• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

2nd Prints With Higher Values Than The Original?

50 posts in this topic

The new variant trend is for DC and Marvel to reprint books with new cover artwork. Therefore meaning many people will also pick up the 2nd printing and sometimes even a 3rd printing. I'll be the first to admit that i've always enjoyed variant covers. Not at the rate they are coming out now and certainly not at the rate of 10 years ago but i have no problem with the occasional variant, especially for a special book.

While researching i came across the following Batman books. Both 608 and 612 reprints have a $15 value higher than the original. At first i thought it was a typo but it is on 2 separate books.

http://www.comicspriceguide.com/p-issues.asp?t_ID=273&p=7

I can understand the rational that as well as having new covers, these books are much scarcer than the first printing simply because retailers would never order higher amounts of a reprint (unless it was a late hit. Certainly not Jim Lee on Batman!). The only other instance i've ever know a reprint to be worth more than the original is the McFarlane Spider-Man gold cover with the UPC. Never understood that one either.

Would just like to hear peoples opinions. Are reprints collectable now? The anti-modern, anti-variant brigade can stay away please.

I still collect and read moderns and no matter if they call it 2nd print, reprint or variant edition I do not want one unless I have a 1st print also.

That being said, the reprints, variant prints etc. are beginning to remind me of the gold 2nd prints marvel did...this was the start of the 90's burst (but not the only reason for it)

I do remember a few 2nd prints etc, that had additional story back-up stoires, but they were B&W independients

The new variant trend is for DC and Marvel to reprint books with new cover artwork. Therefore meaning many people will also pick up the 2nd printing and sometimes even a 3rd printing. I'll be the first to admit that i've always enjoyed variant covers. Not at the rate they are coming out now and certainly not at the rate of 10 years ago but i have no problem with the occasional variant, especially for a special book.

While researching i came across the following Batman books. Both 608 and 612 reprints have a $15 value higher than the original. At first i thought it was a typo but it is on 2 separate books.

http://www.comicspriceguide.com/p-issues.asp?t_ID=273&p=7

I can understand the rational that as well as having new covers, these books are much scarcer than the first printing simply because retailers would never order higher amounts of a reprint (unless it was a late hit. Certainly not Jim Lee on Batman!). The only other instance i've ever know a reprint to be worth more than the original is the McFarlane Spider-Man gold cover with the UPC. Never understood that one either.

Would just like to hear peoples opinions. Are reprints collectable now? The anti-modern, anti-variant brigade can stay away please.

Of those two books you mentioned, the 2nd prints are in much higher demand. The 2nd print of 608 I believe is the Lee cover with Batman standing high atop Gotham, which matches Lee's cover to Superman 204.

The thing is, most sellers do not even say that the book is a second printing anymore and people don't seem to mind. This from reputable eBay sellers too. It took me ages to understand how the variants on the Spider-Man "Other" story worked simply because none of the sellers would list it in their auction.

Anyone that wants to know:

"The Other" Parts 1-9 "variants" are reprints. Parts 10-12 variants are first prints. While ASM 528 also has a third cover which is also a 1st print. Confusing or what?

I've been thinking about this a little too. I'll always want the first edition of anything. However, if second prints have such a tiny print run, in 5, 10, or 20 years, mabye it won't even matter. Maybe people will want to get the lower print run, not the first edition.

I kinda always thought that if the varient cover of any book comes out

with the regular cover on the same day, there both 1rst prints.

Like my Wolverine #36, I have the original print, and the varient cover.

And they both came out the same day, so I kinda think their both first prints.

But diffrent covers. So to me, it isn't confusing.

Hi, hi.gifIMO, the simple answer to your question for the majority of comics with variant covers is probably no, but there will be exceptions and only time will tell.

The examples shown however, depict more than simple re-prints. Some of these Dealer incentive variants" have limited copies ( so they say), so these copies might have a better chance of retaining some value. Still..one has to really wonder about the actual # of these "dealer incentives"...

Wolverine #20 and JSA Classified #1 are 2 examples of comics that have been and will continue to be fun to watch and will more than likley have many collectors, (and speculators) "scratching their heads" in the next months and years. I have seen CGC 9.8 copies go for over $100 on JSA Classified (Hughes) and I saw an auction for Wolverine #20 (dealer incentive) go for over $300 in CGC 9.8. Will these comics reatain that kind of value? confused-smiley-013.gif

I buy a lot of moderns, and a lot of variant copies, but I think you do need to consider the aritst and buy new and or graded. I think to really get involved with the modern market, you need to be one sharp collector, and even then it is hard to keep ahead. Just my thoughts...

I know there are some that scoff at collectors of moderns, and can argue their position very successfully, but I think there are also a lot of folks out there making a lot of $$$ on new comics. I like the new stories and the art with DC these days, so I really don't care about the market short term. Long term, who really knows. I am not paying nor would I pay any crazy $$$ for any comics, modern or otherwise.

Russ

If they come out at the same time then its a true variant edition

If they come out later, I dont care if they call it Variant edition or not its a 2nd print

---UNLESS the variant edition is a numberd or such print run like Spider-man #1 Plat. edition

If they come out at the same time then its a true variant edition

If they come out later, I dont care if they call it Variant edition or not its a 2nd print

---UNLESS the variant edition is a numberd or such print run like Spider-man #1 Plat. edition

Anyone know if this is why Batman 608 and 612 2nd printings are so popular? Were the print runs extremely low? The 2nd printing of 608 is definitely much more popular IMO.

Anyone know if this is why Batman 608 and 612 2nd printings are so popular? Were the print runs extremely low? The 2nd printing of 608 is definitely much more popular IMO.

All I know is that the 1st print was sold out by the time I got to the LCS, and they but me on reserve for a copy of the 2nd print. Probably the first time I was ever rewarded for being late to the LCS. confused.gif

I can not speak on the print runs for these 2 issues

It may just be the difference in covers that people like

Case in point----- I like Marvel Zombies #1 (2nd print) better then 1st print

2nd prints are usually smaller print runs and when you have a new cover by Jim Lee on a hot series, it will go up. Now, we have speculaters on 2nd prints so I doubt this will happen too much.

I actually like the idea of different covers for 2nd prints. It cuts out the confusion and possible scams on ebay. I won a supposed 1st print of GA on ebay but it turned out to be a 2nd print. With different covers, this can't happen if the picture on ebay is the actual book.

It's a matter of print runs and potentially better artwork.

Personally, I don't care for second prints. There have been a few exceptions. Marvel Zombies #1 and Batman 612 Sketch were two of them. But to be worth that much more, that's a tough one.

It comes down to the 1st print being so over-produced that it couldn't be of value.

Pat

2nd prints are usually smaller print runs and when you have a new cover by Jim Lee on a hot series, it will go up. Now, we have speculaters on 2nd prints so I doubt this will happen too much.

I actually like the idea of different covers for 2nd prints. It cuts out the confusion and possible scams on ebay. I won a supposed 1st print of GA on ebay but it turned out to be a 2nd print. With different covers, this can't happen if the picture on ebay is the actual book.

Yeah, I don't care for 2nd prints at all really. Every DC comic that has sold out and gone to 2nd print in the last few years, I have been lucky enough to grab the 1st printing.

I think that Batman 608 and 612 are just special cases of the second print being worth more than the first. 608 had the cover that matched Superman 204 like was mentioned before so people wanted the matching set. 612 was just a sketch cover and anytime you have a Jim Lee sketch it is a great looking cover.

I like how DC handled the second prints on the OMAC Project, Day of Vengenace, Rann-Thanigar(sp?) War and Villian United. The second printing looked just like the first print except they removed the coloring from the background.

2nd prints do not always command more money and as the history of multiple printings shows that they usually do not. The books mentioned are special examples where this has occurred. The bottom line is just basic economics being supply and demand.

I have to agree that the market for the 2nd prints will be pretty limited to those few exceptions especially with the latest trend of "variant" covers. To me I could careless about most of the "variants" now like with the "Other" storyline in Spidey. They were okay, but time will tell on what value they will bring. I'd expect a whole collection to go pretty high on ebay now though. For me it has to be great art not the gimmick. If the new cover is cool then I'd buy the 2nd print but it wouldn't be for an investment.

Here's an example.

The first prints of some Identity Crisis issues sold over 100,000 copies. The final print covers only sold about 12,000 copies. Anyone tracing down all the covers for a full set should have no problem finding the 1st prints. They may have a harder time tracing down the last print covers.

Earl.

IDENTITY CRISIS FINAL PRINTING #2 (OF 7) 3.99 DC 13,884

IDENTITY CRISIS FINAL PRINTING #1 (OF 7) 3.99 DC 13,616

IDENTITY CRISIS FINAL PRINTING #6 (OF 7) 3.99 DC 13,616

IDENTITY CRISIS FINAL PRINTING #4 (OF 7) 3.99 DC 13,522

IDENTITY CRISIS FINAL PRINTING #7 (OF 7) 3.99 DC 13,373

IDENTITY CRISIS FINAL PRINTING #5 (OF 7) 3.99 DC 13,042

IDENTITY CRISIS FINAL PRINTING #3 (OF 7) 3.99 DC 12,986