the act of collecting, acquiring and researching that which I collect. Movie posters have met a similar fate. In fact any collecting desire is gone now.

Then you have made the right decision and I wish you well in the future!

screwy.gif

Box your stuff up and re-visit it in 5-10 years..............you'll be glad you did! thumbsup2.gif

gossip.gif Find some balance in your life: devote 90% of your free time to your music......but take 10% off to keep up with a hobby that, deep down, you know you love. hi.gif

Oh........and one more thing.............DON"T FORGET WHO YOUR FRIENDS ARE!!! makepoint.gif

flowerred.gif

Pov, face it, comics are part of your soul, and they have been for decades. They may lay dormant in your head for a while, maybe even years, but your love for the funny books will always play some part in there. It was just last August that we were passing your newly aquired pre-codes around the table at the San Diego Forum dinner. You were showing those things around with pride, and they were cool.

When I was 17 I also swore off comics and sold them all. Although I was also doing music then too, it was my interest in girls that overshadowed any desire for comics. I was fine for three years, but then at 20 the bug that lay dormant in my mind came back with a vengeance. I then regretted selling all my books as I had a pretty impressive collection of Silver Age Marvels for a 17 year old.

It's not like you are trying to kick a bad habit like smoking or gambling or McDonalds. Collecting and studying comics as you have done (as far as I know) has really enhanced your life in a positive way. I could certainly see that not too long ago.

So with that said, maybe think a little more about what you are doing. You know more than I what is right for you, but knowing human nature, I think you may regret at least part of this decision. Don't let this part of Pov die as someday I believe you may miss it. angel.gif

I've said it in the other thread but will repeat it here.

Your contributions and personality will be sorely missed on the boards Pov, but you have found something other then collecting that makes you happy and that's great.

Good luck with your future endeavours and best wishes. thumbsup2.gif

Michael,

It was great seeing you Saturday night and it's always fantastic to hear about someone making improvements in one's own life and health. I especially like the six small meals a day part--wish I could figure out how to do that!

My only caution is that you go very slowly selling the comics. For one thing, I hear all time from customers that they always regret that they sold their comics at some point in their past. You hear it on the boards too. But even more importantly, you have personal history with that sort of thing. You've sold off items before that you either regret (the Action 1) or end up repurchasing later (lots of pre-code). I'd go slow. And hang onto as much as you can.

Good luck with the music and I'm sure Beth and I will see you sometime this spring.

Marc