• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Pedigree, Collection or just a great find???

48 posts in this topic

Hi all!

I have unearthed an Original owner Collection. It has 60 shorts to it. There are many, many beautiful books from the 50's through to the 80's.

This guy was a SERIOUS Kirby collector! He had everything from comics, to newspaper articles, kirby magazines, art, hard covers... and did I mention the COMICS???

There are complete runs of everything Kirby and all in amazing shape! There are also many other comics involved.

There are numerous different pieces of art... some quite odd and rare I believe. There is an Enemy Ace Sketch from Kubert, Green Arrow by Kirby and some others! There is also a really nifty set of poems and art on wooden paper??? It is called "7 Marvels: Bardo Matrix, Kathmandu, Nepal 1975" or "Ira Cohen: Star Streams peotry Series # 2" Not sure what to look up never mind where!

TOO MUCH STUFF TO LIST AND I NEED HELP!

I have been on a buying binge for 4 months in hopes to accumulate enough stock to become a DECENT comics provider wink.gif I have amassed a nice collection of goodies!

I can get the info as to where this stuff came from. I know the name of the guy and also can get background... not from him as he has passed but from the seller.

And to think this has been in my storage facility until now!!! At least it's cold over there and the pages are a COLD CANADIAN CRISP WHITE!!!

In case I went off track, would this collection be a candidate for a special designation??? Or is the size just not big enough???

Thanks!

John thumbsup2.gif

Hi all!

I have unearthed an Original owner Collection. It has 60 shorts to it. There are many, many beautiful books from the 50's through to the 80's.

This guy was a SERIOUS Kirby collector! He had everything from comics, to newspaper articles, kirby magazines, art, hard covers... and did I mention the COMICS???

There are complete runs of everything Kirby and all in amazing shape! There are also many other comics involved.

There are numerous different pieces of art... some quite odd and rare I believe. There is an Enemy Ace Sketch from Kubert, Green Arrow by Kirby and some others! There is also a really nifty set of poems and art on wooden paper??? It is called "7 Marvels: Bardo Matrix, Kathmandu, Nepal 1975" or "Ira Cohen: Star Streams peotry Series # 2" Not sure what to look up never mind where!

TOO MUCH STUFF TO LIST AND I NEED HELP!

I have been on a buying binge for 4 months in hopes to accumulate enough stock to become a DECENT comics provider wink.gif I have amassed a nice collection of goodies!

I can get the info as to where this stuff came from. I know the name of the guy and also can get background... not from him as he has passed but from the seller.

And to think this has been in my storage facility until now!!! At least it's cold over there and the pages are a COLD CANADIAN CRISP WHITE!!!

In case I went off track, would this collection be a candidate for a special designation??? Or is the size just not big enough???

Thanks!

John thumbsup2.gif

When you say '60 shorts', I'm assuming boxes?

Because if it is (7,000 books?), that's way more than enough for ped status.

But the devil's in the detail.....how he put it together being the most important piece of info you're going to need.

You were right in your assumption. There are 60 short boxes. Many mags as well... all High Grade!!!

There are some things I've never seen or heard of! I'm even having trouble tracking it down!

I will have to get in contact with the seller and get the family's contact info. I have his name on some envelopes here so it shouldn't be hard for me to find. He saved EVERYTHING! There are envelopes from the "Jack kirby Collector" magazine each with sketches on them. Just one of the interesting parts to this collection smile.gif

I am in for A LOT of work aren't I?

Thanks F.T

John thumbsup2.gif

I know a certain Kubert sketch that would fit nicely in the johnenock pedigree.

And what might that be?

There are RUNS with dupes of ALL the war books! Including 3 copies in various grades of Our Army At War #151.

I think his favorite were the Enemy Ace books as he had all kinds of newspaper clippings and such.

Cool Stuff!

John thumbsup2.gif

Yes, you are. Just imagine the fun you are going to have. I am not a Kirby fan but I imagine all the Kirby Fans will be a drooling. Great Find!!! yay.gif

I've got Kirby Sketchbooks from the 60's/70's. Calanders, Hard cover collections!!! You name it! I am not a HUGE Kirby collector, but I know whoever is would seriously appreciate this stuff!

Thanks Tim, wanna come up to the great white and put some hours in???

John thumbsup2.gif

Yes, you are. Just imagine the fun you are going to have. I am not a Kirby fan but I imagine all the Kirby Fans will be a drooling. Great Find!!! yay.gif

I've got Kirby Sketchbooks from the 60's/70's. Calanders, Hard cover collections!!! You name it! I am not a HUGE Kirby collector, but I know whoever is would seriously appreciate this stuff!

John thumbsup2.gif

Wanna chauffeur me to the Fraser Valley? confused-smiley-013.gif

John thumbsup2.gif

Wanna chauffeur me to the Fraser Valley? confused-smiley-013.gif

I spend too much on comics so I can't pay!!!

insane.gif

You were right in your assumption. There are 60 short boxes. Many mags as well... all High Grade!!!

There are some things I've never seen or heard of! I'm even having trouble tracking it down!

I will have to get in contact with the seller and get the family's contact info. I have his name on some envelopes here so it shouldn't be hard for me to find. He saved EVERYTHING! There are envelopes from the "Jack kirby Collector" magazine each with sketches on them. Just one of the interesting parts to this collection smile.gif

I am in for A LOT of work aren't I?

Thanks F.T

John thumbsup2.gif

Any Batmans? If so please contact me.

There are envelopes from the "Jack kirby Collector" magazine each with sketches on them. Just one of the interesting parts to this collection

Really neat sounding find. You may want to find out who did those sketches as Kirby had passed away years before the Jack Kirby Collector was started up.

If this is true, you shouldn't break up the collection, but should try to keep it together to generate more interest. (You should also lock up the rights to it with the original owner before you post more details since I'm sure there are people knocking on your door right now.)

If the collection is really good, you can get a major convention to give you display space in a gallery possibly if you have some really rare stuff. That would increase the value of the collection as a whole since it would give you much more publicity.

If you do get a pedigree designation... then you'll stand to do much better with your find. Just think Big Picture.

Just my thoughts.

Thanks for all of the intrest guys smile.gif

I will get to posting some scans of some of the stuff. I am just getting up and am super sore from all the work! But I love the work wink.gif

I'll post a variety of different scans. Maybe some art, comics and odd ball stuff.

In regards to the Pedigree: Although it is a great find, I am not sure if it would qulify as a pedigree. After reading about some of the requirements and info on other pedigrees, I think this wouldn't qualify! Collection? Don't see why not! If anything it is a super find and I will gladly share it with anyone who may be interested...

I'll go into the office and post a couple of scans now...

Thanks!

John thumbsup2.gif