• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Famous Lettercol Writers

50 posts in this topic

That is pretty odd.

I think JLA 5 (?) has letters from both Roy Thomas and Jerry Bails.

Once you start hitting early bronze age you get tons of letters from guys who would be pros very soon. Everyone from Don MacGregor to Klaus Janson.

Then there are the ones famous for just writing letters like Guy H. Lillian III or T.M. Maple.

Marc

wait a sec!! wasnt Roy THomas just about an insider then?? WHADDAYABET THEY HAD TALKED ABOUT IT beforehand and cooked up that letter. (in a good way, that is, just simple 1960s guerilla marketing, kinda) And JS chose to noyt comment since Roy's letter serves to introduce the GA characters to the SA audience subtly??

hey - - somebody ask Roy!

That is pretty odd.

Once you start hitting early bronze age you get tons of letters from guys who would be pros very soon. Everyone from Don MacGregor to Klaus Janson.

Then there are the ones famous for just writing letters like Guy H. Lillian III or T.M. Maple.

Marc

A comics letterpage, the internet chatroom of yesteryear.

Anyone ever name a letter page?..or at least send in suggestions when a title was new?

Ze-

That is pretty odd.

Marc

Marc - i tried to find the letters page you mentioned to post a scan but it doesn't exist in the issues # 2-7 that i was able to grab and look through. in those 6 issues Jerry Bails was published twice and Roy Thomas, once, but not together.

a couple of interesting (IMHO) observations nonetheless;

about a third of the letters were from GIRLS!!! 893whatthe.gif27_laughing.gif

and Jerry Bails wrote a letter "ranking" the popularity of the members of the early JLA by the youngsters in his neighborhood to whom he would read the books each month when they came out. (would also "project" the pictures onto a wall so all could follow along). Superman was #1 and Batman was dead last!!! 893whatthe.gif

I've had a a few letters printed over the years. It was always fun to find a letter printed and see how the editor responded.

Until...

I emailed Brian Michael Bendis about his book "Fortune & Glory". I was very complimentary, even said that the series had taught me more about the business of Hollywood than any other book I'd read. I ended by mentioning that I had just completed a feature -script that would soon be going out to producers. Bendis printed my email in the letters page of the next issue...

...and proceeded to rip me a new one, using language so fowl that I was too embarrassed to even show his response to my wife. Apparently, he was under the impression that I wanted his help with my -script? I'm uncertain to this day.

I think he's a hell of a writer. But my opinion of him as a person diminished substantially as a result of that. It was truly bizarre.

I've had a a few letters printed over the years. It was always fun to find a letter printed and see how the editor responded.

Until...

I emailed Brian Michael Bendis about his book "Fortune & Glory". I was very complimentary, even said that the series had taught me more about the business of Hollywood than any other book I'd read. I ended by mentioning that I had just completed a feature -script that would soon be going out to producers. Bendis printed my email in the letters page of the next issue...

...and proceeded to rip me a new one, using language so fowl that I was too embarrassed to even show his response to my wife. Apparently, he was under the impression that I wanted his help with my -script? I'm uncertain to this day.

I think he's a hell of a writer. But my opinion of him as a person diminished substantially as a result of that. It was truly bizarre.

He gets off on being a jerk; that's no big secret. His writing (and to some extent, his general demeanor) seems to attract the same demographic as the Howard Stern Show. I wouldn't feel too bad if I were you.

(Fortune & Glory was a great book, though!)

...sooo, did you send him your -script?? ; )

27_laughing.gif I'd sooner make him eat it than let him read it. That particular -script was read by a lot of people, and got me several good meetings. It presently makes an excellent doorstop.

Ever since I read this thread I have been paying closer attention to a comics letterpage.

While not a famous person, I did a double take when I saw where this person was from, my wife did not even believe me.

Taken from AA #14

letterpage.JPG

Those of you who hail from large cities might not find it amusing to see your city mentioned, but this was a first for me. The town of Zionsville where I live is still a very small town, but back it 1972 it was not even speck on the map.

Ze-

Looked him up, no longer listed.

From the tone of his letter, he did not seem to be some stupid young kid. But a bit older?

Would be too funny to call him

"Hello, my name is Ze- , I saw the letter you wrote"

Carl-"What letter are you talking about?"

"The one you wrote to Amazing Adventures in 1972"

Carl-" 893whatthe.gif"

"Hello?... Carl you still there?"

Ze-

I didn't realize until last year when reading an old Bulpen Bulletins that Mark Evanier invented the Hallowed Ranks of Marveldom.

And who was Beppe Sabatini? I used to see letters from him all the time. I remember a truly surreal one from Hulk 196 or 197 making a very bizarre reference to 193. I still never figured out what he was talking about.

And who was Beppe Sabatini? I used to see letters from him all the time. I remember a truly surreal one from Hulk 196 or 197 making a very bizarre reference to 193. I still never figured out what he was talking about.

Speaking of bizzare references and Beppe Sabatini...This has been bothering me for a couple of years now. A lot time ago there was a post on these here forums...

How ironic that you post that letters page for the Busiek letter, when it also contains the missive of one Beppe Sabatini, a/k/a our little Bugaboo! Wow!

So... was Beppe really Bug? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Are you really Beppe? insane.gif

Speaking of bizzare references and Beppe Sabatini...This has been bothering me for a couple of years now. A lot time ago there was a post on these here forums...

How ironic that you post that letters page for the Busiek letter, when it also contains the missive of one Beppe Sabatini, a/k/a our little Bugaboo! Wow!

So... was Beppe really Bug? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Are you really Beppe? insane.gif

Naw. As a nodding Dr. Smith often exclaimed, "I'M INNOCENT!"

I was just curious about Beppe. Dawson Palmer, too, for that matter. But I digress.

These posts also got me thinking about Macchio, whose anti-Kirby rants upon the King's return to Marvel - especially in Captain America - were incredibly obnoxious. mad.gif

These posts also got me thinking about Macchio, whose anti-Kirby rants upon the King's return to Marvel - especially in Captain America - were incredibly obnoxious. mad.gif

I agreed 100% with Macchio. Even as a 12-year old, I felt I could write better than Kirby. Mad Bomb? Please. Kirby's art wasn't what I expected from reading SA Marvel reprints, either. It didn't even match his 4th World work at DC. As a huge Cap fan at the time, and a big fan of Kirby's work in FF and Thor, Kirby's return to Marvel was a huge disappointment, and among the junior high set he became a big joke as he rolled out more titles at Marvel.