• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Copper Age Keys

104 posts in this topic

Not really. There are some issues that are slightly elevated above others, but ASM is the $$$ series. Er... other than SSM 27 + 28, maybe 64 (if anyone actually cares about Cloak and Dagger) + 85 (if anyone cares about how the original Hobgoblin got his powers).

As you recall in X 1 the movie. The director used the cover of Wolverine 10 for the fight scene between Wolverine and Sabretooth in the snow. It was a great scene and a great event in the comic universe and the director appropriately honored it.

Here are a couple:

ASM 238 - First Appearance of the Hobgoblin

ASM 298 - First Todd McFarlane on Spidey

ASM 300 - First Appearance of Venom

Uncanny X-Men 266 - First Appearance of Gambit

Avengers Annual 10 - First Appearance of Rogue

ASM212 - 1st hydro man

ASM238 - 1st hobgoblin

ASM252 - 1st Alien Costume

ASM255 - 1st Black Fox

ASM265 - 1st Silver Sable & wild pack

ASM289 - 1st new Hobgoblin (Macendale - originally the JackOLantern)

ASM298 - 1st Eddie

ASM300 - 1st Full Venom

ASM345 - 1st Cletus Kasady

ASM361 - 1st Carnage

X-Men168 - 1st Madelyne Pryor

X-Men221 - 1st Mr Sinister

X-Men244 - 1st Jubilee

X-Men266 - 1st Gambit

X-Men283 - 1st Bishop

Spectacular S-Man 64 - 1st Cloak & Dagger

Spectacular S-Man 147 - 1st Demonic Hobgoblin

X-Factor 6 - 1st Apocalypse

X-Factor 24 - 1st Archangel

DD-254 - 1st typhoid Mary

DD-270- 1st Blackheart

Not too sure on the FF's :

Bout All I can think of as I know there's some geeky DC ones but as I don't care too much about the 1st copper age Metallo appearance in superman of the 80's I won't go into that category.. sumo.gif

funny one of the biggest copper age keys was amazing spider-man 238 and that was the first marvel i ever remember buying off the newsstand with my own money!(dad used to buy me comics every sunday morning when i was just a lad!) what a great read 238 was and being as i was new at the time to the marvel universe i had no idea who the hobgoblin was!

Wow guy. I have the exact same recollection of this as you. I bought the book mind you I was a 5 or 6 year old but it was the 1st book I grabbed at a corner store and thus created my love for the Hobgoblin. So much that the Hobgoblin run dwarfs the Venom issues that I read as they played the Hob out so well with the constant mystery of who he was. That book I had forever and after a while it was missing a cover but I still kept it as the first of many to come.

Richard

Ah yes I was going to grab one for 140 a year or 2 ago. Never got around to it. Maybe after my sman run I'll just start a 1st appearances CGC 9.6 or higher run with the classics like Electro and Lizard being a CGC 9.0 would be fine for me.
Nice thumbsup2.gif

Secret Wars 8

Watchmen 1

Batman Dark Knight 1

Fantasy Quarterly 1 (Elfquest) - Bronze Age?

It is interesting that the rarity of an issue really impacts its icon status. None of the 3 issues above and others mentioned are really all that rare. Creating grade based rarity if you get them as 9.8's what is otherwise a $5 book becomes a $300 book. Surrounding books or commons in 9.8 might only get $50 or so.

You have to wonder what would happen to important books if their print run weren't so high.

Death of Superman, Secret Wars 1, Destroyer Duck 1, Spawn 1,

Ed