• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

2nd Prints With Higher Values Than The Original?

50 posts in this topic

2nd prints do not always command more money and as the history of multiple printings shows that they usually do not. The books mentioned are special examples where this has occurred. The bottom line is just basic economics being supply and demand.

It won't last in my opinion...none of these issues will be considered keys in a couple years and demand will wane. Collectors will move on to the next hot series. The need for collectors to have a complete set will diminish and prices will fall accordingly...

Anyone remember the Image variants or specifically Gen 13?

Jim

Just buy what you like and what you think looks good. That's what I always do and I'm always happy. I buy Turner variants because they look cool. Also some of the HoM and New Avenger variants. They just look good. Oh and Joe Mad's HoM cover is good too.

I agree with Chi. I got caught up in that baloney in the 90's. I probably have a million different variants.

Unfortunately, I do remember the Gen 13 situation. Or the Darkness 11 was pretty bad. Damn, I can hardly remember an Image book that didn't have a variant back then.

Pat

I still want to get the 2nd Print of Marvel Zombies #1 for the cover, and cover only.

Before LCS's decide to put the ones they can't sell in the back issues, and jack the price up because they think it'll have more "value" or just because they want more money out of it.

The Gen 13 situation was different. Those 14 covers were all 1st prints.

Unlike most, i have fond memoires of that. I picked up 2 of the sealed boxes which contained all the covers at cover price. Sold one @ tripple what i paid for it. That paid for the other one and left me with money on top. I still have my sealed box signed by Jim Lee.

cloud9.gif

Maybe i should slab it 893whatthe.gif

Unlike most, i have fond memoires of that. I picked up 2 of the sealed boxes which contained all the covers at cover price. Sold one @ tripple what i paid for it. That paid for the other one and left me with money on top. I still have my sealed box signed by Jim Lee.

cloud9.gif

Today they are quarter fodder...a variant is a variant in my eyes whether they are a 2nd print or a different cover. The same appeal is there...a different cover on the same story. No one even remotely wants the Gen 13 issues now because they are old news. Won't be long before these new 2nd issue are old news as well...

Don't delude yourselves...unless you're cashing out immediately, these comics will stagnate in your collections, with no buyers, in quick time. Long term, hell, even short term, these variants are longbox cancer...

Jim

Jim

cloud9.gif

Today they are quarter fodder...a variant is a variant in my eyes whether they are a 2nd print or a different cover. The same appeal is there...a different cover on the same story. No one even remotely wants the Gen 13 issues now because they are old news. Won't be long before these new 2nd issue are old news as well...

Don't delude yourselves...unless you're cashing out immediately, these comics will stagnate in your collections, with no buyers, in quick time. Long term, hell, even short term, these variants are longbox cancer...

Jim

Jim

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?V...A%3AIT&rd=1

Whatever you say makepoint.gif

This one sold for over $100 and it was opened and looked a bit damaged. Plus it was the Brandon Choi signed edition which is the least desirable.

http://cgi.ebay.com/GEN-13-variant-colle...1QQcmdZViewItem

Feel free to pick up as many of the variant covers as you can since you can get them at 25 cents and i'll give you a good return on them.

cloud9.gif

Jim

Jim

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?V...A%3AIT&rd=1

Whatever you say makepoint.gif

Private bidders? You're kidding me right? Shill city... makepoint.gif

Jim

This one sold for over $100 and it was opened and looked a bit damaged. Plus it was the Brandon Choi signed edition which is the least desirable.

Feel free to pick up as many of the variant covers as you can since you can get them at 25 cents and i'll give you a good return on them.

Again...this isn't the type variants we're talking about here. This is a special gift set...

Try some examples of normal variants or 2nd prints from the mid-90s and we'll talk...

The only variants I've seen that have kept any value whatsoever are either Platinum variants, extremely limited, or mail-order editions. And even those are hit and miss. The rest, of the hundreds produced in the 90s, are quarter fodder...

Jim

Again...this isn't the type variants we're talking about here. This is a special gift set...

Try some examples of normal variants or 2nd prints from the mid-90s and we'll talk...

The only variants I've seen that have kept any value whatsoever are either Platinum variants, extremely limited, or mail-order editions. And even those are hit and miss. The rest, of the hundreds produced in the 90s, are quarter fodder...

Jim

Oh definetly. I agree with you 100% on that. What i meant is you said the Gen 13 set was quater fodder and i disagreed. However with regards to regular variants you are definetly correct, without a doubt. What i will say is that if the variants are on long standing titles that will always be of interest (Batman, Spider-Man, Superman, X-Men, etc) then they will hold their value over time much better than an image book like Gen 13.

Oh definetly. I agree with you 100% on that. What i meant is you said the Gen 13 set was quater fodder and i disagreed. However with regards to regular variants you are definetly correct, without a doubt. What i will say is that if the variants are on long standing titles that will always be of interest (Batman, Spider-Man, Superman, X-Men, etc) then they will hold their value over time much better than an image book like Gen 13.

Spider-Man #1, X-Men #1, Superman #75 2nd print, Venom #1 2nd print, X-Force #1 2nd print, and a load of others would prove that theory faulty....

Jim

Spider-Man #1, X-Men #1, Superman #75 2nd print, Venom #1 2nd print, X-Force #1 2nd print, and a load of others would prove that theory faulty....

Jim

1st prints. Not 2nd prints. They are 2 different things. Jesus christ. frustrated.gif

Jim

1st prints. Not 2nd prints. They are 2 different things. Jesus christ. frustrated.gif

You've lost me here Anfield...how are any of the examples I gave you different? I gave you 1st and 2nd print variant examples. Manufactured variants (which these were as well as the ones coming out today) as a whole have a proven bad track record in this hobby...

Jim

Jim

You've lost me here Anfield...how are any of the examples I gave you different? I gave you 1st and 2nd print variant examples. Manufactured variants (which these were as well as the ones coming out today) as a whole have a proven bad track record in this hobby...

Jim

Sorry Jim but the books you mentioned are equal variants. i.e. a 50/50 split. If a book has a 1:4 variant on a flagship Marvel or DC title then it will retain it's value. I.E. X-Men 62, Uncanny X-Men 342, Wolverine 20, etc.

The whole subject of variants is a very confusing one and you put up a valid argument but there are 4 types of variants:

A - More than one cover with equal distribution (X-Men 1)

B - More than one cover with limited distribution (Wolverine 20, USM 1 white)

C - Retail Incentives (1 per store, or even less) - (Spider-Man 1 platinum, Superman/Batman 1 RRP)

D - 2nd Printing with a new cover (Batman 608)

I believe that "B" and "C" will retain some value while "A" and "D" are very short term. You may disagree with me but i hope you understand what i mean.

Just for the record i do NOT believe that variants are a good investment and when i want to make some money i go invest in a Silver Age book. I occasionally pick up variants for fun and nothing more. My LCS has always provided me with the rare variants at cover price for the last 12 years and i've gotten some great deals in that time.

I have $10 for anyone who wants to sell me an Action #683 3rd print from 1992 for example. 1st prints are everywhere. 2nd Prints are hard to find but turn up. 3rd print - still looking for one. I have about 20 items on my wants list released after 1980. These are mainly DC's and a few others that almost never turn up.

When you get into independents it's even harder to get a full set together. Broadway only published just over 20 comics but completing a set is very hard, Defiant with over 60 is only slightly less hard. I have been collecting Speakeasy and Alias titles since day one and trying to get them all is really hard - the Alias 'Religious' titles have variants for Christian bookshop distribution for example.

It’s true not many people are after these books but you only need 20 or so people who are trying to complete a full publisher run for competition to develop over variants and premiums with limited supply. Miracle on Broadway for example on turns up on e-bay once or twice a year and I know about 10 people who want a copy but don't want to pay the $1,500 that Mile High is asking.

Earl.

Just been searching again for Action 683 3rd print.

As a reminder I have the 1st and 2nd prints and have been looking for a third print.

By most accounts Action 683 (1st print) is a massed produced modern that is only worth a few cents.

My LCS does not have a copy.

So I go to e-bay. There are no single copies for sale in auctions. Out of all the ebay stores there are are only two copies for sale on ebay.

One is a BIN for $1 + $3.50 shipping and looks to be a mid grade copy.

The other is for sale for $4.00 Plus $4.50 shipping.

Both are 1st prints anyway.

So my LCS and e-bay are no use.

So off to Mile High who have a copy (1st print) for sale for $10.40 plus $8.00 shipping and no third print.

So off to Mycomicshop.com who are out of the 3rd print. They do have a 1st print in stock for $6.40 plus $8.00 shipping.

So I stil can't find the edition I want anywhere.

If I did want to buy the 1st print (which I don't) my options with shipping are..

$4.50 from an e-bay store for a mid grade

$8.50 from an e-bay store for a high grade

$18.40 from Mile High

$14.40 from Mycomicshop.com

ComicsPriceGuide.com says it's worth $2.50 and gets complaints that even that is an unrealistically high price for a 'worthless modern' to be valued at.

So if it's a worthless modern why can I not find copy of the third print at all and why would I have to pay between $8.50 and $14.40 from the main online sources for a copy of the 1st print?

Earl.