• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

CGC VS PGX GRADED COMICS. WHICH IS BETTER?

95 posts in this topic

I hate seeing PGX referred to as "them". I've never seen any concrete proof than PGX is anything but Daniel Patterson in his garage. That's a minus for me. I want to know who's on the grading team.

But a VF comic is a VF comic, regardless of whose slab it's in. I have seen no evidence that PGX calls VG comics "VF", as I have with some eBay dealers. I don't own any PGX comics right now, but would not rule out a purchase for a deal on an otherwise higher-priced CGC graded book. Assuming the price break allowed for a 0.5 grade discrepancy.

On that same note though, I, or many of us here, could grade accurately enough to distinguish a VG and a VF book.

What concerns me most is PGX and their 9.9 grades. The fact that nearly all have been awarded to one seller and the fact that although grading less books, there seem to be more PGX 9.9s out in the marketplace.

I wouldn't want to pay ultra-premiums for a PGX 9.9 book that could turn out to be a CGC 9.8 book.

As many others would say, buy the book, not the number. I buy both PGX(A) CGG and CGC because of the book inside. If I want to flip a PGX, I send it in to CGC and so far all but one have come back in higher grade, the other stayed the same. All have come back in the same page quality too. Except for one PGX OW/W that came back from CGC as White pages.

I will say what I have always have said.

Of the 3 books I sent in that were PGX, all came back with lower grades from CGC.

All 3 of those books in their PGX cases were listed on eBay and failed to meet anywhere close to their CGC counterparts.

All in all, I hate to say it but I think PGX is a guy working in his mom's basement. Certain forum members have told me they have tried to schedule meetings or face to face sitdowns but were denied by PGX(Patterson)

I am at the least happy to think that with all of CGC's shortcomings, they at least have an office, and a staff with names and members. I for one have stopped even considering sending anything to PGX and anything I wish to have graded goes straight to CGC.

I hate seeing PGX referred to as "them". I've never seen any concrete proof than PGX is anything but Daniel Patterson in his garage. That's a minus for me. I want to know who's on the grading team.

But a VF comic is a VF comic, regardless of whose slab it's in. I have seen no evidence that PGX calls VG comics "VF", as I have with some eBay dealers. I don't own any PGX comics right now, but would not rule out a purchase for a deal on an otherwise higher-priced CGC graded book. Assuming the price break allowed for a 0.5 grade discrepancy.

On that same note though, I, or many of us here, could grade accurately enough to distinguish a VG and a VF book.

What concerns me most is PGX and their 9.9 grades. The fact that nearly all have been awarded to one seller and the fact that although grading less books, there seem to be more PGX 9.9s out in the marketplace.

I wouldn't want to pay ultra-premiums for a PGX 9.9 book that could turn out to be a CGC 9.8 book.

As many others would say, buy the book, not the number. I buy both PGX(A) CGG and CGC because of the book inside. If I want to flip a PGX, I send it in to CGC and so far all but one have come back in higher grade, the other stayed the same. All have come back in the same page quality too. Except for one PGX OW/W that came back from CGC as White pages.

Hard not to have to trust the label a little bit when trying to discern between 9.6, 9.8, 9.9 and 10.0 via a scan on the internet. I've bought raw books before on eBay described as MINT and they sure looked perfect in the scan, but upon receiving the book, I could see all the little defects that didn't appear.

It's these experiences by buyers that raised the need for grading companies and created the multiples paid for books in said grades.

Red

All in all, I hate to say it but I think PGX is a guy working in his mom's basement. Certain forum members have told me they have tried to schedule meetings or face to face sitdowns but were denied by PGX(Patterson)

I cannot remember why now, over a year ago I called PGX/Patterson. I think it might have even been this same subject. Who they were, and what their working envoriment was exactly. Told him I was on the CGC boards and was surprised he spoke with me in detail about quite a few topics.

Anyways, If I remember correctly he said PGX is on private poperty. In a seperate building that was built for PGX. It is a stand alone building from the house...some might call it a garage.

Ze-

Regarding ACE .... I found this during my own research ...

STL Comics ACE Interview

Personally, if it's a book for my own collection I see no reason not to slab it with PGX or ACE or CGC. But if I'm trying to turn the book over and make a few bucks it's hard to argue the premium that CGC graded books achieve. I think this will change once the other services grow larger.

Some might call it a van down by the river.

You dont understand, those bubble moon windows in the van are EXCELLENT to grade comics by, especially good for detecting resto.

Ze-

As many others would say, buy the book, not the number. I buy both PGX(A) CGG and CGC because of the book inside. If I want to flip a PGX, I send it in to CGC

But WHY do you send it to CGC if you want to flip it?

You do it becase people DON'T "buy the book, not the number." The number and label sells the books, and we all know it. That's why you resubmit before flipping it.

In a seperate building that was built for PGX. It is a stand alone building from the house...some might call it a garage.

You can get one of those vinyl 10x10 garden sheds from Home Depot for around $800. If you want the prefab foundation however, that's extra.

893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Last time I saw ACE books on Ebay, they were being sold by the guy who runs that company! Serious conflict of interest. I wonder if this has changed...

Hi, infinite_comics...a.k.a read_em...a.k.a. slab_em. hi.gif

893whatthe.gif