• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Your Grail: You Own a 9.8. A 9.9 Shows Up. Are You Tempted?

40 posts in this topic

I don't own any 9.9's or 10's, but there's a few books I wouldn't mind in 9.9. If the book clearly looked better, had perfect centering and image area, I might go for it. I certainlly wouldn't mind a Star Wars 1 9.9.

Yea, I can be a egotistical [embarrassing lack of self control].

I sent several ASM #238's into CGC and whilst a few came back in 9.8, one came back in 9.9. I can confirm from grading the books raw before I sent them in, and also checking them post slabbing, I could not see a difference in quality between the NM/M and MT copies. (and I am a pretty tight grader shy.gif ) Both the 9.9, and a couple of the 9.8's had a 1/64th stress line as the only flaw on the book.

Each to their own, but with the price differential being about 5 to 1 between the 9.9 and the 9.8 copies i would personally not pay this mark-up to upgrade.

Half of my Frank Miller Daredevils 9.8 could be 9.9s. My 9.8s are highest grade anyway so I can flaunt a little bit. They have the old label but I just decided to sell some of them and let the buyer worry about it.

Let's just say that I would NEVER pay the money for a CGC 9.9 or 10.0. At that point, I guarantee CGC would not be able to tell the difference upon resubmit. Just opening the book to do a page count, the encapsulation process, and shipping the book, would have dropped the grade anyway.

Those two are what I call "sucker grades".

That's the real point. You are NOT getting a higher grade comic when you go from 9.8 to 9.9 TO 10.0.

Basically these so called 'Mint' grades (9.9 and 10.0) are manufactured collectables. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I sent several ASM #238's into CGC and whilst a few came back in 9.8, one came back in 9.9. I can confirm from grading the books raw before I sent them in, and also checking them post slabbing, I could not see a difference in quality between the NM/M and MT copies. (and I am a pretty tight grader shy.gif ) Both the 9.9, and a couple of the 9.8's had a 1/64th stress line as the only flaw on the book.

Each to their own, but with the price differential being about 5 to 1 between the 9.9 and the 9.8 copies i would personally not pay this mark-up to upgrade.

Yup, even being the label whore that I am, the difference between 9.8 and 9.9 is too ephemeral, and the price differential too huge, to justify it. Anyways, I'm old skool and don't believe there's such a thing as a mint book.

Yup, even being the label whore that I am, the difference between 9.8 and 9.9 is too ephemeral, and the price differential too huge, to justify it. Anyways, I'm old skool and don't believe there's such a thing as a mint book.

893whatthe.gif No longer will you be know as a know-nothing geezer! The worm is definitely turning! 893whatthe.gif

893whatthe.gif No longer will you be know as a know-nothing geezer! The worm is definitely turning! 893whatthe.gif

yeahok.gif

yeahok.gif

confused-smiley-013.gif

Pretending for a moment I believed there was any differrence between 9.8/9.9/10.0 - most of my grails are GA - and I would be ecstatic if I had them all in 8.0, and if I did I probably couldn't be bothered to upgrade any higher.

No, because it doesn't matter that much to me. You get it and then what? .1 is not that big a difference but the price is. I have learned we are really not owners of the comic books, just caretakers for the moment. These books may be treasures to us, but they will be hassels for our relatives when we die and they will be glad to dump off to the first guy who makes an offer to unload the boxes of comics.

Heck, I might even think about upgrading a key issue to a certain extent, but not something stupid like CGC 9.8 to 9.9. screwy.gif

some would say the 9.6 to 9.8 upgrade is equally screwy...

the question i guess is... where do u draw YOUR line?

I would probably not upgrade a 9.4 and definetly not a 9.6. This 9.8-10 is nonsense.

Agree completely.

It's not that I don't like/want a nicer copy of any book in my collection, but I'm not willing to pay the price differential for a 9.8 (or even a 9.6 or 9.4) book.

Agree completely.

It's not that I don't like/want a nicer copy of any book in my collection, but I'm not willing to pay the price differential for a 9.8 (or even a 9.6 or 9.4) book.

If I could get the 9.9 at the 9.4 price, yes. Since that is not possible, I would rather have a lower grade book and buy a flat screen TV or a DSLR camera or something else that I can have fun with instead of keeping behind plastic and in storage so I could impress the one or two people I know that would appreciate a 9.9 comic.

Agree completely.

If I could get the 9.9 at the 9.4 price, yes. Since that is not possible, I would rather have a lower grade book and buy a flat screen TV or a DSLR camera or something else that I can have fun with instead of keeping behind plastic and in storage so I could impress the one or two people I know that would appreciate a 9.9 comic.

27_laughing.gif893applaud-thumb.gifthumbsup2.gif

u could always sell ur 9.4, buy the 9.9 AND buy the flat screen TV or DSLR.

confused-smiley-013.gif