• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

TIME TRAVEL

176 posts in this topic

i thought they were merely teleporting light at this point.

Maybe the next step is small objects. I read about this last year. Unless their already into further development. Where's my time machine when ya need one. frustrated.gif Remind me to invent MEMORY PILLS.

It would definitely be a closely guarded technology.

It won't be any goverment that will do the work. It would more likely be some business funded by the goverment.

So if somehow a TIME MACHINE ever was made, I highly doubt we will ever see it due to any goverments involvment.

Yeah, that's where I was going. Yeah, it would be contracted out like they do now with most hardware (planes and such) but its not something they would let those companies release to the public.

Apparently, if telescopes are powerful enough, we would be able see to the end of the universe and the big bang that took place thousands of years ago and is still currently taking place. confused-smiley-013.gif

Current theory suggests the Big Bang took place nearly 14 billion years ago. I recall a documentary about it saying scientists can use mathematics to support this theory and everything works ok until they get back to within a fraction of a second after the Big Bang took place. At this point, the science and math of it all falls apart and it no longer makes sense.

Just like every century we debunk much of the theories of the centuries before us, don't you think our descendants 1000 years from now will have much to say about the theories of the universe from 2006? Man's mind is very small, even scientists. We presume too much to think we understand a tiny part of the universe, let alone how it was formed.

Considering the very large number of books (hundreds of thousands) such as Action #1 that were originally printed,

and realizing that very few copies (dozens?) are remaining today...

and given our discussion about the possibility that time travel may exist in the future...

...could we hypothesize that time travel DOES exist in the future,

and that some future person has already visited the past and obtained

many copies of books like Action #1... and they may be selling them

slowly in the future (where they undoubtedly have more value than today)?

I mean, if time travel exists in the future... they could be responsible for

the large number of "missing treasures" of the past. (Comics, Gold Coins, Historic Artifacts, etc.)

They were taken from the past into the future by future time-travellers.

They can't be found today because they don't exist "today".

893scratchchin-thumb.gif

When I was a kid, I used to think that I wanted to study time-travel when I grew up.

But I decided against it because I would have "visited" my childhood self if I was successful.

Since I never got a visit from my future-self, I decided I shouldn't make a career out of time-travel science.

But... I'm also pretty sure there's a paradox in my logic, too. grin.gifconfused-smiley-013.gif

One truism about the future is that the law of supply and demand will still apply... so if someone hijacked a bunch of NM Action #1s to the future, chances are they'd be worth less than today -- perhaps a veritable bargain!

Considering the very large number of books (hundreds of thousands) such as Action #1 that were originally printed,

and realizing that very few copies (dozens?) are remaining today...

and given our discussion about the possibility that time travel may exist in the future...

...could we hypothesize that time travel DOES exist in the future,

and that some future person has already visited the past and obtained

many copies of books like Action #1... and they may be selling them

slowly in the future (where they undoubtedly have more value than today)?

I mean, if time travel exists in the future... they could be responsible for

the large number of "missing treasures" of the past. (Comics, Gold Coins, Historic Artifacts, etc.)

They were taken from the past into the future by future time-travellers.

They can't be found today because they don't exist "today".

893scratchchin-thumb.gif

When I was a kid, I used to think that I wanted to study time-travel when I grew up.

But I decided against it because I would have "visited" my childhood self if I was successful.

Since I never got a visit from my future-self, I decided I shouldn't make a career out of time-travel science.

But... I'm also pretty sure there's a paradox in my logic, too. grin.gifconfused-smiley-013.gif

One truism about the future is that the law of supply and demand will still apply... so if someone hijacked a bunch of NM Action #1s to the future, chances are they'd be worth less than today -- perhaps a veritable bargain!

the flip side to that is the hijacking of Action 1s in the past has led to scarcity today, and thus inflated prices for the future, which is when these theoretical hijackers would want to sell them at any rate.

now we can see where all those 9.8 BA books have actually gone to. hijackers from the future!

ooooooooooooo 893whatthe.gif

i thought they were merely teleporting light at this point.

Maybe the next step is small objects. I read about this last year. Unless their already into further development. Where's my time machine when ya need one. frustrated.gif Remind me to invent MEMORY PILLS.

I have read where they have created paticles of anti-matter now. Microscopic particles, but hey, its a start!

what about someone already at a position 2000 light years away looking at earth with a big magnifying glass? they don't have to overtake anything.

rob's point isn't trying to discuss theoretical physics. his point is that at a position 2000 light years away - hypothetically, u "should" be able to see jesus walking, if u had a strong-enough magnifying glass.

I've only read the first 4 pages of this thread, and found this post interesting. So if the magnifying glass scenario is true and the object is located 2000 light years away, then it's reflection of Earth would be from 4,000 years ago.

What if instead of travelling 2,000 light years away, we actually send an orbiter around Neptune with a large reflective magnifying screen. When our two planets are aligned, we blow up a mountain and send the image into space, and have the screen intercept it. Since it takes light a few minutes to reach the outer planets, would we actually be seeing a replay of how the mountain exploded just 10 minutes ago?

The one thing that still baffles me is the Deja Vu feeling that we all seem to get. A lot of people say that it's caused because the mind is overthinking things and is tired. However, what if there's a different reason. It can't be because our lives are constantly being looped around from the very beginning when we meet our fate. The reason why I say this is because when I get a Deja Vu feeling it feels like it happened only a week ago and not 80 years prior. When I'm in a scientific mood, I always wonder whether something terrible has happened to us 5 days from now, and to avoid that tragedy, our lives are looped back and our memories erased (except for that little glimmer). Another thought that creeps into my mind is what if I'm the only person that's a part of huge alien experiment. They've placed me or my mind in this world with all these strange images and various good or bad scenarios to see how I react. When I fail or perhaps fall over a cliff, they reverse time by a few days and watch or lead me along another path. Every now and then a tragic event happens to see how I react. Either that or I've been watching too much Sci-Fi TV. makepoint.gif

The one thing that still baffles me is the Deja Vu feeling that we all seem to get.

When some people that experience this and are hypnotized, they actually feel they have gone back in time. The ones that come out of it knowing stuff they didn't know before are the ones that are kind of are strange. There must be something to it. I remember some person that was hypnotized and was supposenly be sent back in time. When he was saying names of people he could not possibly have heard of. Now that is sure creepy. But it all may have been some kind of trick.

When I'm in a scientific mood, I always wonder whether something terrible has happened to us 5 days from now, and to avoid that tragedy, our lives are looped back and our memories erased (except for that little glimmer).

I've thought about that (science fictiony, not logically). What if we were given a chance to go back in time to relive a part of our lives, to avoid a tragedy, or to take advantage of a great opportunity. Since we were returned to a point before the tragedy, we would have no memory of it. Would we make the same mistakes again? What if this very moment, you have just returned to a time before a huge mistake. Does it change the way you live?

The one thing that still baffles me is the Deja Vu feeling that we all seem to get.

When some people that experience this and are hypnotized, they actually feel they have gone back in time. The ones that come out of it knowing stuff they didn't know before are the ones that are kind of are strange. There must be something to it. I remember some person that was hypnotized and was supposenly be sent back in time. When he was saying names of people he could not possibly have heard of. Now that is sure creepy. But it all may have been some kind of trick.

893whatthe.gif

When people get Deja Vu feelings, does it seem like the event occurred a few minutes, a week or years prior? Mine almost always feel like they happened about 1 or 2 weeks ago.

When I'm in a scientific mood, I always wonder whether something terrible has happened to us 5 days from now, and to avoid that tragedy, our lives are looped back and our memories erased (except for that little glimmer).

I've thought about that (science fictiony, not logically). What if we were given a chance to go back in time to relive a part of our lives, to avoid a tragedy, or to take advantage of a great opportunity. Since we were returned to a point before the tragedy, we would have no memory of it. Would we make the same mistakes again? What if this very moment, you have just returned to a time before a huge mistake. Does it change the way you live?

My take on this scenario is that unless us as unique individuals are the only people in the experiment, it would be kind of difficult to keep changing the time stream for 6 billion people. Another reason would be that this is actually our afterlife. Maybe we persihed many millenia ago and for each individual they get to replay snippets of their lives over and over again. This scenario also doesn't seem plausible because my Deja Vu feelings always seem to occur at some of the most mundane moments of my life (usually lasting between 2 and 10 seconds). I would think that if I've been recycled 2 million times, I'd remember major events like graduation, relationships, etc.. Unless of course these are the memories that are explicitely erased by the higher beings. makepoint.gif

When people get Deja Vu feelings, does it seem like the event occurred a few minutes, a week or years prior? Mine almost always feel like they happened about 1 or 2 weeks ago.

I once got Deja Vu in a mall, walking with certain friends in a neighboring town.

Since I know I hadn't been with those particular people in that particular mall in years,

I'm going to have to say my "Deja Vu" (that time) was years prior.

(Though I will concede that I could have dreamed the scenario the night before.)

I once got Deja Vu in a mall, walking with certain friends in a neighboring town.

Since I know I hadn't been with those particular people in that particular mall in years,

I'm going to have to say my "Deja Vu" (that time) was years prior.

(Though I will concede that I could have dreamed the scenario the night before.)

I'm not sure if the scenario you described above is more of a preminition/dream than Deja Vu.

Ok, so any theories on traveling FORWARD in time??? confused-smiley-013.gif

Ok, so any theories on traveling FORWARD in time??? confused-smiley-013.gif

My alien captures won't release my mind to think that far ahead. 27_laughing.gif

screwy.gif