• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Crack question

19 posts in this topic

Anybody here ever cracked open a case and re-submitted the book and actual recieved a higher grade on it? (And pressing the book before re-subbing doesnt count)! Or re-submitted a book to get re-cased and it came back at a higher grade?

Anybody here ever cracked open a case and re-submitted the book and actual recieved a higher grade on it? (And pressing the book before re-subbing doesnt count)! Or re-submitted a book to get re-cased and it came back at a higher grade?

No such luck, but I've heard cases (on these boards) of resubs recieving higher grades.

Anybody here ever cracked open a case and re-submitted the book and actual recieved a higher grade on it? (And pressing the book before re-subbing doesnt count)!

Yes. Cracked open alot of books when I was first buying slabs, including a certain book that was given a 9.0 old blue label, but appeared better to me. Resubmitted after 2 years of simply sitting in mylar with a backing board, the book received a 9.4 new blue label.

Also have had several books receive WORSE grades upon resubmission (and even two instances of unfavorable color changes on the label (!)).

Anybody here ever cracked open a case and re-submitted the book and actual recieved a higher grade on it? (And pressing the book before re-subbing doesnt count)!

Yes. Cracked open alot of books when I was first buying slabs, including a certain book that was given a 9.0 old blue label, but appeared better to me. Resubmitted it about 2 years later, and it received a 9.4 new blue label.

Also have had several books receive WORSE grades upon resubmission (and even two instances of color changes on the label).

893whatthe.gif on both counts... Your last account is definitely one of the few cases I've heard that dropped in grade. Was it SCS that caused the drop in grade?

Yes. Cracked open alot of books when I was first buying slabs, including a certain book that was given a 9.0 old blue label, but appeared better to me. Resubmitted it about 2 years later, and it received a 9.4 new blue label.

Also have had several books receive WORSE grades upon resubmission (and even two instances of color changes on the label).

Did it bother you that the grade or color notation changed? Was there something you did to warrant the change?

Jim

Did it bother me? yeahok.gifChristo_pull_hair.giffrustrated.gif The [embarrassing lack of self control] do you think?

Twice, I had books that were originally in old blue labels and had nothing done to them whatsoever come back in green labels - one book supposedly had staples cleaned (an FF 10 originally graded 9.0 blue that came back 8.5 green for the double whammy) and the other a detached centerfold at one staple.

Did it bother me? yeahok.gifChristo_pull_hair.giffrustrated.gif The [embarrassing lack of self control] do you think?

Twice, I had books that were originally in old blue labels and had nothing done to them whatsoever come back in green labels - one book supposedly had staples cleaned (an FF 10 originally graded 9.0 blue that came back 8.5 green for the double whammy) and the other a detached centerfold at one staple.

Did it bother you it wasn't caught the first time? Sounds like you were out a bit of money...

Jim

I crack and reslab books all the time in order to get them signed for signature series I have never had a case of a book recieving a higher grade. I personally think this is a myth.

Read above - old blue 9.0 to new blue 9.4 with nothing "done" at all. Frankly, I think the book was misgraded twice, since I thought it was a NM-.

If you choose not to believe me, that's your perogative, but it would certainly puzzle me why you would. Indeed, the only type of resubmissions for which I have never had a grade change are for those resubs that included the old label in the shipment.

WOW! Sorry to hear sorry.gif

I wonder though; in light of the calls for inaccurate grading, specifically with the recent Ewert fiasco, if resubs are sent in still encased in the inner-well with the previous label, if CGC would be inclined to contact the person on a colour change (lets say blue to green) as they have with the case of a Ewert book going from blue to purple because they missed the trim the first go around? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Is there anyway that CGC can keep track of all the issues they have graded? I never noticed if a comic has an individual number for each issue attached to it when its produced...

I sold an Avengers #10 CGC 8.5 to comicmankev who sent it to CGC and got a CGC 9.0.

I also know someone who sent a CGC 8.0 Daredevil #11 wich came back as a CGC 9.4 !

Unfortunately nothing like that happened to me frown.gif

The old blue 9.0 to new blue 9.4 occurred for an Amazing Spiderman #14 yay.gif - that spell it out enough for ya?

That one "made up" from a money standpoint for the two major books that went from blue to green, and my books that dropped a grade level, like my FF #5 confused.gif.

I sent a silver age book to CGC that was an 8.0 that was sold to me as a book released from its CGC shell (the seller included the label) and it got a 8.5. But I've never done it with comics already in my collection. I just tend to look for "nice" examples of the grades that I want.