• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Comic books make me happy...

67 posts in this topic

Thnx, it helps me out alot now. Christo_pull_hair.gif

At the time, I was ready to throw it out the window.

But as with most things, AFTER I am done with a job is when I should try it out for real. Instead of learning as I go the first time around.

It did turn out pretty well. If it was comic related I would post a photo.

Too bad Kamandi is in...or I would snap a few shots in the kitchen.

Ze-

Everything we used was Latex based, and the mossy green glaze probably took the most work to apply. My wife is almost 5 months pregnant, and she helped paint the smaller half of the basement after her doctors told her Latex based paint would be ok for her.

I'm sick of painting - keep in mind I had to apply a coat of primer first! Good news is once I move furniture around and paint our bedrooms it'll be a piece of cake.

Shawn

Unruly, that looks unbelievable. You're telling me that green tile looking portion at the top is just PAINT? PM me with some pointers on how to do that if you could please. Simply amazing!

Great lookin' space, Shield!! 893applaud-thumb.gif

The wall-mounted LCDs and total-house stereo hookups will change your LIFE! cloud9.gif

Yeah, for sure! The rest of the house is already that way except for the wall-mount part. It's total geek fest - I have 2 workstations in the basement plus one server. These are all gigabit, along with the mini-pc that's running in the livingroom connected to the 50" high-def Sony. I have audio out of the mini-pc going to my bathroom so I can listen to .mp3's while I get ready for work in the morning. I tried do a FM Modulator but there was too much interference and static.

I have a RF based learning remote for the bathroom so I can play, pause, switch to next song and next playlist. RF=Radio Frequency so it works on the opposite end of the house and I don't require line-of-sight.

On the other side of the house is the 20" LCD Dell with the KVM over UTP - I can "patch in" to any port in my house and access 3/4 of my computers. For the 4th I just VNC or remote desktop into it.

For the living room, I have a Tivo from 2000 with a 120 gb hard disk that I put in it a couple of years ago. It's got the lifetime that I paid $199 for WAY back in the day. This box records Roseanne reruns for the wife and history channel/A&E for me. Another box out there is the cable company's Scientific Atlanta 8300HD with dual tuners so I can record two things at once in high-def. Very good for my NBA season's pass. Also, I just bought a "Voom" OTA (over the air) High-Def tuner to pick up the local HD channels. Also, there's the mini-pc with the external "brick" power supply so it's completely silent. With it I watch downloaded "usenet" DVD movies and run winamp with the visualizations on the big screen. Of course there's the wireless keyboard/mouse for IMDB arguments during movies (what movie were they in again?).

Everything is fed into a Marantz SR7400 that upconverts everything to component. Doesn't really make any difference except it frees up component "in" connections on the Sony Tv.

Everything is controlled by a UniversalRemote, the MX-650. This is a dual RF/IR remote so the wife never has to "point" the remote at anything to get it to work. Plus, when she wants to watch Tivo she hits "Tivo" and the remote switches to Video 1 on the TV, and one of the analog presets on the receiver. It "simplifies the complex", and anyone can come over and work the single remote.

I use this remote in conjunction with a MX-250, which bascially takes RF signals and converts them back to IR via little 10 ft. sensors that attach to each piece of equipment.

Boy, this is getting long-winded.

So, for the basement, I really want to get back in shape but I get really bored with watching Tivo-less television on the treadmill. So, I ran a stereo+composite cable downstairs, and have an amplified "splitter" going to two different parts of the basement. Since the basement is going to be 1/2 family room and 1/2 workout area, I'll have an old 32" Toshiba for the workout half and be able to watch (and control) the Tivo upstairs. Same with the other part of the basement, the family room area. I have another universal remote that'll control the receiver in the basement and the Tivo upstairs.

Some really "slick" things I think I've come up with:

I bought an old school IR keyboard/mouse and "taught" commands to my remote, so I can start/stop Winamp visualizations and control it. So the keyboard is hidden in the livingroom.

The 32" LCD TV I'm buying? The rear where the mounts are is placed on a wall opposite the laundry room. So, I'll be able to run X-Box 360, DVD, HD antannae, power cable, coax, etc. so no one will see ANYTHING except the tv+mount. This will be nice after our kid's a couple of years old and won't be able to touch the TV.

Here's the LCD TV I'm probably going with, unless anyone has any better ideas. Note: I want one that's cable card ready and has an ATSC built-in tuner.

n3760w_us_eng_lrg.jpg

Whew. Thanks for those who hung in there reading all of this. I just love music and TV, that's all! blush.gif

My wife is almost 5 months pregnant...

Sorry Shawn, but in about 15 months, I'm betting on a thread that says you converted the comic basement into the kid's activity center based playroom smile.gif

1122828-100_5158.jpg

Actually, the basment is only going to be comic-based on the walls with the posters I'm hanging up. The rest is just family room / work out room. There's so much space down there for our son/daughter to run around and go crazy! I'm thinking of doing some sort of "chalkboard paint" so they can really go nuts.

Wish me luck Darth, in 7 days we find out what we're having. This is the most exciting time in my whole life - even more than getting married! I love kids! laugh.gif

(and comics, and tv, and music, and art, and sometimes even my job!)

My wife is almost 5 months pregnant...

Sorry Shawn, but in about 15 months, I'm betting on a thread that says you converted the comic basement into the kid's activity center based playroom smile.gif

1122828-100_5158.jpg

I could SO reverse jam on that rim! crazy.gif

Darth, is that your basement? Must be nice to have high ceilings, at least high enough for a ceiling fan! My poor little 7.5 feet basement ceilings would rip your head off!

Oh well, at least it's not in a cookie cutter community like most of my friends!

The 32" LCD TV I'm buying? The rear where the mounts are is placed on a wall opposite the laundry room. So, I'll be able to run X-Box 360, DVD, HD antannae, power cable, coax, etc. so no one will see ANYTHING except the tv+mount. This will be nice after our kid's a couple of years old and won't be able to touch the TV.

HD TV is great.

Yeah, for sure! The rest of the house is already that way except for the wall-mount part. It's total geek fest - I have 2 workstations in the basement plus one server. These are all gigabit, along with the mini-pc that's running in the livingroom connected to the 50" high-def Sony. I have audio out of the mini-pc going to my bathroom so I can listen to .mp3's while I get ready for work in the morning. I tried do a FM Modulator but there was too much interference and static.

I have a RF based learning remote for the bathroom so I can play, pause, switch to next song and next playlist. RF=Radio Frequency so it works on the opposite end of the house and I don't require line-of-sight.

On the other side of the house is the 20" LCD Dell with the KVM over UTP - I can "patch in" to any port in my house and access 3/4 of my computers. For the 4th I just VNC or remote desktop into it.

For the living room, I have a Tivo from 2000 with a 120 gb hard disk that I put in it a couple of years ago. It's got the lifetime that I paid $199 for WAY back in the day. This box records Roseanne reruns for the wife and history channel/A&E for me. Another box out there is the cable company's Scientific Atlanta 8300HD with dual tuners so I can record two things at once in high-def. Very good for my NBA season's pass. Also, I just bought a "Voom" OTA (over the air) High-Def tuner to pick up the local HD channels. Also, there's the mini-pc with the external "brick" power supply so it's completely silent. With it I watch downloaded "usenet" DVD movies and run winamp with the visualizations on the big screen. Of course there's the wireless keyboard/mouse for IMDB arguments during movies (what movie were they in again?).

Everything is fed into a Marantz SR7400 that upconverts everything to component. Doesn't really make any difference except it frees up component "in" connections on the Sony Tv.

Everything is controlled by a UniversalRemote, the MX-650. This is a dual RF/IR remote so the wife never has to "point" the remote at anything to get it to work. Plus, when she wants to watch Tivo she hits "Tivo" and the remote switches to Video 1 on the TV, and one of the analog presets on the receiver. It "simplifies the complex", and anyone can come over and work the single remote.

I use this remote in conjunction with a MX-250, which bascially takes RF signals and converts them back to IR via little 10 ft. sensors that attach to each piece of equipment.

Boy, this is getting long-winded.

So, for the basement, I really want to get back in shape but I get really bored with watching Tivo-less television on the treadmill. So, I ran a stereo+composite cable downstairs, and have an amplified "splitter" going to two different parts of the basement. Since the basement is going to be 1/2 family room and 1/2 workout area, I'll have an old 32" Toshiba for the workout half and be able to watch (and control) the Tivo upstairs. Same with the other part of the basement, the family room area. I have another universal remote that'll control the receiver in the basement and the Tivo upstairs.

Some really "slick" things I think I've come up with:

I bought an old school IR keyboard/mouse and "taught" commands to my remote, so I can start/stop Winamp visualizations and control it. So the keyboard is hidden in the livingroom.

Here's the LCD TV I'm probably going with, unless anyone has any better ideas. Note: I want one that's cable card ready and has an ATSC built-in tuner.

n3760w_us_eng_lrg.jpg

Whew. Thanks for those who hung in there reading all of this. I just love music and TV, that's all! blush.gif

You had be at "Yeah, for sure! " but lost me after that. confused-smiley-013.gif

Yes, it is! My favorite channels are TNT HD, Discovery HD and CBS - their broadcasts look the best.

I have been fond of PBS, but their documentaries make you feel guilty of being alive. "With the pressure of human consumption of tuna, the tuna population is experiencing a downward trend and it is inevitable it, along with the sperm whale and the Mexican jumping fish, will become exctinct by the time this show is over because you are using energy to view this show that produced toxic waste."

Yes, it is! My favorite channels are TNT HD, Discovery HD and CBS - their broadcasts look the best.

I have been fond of PBS, but their documentaries make you feel guilty of being alive. "With the pressure of human consumption of tuna, the tuna population is experiencing a downward trend and it is inevitable it, along with the sperm whale and the Mexican jumping fish, will become exctinct by the time this show is over because you are using energy to view this show that produced toxic waste."

27_laughing.gifsign-funnypost.gif You're exactly right. They'll have stuff on hybrid cars that make me feel guilty too!

More pics! The carpet is in, and I have added 3 more comic posters on the wall, plus the "Strange Adventures #95" that my sister painted on canvas as a Christmas present last year. It'll be the only thing on my wall post 1945! These pics didn't turn out super great because I shrunk them down too much. You'll get the idea though!

01.jpg

02.jpg

03.jpg

04.jpg

05.jpg

06.jpg

07.jpg

08.jpg

09.jpg

10.jpg

Here are smaller versions of the scans that will be going up next. I pick these up next Monday! I found a place that will do them for $3.50 per sq. ft, or $10.50 per 18X24!

I just liked these covers for some reason....

bs_MarvelMystery40.jpg

bs_Detective31.jpg

bs_duck.jpg

bs_archie8.jpg

bs_morefun54.jpg

bs_NewAdventure.jpg

bs_pep47.jpg

bs_Superman14.jpg

bs_terrific5.jpg

bs_topnotch10.jpg