• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Just finished watching the Ultimate Avengers Movie.

91 posts in this topic

Well, I just watched it last night. It was pretty good. Obviously toned down abit from the Ultimates comic but it was still pretty cool. The only thing I didn't like wasn't in the movie but in the Extras. They were doing the history of Avengers and talking to different Marvel people and it seemed to me that George Perez was really hogging up the the spotlight. Yeah, he's a great artist, especially on Avengers, but man, they let him prattle on and only gave Mark Millar a few seconds here and there. Yeah, the Ultimates are based on the Avengers, but the movie is based off of the Ultimates comic. They should have given a little more screen time to the Ultimates books and to Mark. All and all though, a great movie. And the 2nd one looks to be pretty cool as well. The package says it'll be out in August '06 but the dvd says July. And it looks like they are doing Iron Man and Dr. Strange. Dr. Strange?!

I think Thor was suprised too. I thought, it was just too short. I think the sequel will be better. I am trading my DVD in the marketplace. I don't like to keep DVD's around since I rarely watch them more than once.

thast why I rent alot and buy the ones I like..

Or Copy devil.gif

I don't like to rent movies. I have a bad habit of not returning them in time. So, I buy what looks good. I rarely buy though.

Netflix makes it rather easy to rent movies though... and they don't care if you don't return them since they just won't send you another one until you return the one you have. (You can have three out at a time though with their most popular package.) (No time limit really.)

They DO crack down on the people who they perceive as "Renting Too Much" tho. (The term bandied about is "Throttling.")

They DO crack down on the people who they perceive as "Renting Too Much" tho. (The term bandied about is "Throttling.")

Yeah...I noticed that it took a week for them to send me more movies. My wife saw some web sites with Netflix admitting as much. There's a class action lawsuit because they advertise that on average it would take only a day or two to get more movies.

Also, they will make sure you can't get any of the newer movies, preferring to giving the customer who keeps their movies forever (and therefore increases their profits). I've been waiting for a while for 40 yo virgin.

You'd think that a company would have better things to do than intentionally delay its service to paying customers, but evidently they don't. They've changed the wording of their service agreement or some kind of official statement to admit that they practice "throttling". Before they got caught, they were advertising unlimited movies, but were delaying deliveries to the customers who watched a lot of movies per month.

I would think they'd get more out of word-of-mouth advertising from satisfied customers who DID receive unlimited movies per month than by delaying things. God forbid they should give people what they've advertised and what their customers are paying for, right? I'm sure things are evened out by people who keep their movies forever and don't get around to mailing them back out for weeks or even months.

I'm not sure if they throttle those who only get new releases worse than those who get a lot of movies that are older. My wife and I have used Netflix to get a lot of old b&w movies and to catch up on HBO series like The Sopranos and Oz. The closest thing to "new" that we've gotten is season 5 of The Sopranos. We go through them pretty quickly and haven't noticed a delay, but we're not too far out of the trial period. From what I've read, the trial period is great, but if you get a lot of movies consistently, you're throttled.

Pretty cool movie. As always they were probably laying down the groundwork for the for future episodes.

Spoiler in white:

The Battle with the hulk was awsome Giantman got knocked out twice and I thought when hulk grabbed and snapped his knee that it was broken.Ironman took quite the lashing, I though his helmet was going to break off. Thor was the only one who really looked like he nailed the hulk good.

I think it was a cool start for marvel. lets see if it improves or gets worse now.

Yeah...I noticed that it took a week for them to send me more movies. My wife saw some web sites with Netflix admitting as much. There's a class action lawsuit because they advertise that on average it would take only a day or two to get more movies.

Also, they will make sure you can't get any of the newer movies, preferring to giving the customer who keeps their movies forever (and therefore increases their profits). I've been waiting for a while for 40 yo virgin.

This is the first I've heard of Netflix "Throttling". The 893censored-thumb.gifers. I probably go through 3 a week, and it may be time to cut them loose. I've had The Ultimate Avengers at the top of my que for months, waiting for it's release. Here's what my que currently looks like, which seems pretty 893censored-thumb.gifing throttled to me. Christo_pull_hair.gif

Que.jpg

This is the first I've heard of Netflix "Throttling". The 893censored-thumb.gifers. I probably go through 3 a week, and it may be time to cut them loose. I've had The Ultimate Avengers at the top of my que for months, waiting for it's release. Here's what my que currently looks like, which seems pretty 893censored-thumb.gifing throttled to me. Christo_pull_hair.gif

Que.jpg

27_laughing.gif you throttler

I use Netflix for movies I can't rent at the video store. Mostly foreign horror films. For most of my rentals I have a MVP account at Hollywood Video.

thumbsup2.gif

Que.jpg

Same problem here, I watch a lot of movies and have been branded by the powers that be at Netflix. Anything new is out of the question for a LONG time, (netflix has openly admitted that new releases are reserved for new members and people who keep their movies for a long time.)

Members like us are seen as "not-profitable" by Netflix because it costs 70 some odd cents for every movie we send back to them alone.

Here's a link that explains it better:

netflix throttling explained

I suggest using BLOCKBUSTER. They also do the movie rentals through the mail just like Netflix. I've been useing BLOCKBUSTER for over a year now and have had no problems. I've seen more movies then I have ever seen before. If you decide to go with BLOCKBUSTER go with the "3 at a time" deal. You get additional coupons for two free movies from any Blockbuster store. And thier the latest films too. Plus every once in a while you get coupons for free stuff like free previously viewed movies, candy, ice cream, or even comics. Blockbuster is one of the few stores that carry some comics. Marvel Adventures usually. The rental prices are the same as Netflix prices. Give Blockbuster a try. They been good for me. thumbsup2.gif

Members like us are seen as "not-profitable" by Netflix because it costs 70 some odd cents for every movie we send back to them alone.

The thing that Netflix doesn't seem to understand (or want to understand, maybe) is that if you, as a customer, are happy because Netflix actually did what they say they do in their advertising, you'd do nothing but give them rave reviews in every in-person and online conversation you had. You'd be their best advertising, and probably influence a lot of people to look into them.

Instead, because you get punished because you efficiently use a service THAT YOU ARE PAYING FOR, you can only share a bad experience, because that's what they've given you. They're earning bad feelings, bad reviews, a bad reputation, and bad advertising, which will only hurt them in the long run.

Their next step will probably be making frequent renters pay for postage.

Has anyone used or heard of Intelliflix? confused-smiley-013.gif Their site looks like a possible alternative to Netflix. http://www.intelliflix.com/

I would just go with the Blockbuster service Kevin, it sounds like a better deal all the way around. I think I'm going to give it a try.

Years ago I caught my local Blockbuster blatantly trying to pull a "late fee" scam. The check-out guy kept telling me I had a late fee to pay. I knew I didn't, and after a lengthy argument I had him get the manager. Finally I said "hang on..." and went out into the center of the store, found the exact dvd in the exact holder they were saying I returned late, brought it back and shoved it in his face. Then another argument before he finally removed the late charge from my account.

The scam set-up...They had the newer/shorter rentals in distinctive colored holders, and older/longer rentals in the center of the store, regular white holders. So they would move newer ones to the white holders/center area, but leave the computer system as short term rentals. People would think they had 5 day rentals (like I did) and get tagged at their next check-out.

On the way out of the store I thought about all the large families that use the same account and who just paid that late fee at check out, thinking some other family member probably dropped the ball. A cashcow scam. So I signed up for Netflix and never went back.

I think they've cleaned up their act since then, got sued or something over late fees. So I might give them a look. I guess never say "never". crazy.gif