• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Your thoughts on a bonus for completion?

61 posts in this topic

I'm all for a completion bonus, albeit a modest one. I think the quality of the books is already rewarded with a higher point total for each book, the completion bonus would add a tad more value to the lower grade book intended to fill a gap.

I'm also in big favor of higher point totals, as many members are promoting, for higher page quality, pedigree status, and another one I haven't seen mentioned....double covers!

Pedigrees should without a doubt not receive more points. I have seen 9.0 and 9.2 pedigress that look like [embarrassing lack of self control] as far as eye appeal. The number one collection that comes to mind is the Rockford collection. Sorry if anyone is a Rockford fan but from what I have seen from the collection it has some high grade crappy looking books.

I think a completion bonus is a great idea. Finding the last few comics to complete a run takes a lot of time and effort, and the registry should reward those who find those last comics. Right now all it take is a lot of money to get to the top of the rankings, because anyone with a lot of money can just buy a bunch of the issues of a run that show up all the time in super high grade and be ranked higher than someone who took the time to put together a complete run in high grade. A few ultra high grade comics that just took a lot of money to aquire should not trump a complete run that took a lot of time and effort to put together.

I really think that if the SS books are being recognized with a bonus (which is what it really is) then Pedigree books should be rewarded as well on par with the point bump that the SS books received.

There needs to be no distiction between say a Pac Coast, White Mountain, Curator, or MHII. Just like there is no disticntion between a front line artist like Romita and a inker who 99% of people in comicdom would not recognize their name.

I believe what is good for the one (SS) should be good for the other (Peds) or there be no distiction between the two.

Pedigrees should without a doubt not receive more points. I have seen 9.0 and 9.2 pedigress that look like [embarrassing lack of self control] as far as eye appeal. The number one collection that comes to mind is the Rockford collection. Sorry if anyone is a Rockford fan but from what I have seen from the collection it has some high grade crappy looking books.

Your statement is incredibly short sighted. Pedigrees represent a segment of the market that has always commanded a premium, from many facets of the collecting spectrum.

Plus highlighting that some ped's don't messure up is something no one will dispute. It's well established that many peds have examples that fall well below the 9.4 mark, but what is obvious concern is that vast majority more than do, and represent a well defined, and established segment of collecting, that needs to be recognised on the registry. What obviously needs to be applied is a percentage 'bonus' based on the standard registry points per issue, per grade.

A flat rate increment would obviously not suffice, with books ranging from 10''s to 10'000's point range.

Your statement is incredibly short sighted. Pedigrees represent a segment of the market that has always commanded a premium, from many facets of the collecting spectrum.

Plus highlighting that some ped's don't messure up is something no one will dispute. It's well established that many peds have examples that fall well below the 9.4 mark, but what is obvious concern is that vast majority more than do, and represent a well defined, and established segment of collecting, that needs to be recognised on the registry. What obviously needs to be applied is a percentage 'bonus' based on the standard registry points per issue, per grade.

A flat rate increment would obviously not suffice, with books ranging from 10''s to 10'000's point range.

I also think Ron's post makes a point against the SS books (if you want to look at it as a negative, which I dont) in that much the same ways as some Peds are better than others, many artists are better than others.

I say Page Quality Amigo, Page Quality. Those books should get point boosts. Pedigree point boosting just makes it more elitist(Sinces almost all ped books cost more). Those books will get a boost if the PQ is good anyway. So this covers everyone, making it more of a level playing field(and yes, I have a Church and Crowley).

I say Page Quality Amigo, Page Quality. Those books should get point boosts
I think you are right, but we are going down a slippery slope. Whats after that? Registration? Cover Gloss?

I say Page Quality Amigo, Page Quality. Those books should get point boosts
What is it with you and people who have money or choose to buy fewer books that cost more? Anyway whats the point of your comment? Its not like the DD 158 Miller or DD 181 Miller that both came back as 9.4's did not get me 2-3x GPA for that book in that grade. So in your defense, SS should get no point value as they too are "elitist". Whatever you mean by "elitist"

I think you either give a bonus for peds and SS regardless of what the Ped ot Sig is or no bonus at all.

I think you are right, but we are going down a slippery slope. Whats after that? Registration? Cover Gloss?

Well, since you don't see Brilliant Cover Gloss on the label, I think it is a valid criteria for bonus. I collect, primarily GA. So, I would have to find one of the books creators(hopefully they are alive) and make sure they are attending a convention with a CGC SS Witness. Needless to say that's slim and none for the books I collect(I think I can get George Tuska to sign Captain Marvel Adventures 1-4 if I had them). So, the GA folks and some of the early SA collectors get shafted. And then there is the pesky little problem of having them mark a book over 40-60 years old!!! So, Page Quality seems to be a decent characteristic for bonus.

In order of priority, here's what I would do in terms of "bonus" points:
  • Pedigree
  • Page Quality
  • Set Completion

Any thoughts on double covers and how that fits in?

See, to me, this is the slippery slope that we are going down.

If you want to reward one niche of collecting (SS books) then by not doing the same with others, Peds, Double Covers etc. you are in essence saying one is better than the other.

Personally, I would not have a bonus for any of them. From SS to peds to page quality to anything else.

If you want to reward one niche of collecting (SS books) then by not doing the same with others, Peds, Double Covers etc. you are in essence saying one is better than the other.

Well, they are. A CREAM TO OFF-WHITE is better than WHITE pages. A pedigree copy of a book is better than a non-pedigree copy. confused-smiley-013.gif

I don't see how that is a slippery slope--these are things that are quantifiable and there are only finite number of things that CGC tracks that can be measured--these being one of the select few.

Adding or subtracting points for page quality would add another dimension to the scoring system. All things being equal, I would rather own a 9.0 White paged book than a 9.2 Cream to Off-white. But, as it stands, the 9.2 is obviously always alocated more points. confused-smiley-013.gif

Well, they are. A CREAM TO OFF-WHITE is better than WHITE pages. A pedigree copy of a book is better than a non-pedigree copy. confused-smiley-013.gif

I don't see how that is a slippery slope--these are things that are quantifiable and there are only finite number of things that CGC tracks that can be measured--these being one of the select few.

Maybe I should have said it is a slippery slope when it comes to griping and complaining.

Who determines how much of a point difference to make?

Who makes the determination of which Ped is better and how much to award based on which Ped it is?

Just seems like too much for CGC to worry about.

Adding or subtracting points for page quality would add another dimension to the scoring system. All things being equal, I would rather own a 9.0 White paged book than a 9.2 Cream to Off-white. But, as it stands, the 9.2 is obviously always alocated more points. confused-smiley-013.gif

Good idea....a component of the overall points should include each element...the % mix is the mystery.

I would rather have a Pedigree book than a Signature series for the reason several people have mentioned before, I collect mostly GA and SA comics. It is nearly impossible to get a SS on one of those books and I wouldn't want to deface one anyway.

There should be a bonus for Pedigree books in the registry. The extra money I pay for the Pedigree is always worth it, and is recognized by most collectors. I see no reason for it not to be recognized by the CGC registry.