• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

CGC VS PGX GRADED COMICS. WHICH IS BETTER?

95 posts in this topic

Okay, I've been thinking of getting some comics graded and have been looking at CGC for a while. Now I was told about this PGX company as well. And comparing prices they are a little cheaper. However, I don't know much about them. Nice website and all and I see there are some books on ebay that are graded by them that are commanding good prices. My question is: Has anyone here used them? How do they compare to CGC?

Okay, I've been thinking of getting some comics graded and have been looking at CGC for a while. Now I was told about this PGX company as well. And comparing prices they are a little cheaper. However, I don't know much about them. Nice website and all and I see there are some books on ebay that are graded by them that are commanding good prices. My question is: Has anyone here used them? How do they compare to CGC?

Cheaper. Better cases. Decent grading. Faster turn-around.

Question mark over their ability to detect resto...which puts them in exactly the same boat as CGC.

Hell, give them a go! thumbsup2.gif

There are positives and negatives to both but I have found that the best way to approach both companies is to use them both for different types of submissions.

CGC - definitely ALL Modern submissions due to PGX's strictness on high grade moderns. Also anything of high value and anything that has a chance of being restored.

PGX - Low/Mid-grade Silver/early bronze issues valued at less than $100.

I use P.G.X. when I have a C.O.A. or letter to go with the comic.

As far as grading they both do good work.

Since C.G.C. was the first into this type of business they are the leaders.

P.G.X. is in the hunt and is being recognized as a grading house.

Just my opponent

Neither are. Breal em open and read!!

Breal = break?? confused-smiley-013.gif

And if you are planning on selling...PGX "generally" bring lower prices from what I've seen. But...if you are keeping, I like the PGX slabs better from an aesthetics perspective.

I think PGX bringing lower prices is somewhat of a myth. Considering all the variables for eBay listings (scan sizes, seller feedback, ending times, shipping fees, etc.) realized prices seem fairly tight between the two.

Here's a couple:

Amazing Spiderman #9 PGX 8.5 $1125.00 (last two reported on GPA for CGC 8.5: $1,150.00 and $1,006.25) Ebay

Iron Fist 14 PGX 9.0 $137.50 (last reported on GPA for CGC 9.0 $113.61) Ebay

What i like about PGX is that you don't have to go through a dealer. You deal straight with them. That IMO is a huge bonus. They are also cheaper and *apparently* have a better slab.

Im intrested in why people think the PGX slab looks better than the CGC? I own a few CGC but no PGX yet and from the pictures i think that the CGC look much better. The labels especially look ugly on the PGX.

What i like about PGX is that you don't have to go through a dealer. You deal straight with them. That IMO is a huge bonus. They are also cheaper and *apparently* have a better slab.

Im intrested in why people think the PGX slab looks better than the CGC? I own a few CGC but no PGX yet and from the pictures i think that the CGC look much better. The labels especially look ugly on the PGX.

I AGREE.

CGC has better looking slabs. PGX is well........newish. lol

If I wanted to have my ASM #300 slabbed, would I do it via PGX or CGC?

I know the second poster on page 1 said for all moderns to go through

CGC (Which I woukld like to) but idk for sure..

Amazing Spiderman #9 PGX 8.5 $1125.00 (last two reported on GPA for CGC 8.5: $1,150.00 and $1,006.25) Ebay

Those don't mean anything. Anyone in here could probably post hundreds of comparisons that would show CGC prices bringing a higher premium.

And if you are planning on selling...PGX "generally" bring lower prices from what I've seen. But...if you are keeping, I like the PGX slabs better from an aesthetics perspective.

I think PGX bringing lower prices is somewhat of a myth. Considering all the variables for eBay listings (scan sizes, seller feedback, ending times, shipping fees, etc.) realized prices seem fairly tight between the two.

Here's a couple:

Picking specific values, you can basically skew your argument towards anything. What your representing here are a couple of books, at a particular point in time and handful of results. Statistically, you cannot come to any real conclusions.

Take the following stats: there are currently over 19,000 CGC books available on eBay (between auctions and store items), and just over 1,200 CGG,PGA,PGX books - that's a ratio of almost 16 to 1. Prices realized make the comparison means even less, with only a handful of prices over $1000 over the past month (in fact a total of 3).

With those kind of number for PGX books, you're just never going to get any meaningful statistical comparisons.

Here's a couple:

Picking specific values, you can basically skew your argument towards anything. What your representing here are a couple of books, at a particular point in time and handful of results. Statistically, you cannot come to any real conclusions.

Take the following stats: there are currently over 19,000 CGC books available on eBay (between auctions and store items), and just over 1,200 CGG,PGA,PGX books - that's a ratio of almost 16 to 1. Prices realized make the comparison means even less, with only a handful of prices over $1000 over the past month (in fact a total of 3).

With those kind of number for PGX books, you're just never going to get any meaningful statistical comparisons.

just from my ebay observations most CGC books fetch a premium over PGX graded books!

My post wasn't meant as an argument or statistical analysis, just an observation. From time to time over the years I see posts "PGX always sell for less" (than CGC) and it's certainly easy enough to look. So I go and look at recent eBay PGX completed sales and compare it to the last GPA for the same issue/grade. That's all, anyone can do it.

If the myth were true wouldn't the PGX sold-for numbers show it? Consistently lower, whenever you decide to take a look and compare them to CGC sales? confused-smiley-013.gif

just from my ebay observations most CGC books fetch a premium over PGX graded books!

I've sold hundreds of CGC graded books on Ebay, mostly mid 60s to current, as well as about 100 CGG/PGA/PGX graded books on Ebay and I'll say that from my experience, without a doubt CGC graded books on average sell for more. Some people simply won't buy a PGX graded book because they only buy CGC graded books and don't want anything that doesn't match in their collection (or so I assume). BUT, having those Silver books returned in less than a month from PGX and at almost half the price beats CGC's 2-3 month turnaround. Sometimes the cheaper slab fee and faster turnaround beats the higher sales potential.

Not another similar thread! For the umpteenth time. PGX or whatever their acronym is these guys are wanabees. They are copykat sissies. 'Nuf said.

Im glad not everyone thinks like that. PGX is a great thing for the industry. CGC needs a competitor or else they could pretty much do as they please. Im not saying one is better than the other but rather that there is a place for both and long may that continue.