• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

How times have changed!

28 posts in this topic

Been watching the old Spidey & His Amazing Friends show (w/Iceman & Firestar... remember??? The good old days of cartoons! thumbsup2.gif)

Anyways, this mornings had Bruce Banner in it...he got on a bus with the three heroes (they were in Hollywood shooting a movie) and he sees them and says:

B.B.: Superheros? On a bus? What are you advertising?

Spidey (upside down on the bus roof..tell me he would get away with that on a real bus!): Comic books.

B.B.: If I had 50 cents, Id buy one from you.

Remember those days cloud9.gif...how many of us now would be able to get away with taking 3 bucks from your parents change after going to the store for them to buy just one book! 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Been watching the old Spidey & His Amazing Friends show (w/Iceman & Firestar... remember??? The good old days of cartoons! thumbsup2.gif)

Anyways, this mornings had Bruce Banner in it...he got on a bus with the three heroes (they were in Hollywood shooting a movie) and he sees them and says:

Spidey (upside down on the bus roof..tell me he would get away with that on a real bus!): Comic books.

Remember those days cloud9.gif...how many of us now would be able to get away with taking 3 bucks from your parents change after going to the store for them to buy just one book! 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

confused.gif Your post is all over the place...what's your point?

Jim

Hands down that is the strangest thing i've ever read confused-smiley-013.gif

Any chance your next post could come complete with sub-titles? confused-smiley-013.gif

Jim

Just being nostalgic... shy.gif

Jim

...and incoherent.... poke2.gif

Jim

...and incoherent.... poke2.gif

Is this being incoherent... 893censored-thumb.gif??

I don't get the antagonism, as I thought it was pretty clear.

The guy was watching an old cartoon he enjoyed when he was younger, saw a segment where Bruce Banner mentions that comics were only 50-cents, and suddenly got nostalgic for the "old days" when comics were affordable to kids, rather than priced towards adults with FT jobs.

Just in passing I've asked a few of my parent's generation what they feel is equitable with "25-cents from the mid-70's" and they all replied "a dollar". That's the way I feel as well, and tossing a looney down to buy ANY new comic would seem to be "kid pricing" today.

The guy was watching an old cartoon he enjoyed when he was younger, saw a segment where Bruce Banner mentions that comics were only 50-cents, and suddenly got nostalgic for the "old days" when comics were affordable to kids, rather than priced towards adults with FT jobs.

Just in passing I've asked a few of my parent's generation what they feel is equitable with "25-cents from the mid-70's" and they all replied "a dollar". That's the way I feel as well, and tossing a looney down to buy ANY new comic would seem to be "kid pricing" today.

thumbsup2.gif

thumbsup2.gif

You could have started so coherently... poke2.gif

Jim

thumbsup2.gif

You could have started so coherently... poke2.gif

Jim

Forgive me...I have been up for 20 hours now! sleeping.gif

Well...it's well estabished that comics have been overpriced for the last 10 years. They are no longer impulse buys...but rather one time buys. Either you like them or not. And looking at new kids coming in to the hobby it looks like it's not...

Jim

My point: Its nice to be able to go back and see something that had an influence on your life (a few of the episodes had the X-Men and thats when I became hooked on them)...but it also raised up a problem with todays book pricing and the fact that kids arent as lucky today as we were when we were their age...

I used to love that show. Didn't it always play back to back with the Incredible Hulk cartoon?

I remember when comics started making the crazy jumps in price. T0 me it was the beginning of their downfall. No longer was it a nickel jump but 10 cents to 25 cent and then more frequently, then BAM! $2.99 and more. Same trend happened with Mad magazine which as a kid I collected more than comics. You could also see this happening with sportscards as well. I don't think there's any coincidence that these mediums took a turn for the worse in the middle/late 80s and 90s.

cliffnotes_logo.gif

CliffNotes version...

Bruce Banner says "Superheros? On a bus? What are you advertising?"

Spider-man replies "Comic books."

Bruce Banner retorts "If I had 50 cents, Id buy one from you."

The implication that back when that cartoon aired, comics were still cheap (50 cents).

thumbsup2.gif

Don't sweat the yokles in the peanut gallery. I understood you perfectly. thumbsup2.gif

but it also raised up a problem with todays book pricing and the fact that kids arent as lucky today as we were when we were their age...

I totally disagree. Sure they don't have comics, but now I can buy virtually any DVD cartoon or animated movie for my kids, stuff that I would have killed for as a young tyke. There are also kick-hass video games, computer programs, and all manner of incredibly fun stuff for kids, that they just lap up.

Access to media is just insane these days, and it's easy to forget just how difficult things were to attain when many of us were kids. Even recent stuff like "limited edition" Disney movies are far more available in the DVD age.

Sure, comics are adult-only now and destined to fall off the map, but kids are far from "unlucky" these days.

thumbsup2.gif

Don't sweat the yokles in the peanut gallery. I understood you perfectly. thumbsup2.gif

Me too. thumbsup2.gif

Having kids, I agree completely with your statement. The things todays kids have available to them, I would have loved to have growing up.

Maybe, but I also remember exploring the woods near my house with friends, playing pickup baseball and football, looking for "treasure" on fall cleanup days, and just running around on weekend nights. With all the stuff kids have these days to keep them indoors and staring at a screen, are they really better off. I know I wouldn't trade any of those memories for ones where I watched DVDs or played X-Box. confused-smiley-013.gif