• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Your Grail: You Own a 9.8. A 9.9 Shows Up. Are You Tempted?

40 posts in this topic

this seems like a better question - and more the question that i had in mind when i started the other thread.

so... ?

(to contribute to my own thead - i'd say that i WOULD be tempted - if that means i'd at least think about getting the better copy).

Ive seen a few 9.9 that would be upgrades of the ones I own...but the seller wanted WAAAAY to much for a .1 upgrade! 893naughty-thumb.gif

this seems like a better question - and more the question that i had in mind when i started the other thread.

so... ?

(to contribute to my own thead - i'd say that i WOULD be tempted - if that means i'd at least think about getting the better copy).

No...not in the least. The difference between 9.8 and 9.9 is infinitesimal. The only reason to upgrade is ego driven. And even then, depending on the humidity, attitude, or incontinence of the grader on a given day, your 9.8 could trump the 9.9.

The only reason to own the 9.9 comes down to how much you want to flaunt it to other collectors. And I don't play that game...

Jim

suppose u get to handle the 9.9 and u KNOW it to be superior.

this is intended to be a discussion about getting a better comic - not about the inconsistencies of CGC grading.

the 9.9 is better than your 9.8 grail. do u think about buying it?

some here might recall about 2 1/2 years back when a Hulk 181 9.8 went on ebay. it finished around $19 000?

anyways - our friend bronzebruce (IIRC) said that was his grail and was seriously thinking about making a run for it, even though he had a 9.6 W.

I don't own any 9.8's yet... frown.gif...

but, if I did, I would definitely consider the upgrade especially if the book had greater eye appeal...I might keep both, but for me, it's about which book looks the best regardless of the grade...I'd rather have a beautifully centered 9.4 than a 9.6 with that nasty strip of white on the spine...

this is intended to be a discussion about getting a better comic - not about the inconsistencies of CGC grading.

Still no...as long as my comic is nice, and a 9.8 is pretty much the best out there, irregardless whether there's one that might trump it, I feel no obligation whatsoever to go for the 9.9. Again, I feel the mentality you're getting at is ego-centric. Why have the 9.9 unless I want to flaunt it to others? It doesn't make sense. I don't need to justify my collection to others. I'm content to having a nice collection on my own...

Jim

why do u possess the 9.8 that you're happy with? maybe it's nothing other than to "flaunt to others"?

i think people are capable of obtaining the best for the mere value that owning the best brings to them, and not necessarily as a means to flaunt an object in front of others.

you seem to be assuming too much. again - this is a PERSONAL grail - others may not even have an interest in it.

anyways - our friend bronzebruce (IIRC) said that was his grail and was seriously thinking about making a run for it, even though he had a 9.6 W.

But that's not what we're talking about.

Heck, I might even think about upgrading a key issue to a certain extent, but not something stupid like CGC 9.8 to 9.9. screwy.gif

I don't need to justify my collection to others. I'm content to having a nice collection on my own...

Jim

that's the point i'm getting at. some people want the 9.9 and have the same goal as u. ur goal and wanting the 9.9 are not mutually-exclusive events.

Heck, I might even think about upgrading a key issue to a certain extent, but not something stupid like CGC 9.8 to 9.9. screwy.gif

some would say the 9.6 to 9.8 upgrade is equally screwy...

the question i guess is... where do u draw YOUR line?

Let's just say that I would NEVER pay the money for a CGC 9.9 or 10.0. At that point, I guarantee CGC would not be able to tell the difference upon resubmit. Just opening the book to do a page count, the encapsulation process, and shipping the book, would have dropped the grade anyway.

Those two are what I call "sucker grades".

I would probably not upgrade a 9.4 and definetly not a 9.6. This 9.8-10 is nonsense.

why do u possess the 9.8 that you're happy with? maybe it's nothing other than to "flaunt to others"?

i think people are capable of obtaining the best for the mere value that owning the best brings to them, and not necessarily as a means to flaunt an object in front of others.

you seem to be assuming too much. again - this is a PERSONAL grail - others may not even have an interest in it.

I'm not sure where you're going with this thread evidently...I wouldn't upgrade and gave you the reason for it. I'm not a "best for the sake of having the best" guy, especially when you're talking about the minute change between a 9.8 or 9.9. I think those guys are doing so strictly to stroke their own egos.

No comic will make me jump through those hoops...is that better?

Jim

I'm not sure where you're going with this thread evidently...I wouldn't upgrade and gave you the reason for it. I'm not a "best for the sake of having the best" guy, especially when you're talking about the minute change between a 9.8 or 9.9. I think those guys are doing so strictly to stroke their own egos.

No comic will make me jump through those hoops...is that better?

Jim

I agree with this statement. Let's put it this way, why would I pay another $500 for a superficial upgrade, if I can spend that additional money purchasing a nice 60-year old GA book. That 1/64th" corner pinch is not worth more than a 9.0 copy of "Sensation Comics". At least not to me...........same thing with a 9.6 to a 9.8 upgrade. This is just being practical IMO.

I draw the line at 10.0 27_laughing.gif

I generally shoot for 9.8s as to me they seem to be a fairly flawless book. I don't own any 9.9s and I have one 10.0. Basically whether or not I would choose in getting a higher graded copy would depend on the price. If I think it's a great deal, then sure I would, but I don't think I'd need to spend even more rediculous multiples over and above what I've already spent obtaining the 9.8.

I see what you're saying about the different HGs though. One could have this same view in terms of collecting 9.6s and would think there's no need spending the heavier multiples to get anything higher like a 9.8.

People have all kinds of different reasons and motives in their collecting. Some are perfectionists, some are ego driven, some are investing, some are speculating and so on. To each their own I say and just spend and buy what you are willing to be happy with.

if I have a 9.2 that looks nice I wouldn't upgtade to a 9.4, 9.6, or a 9.8(As long as we're talking early bronze, silver, or gold --copper and up have to be 9.8's right?). For me, it's just a matter of owning the key in a "collectable" grade. Of course, I've bought higher grades. It just depends on cash flow at the time of purchase and availability of said comic. Long story short, NO.

I would.