• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Batman Annual #25 Preview

31 posts in this topic

They will be using Apparo's art to help explain Jason Todd:

BATANN2508.jpg

Interview with Judd Winnick on the details:

Newsarama Interview with Judd

I know some of you are pretty pissed about JT coming back, but I have really enjoyed this run by Winnick. Should really get interesting when Morrison takes over thumbsup2.gif

I like Winnick's work. But that art is 893censored-thumb.gif terrible. So are they saying that Batman knew Jason was still alive all this time? confused-smiley-013.gif

Unknown, but the artwork is the unused Jim Aparo art from the original story. DC had two versions and this one was not used. It is a tribute to Jim Aparo. This is not the artwork for the annual.

One think I have noticed about coloring old school art with new techniques is it makes it more cartoony. Jim Aparo was an excellent Batman artist.

One think I have noticed about coloring old school art with new techniques is it makes it more cartoony.

Funny, I was just about to start a thread about this subject. How much has computerized coloring and inking led to some of the substandard art that keeps getting churned out month after month?

If you look at modern art it almost looks like a coloring book. In fact I specifically noticed how Scott Kollins' art looked much like my son's Hulk coloring book -- literally. Modern art seems to be nothing but a bunch of loosely connected lines. These days the aritsts are relying on the colorist to add shading and depth instead of putting it in themselves or getting the inker to do it.

It would be interesting to get some of the current colorists to rework some bronze age art just to see how different it looks.

Couldn't agree more on the computer coloring thing.

I think when you look at a lot of the covers and pages by the classic artists of the 1940s-80s, you can see how they really used the whites and blacks of the page to communicate depth and perspective, and the beauty of their linework really dominated the page. Nowadays, as you rightly say, it seems like a lot of the current artists use the computer coloring as a crutch to give dimension and "pop" to their work.

When I look at much of the modern stuff with computer coloring, it's pretty but it just looks like mush to me because there's no focus to the page. But I think it comes down to personal preference too...I just like the simplicity of the "flat" aesthetic a whole lot, and computer-shading every muscle on a body or every leaf on a tree doesn't make the art any more "real" for me if the art doesn't work in the first place.

One think I have noticed about coloring old school art with new techniques is it makes it more cartoony.

Funny, I was just about to start a thread about this subject. How much has computerized coloring and inking led to some of the substandard art that keeps getting churned out month after month?

If you look at modern art it almost looks like a coloring book. In fact I specifically noticed how Scott Kollins' art looked much like my son's Hulk coloring book -- literally. Modern art seems to be nothing but a bunch of loosely connected lines. These days the aritsts are relying on the colorist to add shading and depth instead of putting it in themselves or getting the inker to do it.

It would be interesting to get some of the current colorists to rework some bronze age art just to see how different it looks.

Ya its almost like you are so innundated with Color that the Line art is lost in the Process and only the guys that are able to put huge amounts of Detail in their art - like Jim Lee for example, are the ones where the art can actually stand out. Its hard to say if its because of pressure to make deadlines, or because the artists do not have the skill as strong guy suggests and rely on this over coloring to do their work Justice.

Its one of the other things that makes the Conan book still out IMO - the coloring is very earth tone and does not over saturate the line art. Notrds' sketchy style also really stands out in contrast to the over polished look of many other books.

Some of the computer generated color and finishing effects are cool, however I think we are losing something in the process - and that something is the esthetic and subtlety that make comic art more in tune with the texture and substance of classic painting.

Ya its almost like you are so innundated with Color that the Line art is lost in the Process and only the guys that are able to put huge amounts of Detail in their art - like Jim Lee for example, are the ones where the art can actually stand out. Its hard to say if its because of pressure to make deadlines, or because the artists do not have the skill as strong guy suggests and rely on this over coloring to do their work Justice.

Its one of the other things that makes the Conan book still out IMO - the coloring is very earth tone and does not over saturate the line art. Notrds' sketchy style also really stands out in contrast to the over polished look of many other books.

Some of the computer generated color and finishing effects are cool, however I think we are losing something in the process - and that something is the esthetic and subtlety that make comic art more in tune with the texture and substance of classic painting.

i totally agree with these comments...i remember seeing the recent conan BWS tpbs and having an hard time relating that mess with the original comics...it's like looking to a brand new version/style, very far from the BWS great art!!!

coloring wise, the cover to ultimate hulk vs wolverine is some of the most horrible stuff i've ever seen...it simply kills the lines/shades/lights/dimension of the art!!!

regards

Computer coloring is a blessing and curse. I do think there can be some amazing artwork produced by this technique. However, just because there are more colors doesn't mean there is more creativity. Sometimes you can do more with fewer colors and it forces more creativity.

Another thing I have noticd is how bad old school artists look sometimes with the new techniques. The three I think of is byrne,perez, and garcia lopez. I know Byrne has lost favor, but I can't help but feel his art would look better on newspaper print. Same with Perez and Lopez. While most everyone raved about Perez in JLA/Avengers, I thought his Titans days when he inked himself in a few of thos issues was so much tighter. I can't help but ask do different printing processes benefit certain artists? When I see a TPB reprint of old school comics that I have, I like the original comic better. Nowdays, the TPB's look better than the originals.

I dont think the artists have gotten lazier. They arent running the show. The publishers reacted 10 years ago to catch up with Image who began the digital comics revolution. Computerized coloring and lettering an dproduction isthe norm now, and artists draw an dink to suit the overall finished product.

On one hand its a shame, aint it? that comics dont look the same anymore. But I like the much more polished look we get today. When its done well, th eeffects and colors yield a much more nuanced and finished page.

What I DO miss though, is the old school coloring motifs. You know, the large areas of colors almost abstractly doen: a crowd of peaople all in red o r green. Buildings in yellow; skies in whatever looks best! Now we get realism, but before it was "art".

Nowdays, the TPB's look better than the originals.

couldn't disagree more...at best the TPB's of comics from the past (before the "digital colour" revolution) presente a new and rigid form, losing so much details/richness.

i won't mind certain titles/styles to have this coloring approach, but when forcing it to the comics from the 80's and older, it's just a pure artistic slaughter imho.

everything is blend/mixed up and unidimensional (you hardly get the feeling of lights/texture/forms and shapes...).

regards

couldn't disagree more...at best the TPB's of comics from the past (before the "digital colour" revolution) presente a new and rigid form, losing so much details/richness.

i won't mind certain titles/styles to have this coloring approach, but when forcing it to the comics from the 80's and older, it's just a pure artistic slaughter imho.

everything is blend/mixed up and unidimensional (you hardly get the feeling of lights/texture/forms and shapes...).

regards

I should have said TPB's of modern comics look better than the original comic because they will sometimes get paper upgrade. If you read my comments that was my point. TPB's of old material do not look as good as the original.

regards

I should have said TPB's of modern comics look better than the original comic because they will sometimes get paper upgrade. If you read my comments that was my point. TPB's of old material do not look as good as the original.

I think the paper used in the Batman: War Games TPB's were a downgrade from what is normally used in Batman books.

regards

I think the paper used in the Batman: War Games TPB's were a downgrade from what is normally used in Batman books.

Ya its just too bad that War Games was a bad rehash of No Mans Land foreheadslap.gif

regards

Ya its just too bad that War Games was a bad rehash of No Mans Land foreheadslap.gif

Was it? When was "No Man's Land?" Probably when I was off comics.

OK, I picked up this book yesterday. Can anyone explain to me what exactly brought Jason Todd back to life? I don't get it confused-smiley-013.gif I guess I'm not up to speed on some of the DC universe happenins, so maybe I'm missing something.

sign-rantpost.gif I thought it was a HUGE cheat. frown.gif

Essentially, they are saying that as a result of Infinite Crisis, for the last umpteen years, there have been reality-distorting waves produced by Superman of Earth-2 (or maybe Superboy-Prime, I can't remember) trying to break out of his dimensional refuge. These reality-distorting waves brought Jason back to life, since he wasn't "supposed" to die, at least in some of the realities brought together by the original Crisis on Infinite Earths. yeahok.gif

So, it's a great big comic-booky resolution to the Jason mystery. I'd buy it as a somewhat-elegant solution for fixing continuity messes associated with Power Girl, Hawkman, or the Legion. But Batman is (or should be mad.gif) too grounded in reality for that kind of thing to play a major role in the mythos.