• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Foolkiller's NY Con Report

14 posts in this topic

I really enjoyed this year's first NY ComicCon and thought that while Reed Promotions definitely has some issues to work out, I was very happy with the show overall and was amazed by the response that a February show got, but perhpas Reed should have been better prepared to handle the show...

I did not go back today (Sunday) so I'm curious as to what kind of show it was.... on the last day of it. While I was somewhat tempted, I just couldn't bear the thought of driving back and forth a third day... nor did the train really appeal to me at all either.

Friday:

I got up fairly early in the morning and went to the office to do a little bit of follow up work and just to get things in order. I ended up leaving around 11:30 or so to pick up my car and then go grab Bob Siman (namisgr) for the drive up. By the time I actually got it together and picked Bob up it was about noon and we got on the road. Bob was smart and had the foresight to pick up lunch before leaving and got a Primo's Italian hoagie (one of the best in Philly). I on the other hand, was not so bright. Instead, we got on the road and decided we would just stop off along the way, get some coffee, Bob would eat his sandwich, and I would find something else... which meant stopping off around exit 7A or 8 of the NJ turnpike and eating at a really bad Roy Rogers. After chatting comics and eating that horrid, horrid meal, we got into NYC.

We found a parking lot literally right outside the Lincoln tunnel at 42nd and 9th, but I didn't remember exactly where the Javits Center and that worked out to be about 7 blocks away from where the con was. Bob and I stumbled around in the extreme wind and cold for a minute until... we took a cab and hit the show. What was immediately apparent when we hit the show was that we could have easily have gotten there earlier and had it been ok. My concern was that Bob would not have an exhibitor badge and would have to wait. As it turns out, when I got there, i ran into Ben Lichtenstein of Zapp Comics and picked up my exhibitor pass... which as it turns out was a total requirement for this show. Then, I found out my ACTOR volunteer exhibitor badge was inside and had already been picked up by CGC. So I got inside and was amazed that, at 3:15 PM, it was already packed. I also noticed immediately that there weren't that many dealers. However, I ran into several people I knew including Mark Haspel and Tom Gordon, walked over to Silver and Bronze's table and talked about the incredible toon tumblers he had.

Then wandered around, and found where Harry Banks (Burntboy) was set up with TV Comics to scope out the scene of the Sid's Collection. The books were the nicest collection of slabbed books at the show by far. There were a number of books there and they were displayed well at Byron's booth. I chatted with Harry for just a second and talked to Byron about the show -- both were enthusiastic.

On a Friday, the show was packed. Gary Platt informed me that people had been coming to his booth before the show opened and that he had made a lot of sales before the show even opened of keys AND that he was already having a very good day. I looked at artist's alley and some of the other sites but decided that it would be better to go camp out around Harry's booth. When the doors opened at 4 PM -- the floor got more and more crowded. I didn't think it was ridiculously crowded, but it was super packed for a Friday, and that was amazing... now... it was foreboding as to what Saturday would be like.

I went by Harry's booth, and prepared to get to work. I was a little surprised that there weren't more people around at 5 PM, but there weren't... just a few people. Bob Siman was there, TeddieMercede was also there (and my competition for the JIM 89) and I was there... and others came by just to look at the books, but no one else was immediately buying.

I picked up everyone's requests that I had, and my own (TOS 58 yay!) and then was ready to move around a bit more. I went over to Harley Yee's booth and looked through the boxes of Caps he had and found a gorgeous Cap 143 raw that I really wanted. Now, it was pricey, but it was also the best copy I've seen so... I ate it and bought it. Plus, I like Harley, and I know how he prices and the deal is, if you want the book, you gotta just pay for it. Next I dropped by the Metropolis booth and looked at the boxes from the Tremont collection, and while wide in scope, wasn't quite what I had been hoping for. Was hoping Vinny would have brought the Caps, but he did not have time to do so... that was unfortunate as nobody else had Caps at the show in quantity, and probably would have bought them if they were upgrades. What's nice about the Tremont collection is that it is complete in its scope and had a lot of very nice books if you are looking for some relatively cool Marvels. Took a look at a JIM 112 Metro had, but it was only a marginal 9.0 (at best, looked closer to 8.5 or 8.0) that was stickered at $900. Too high.

After that I moved onto Ted VanLiew's booth, but did not have much time to look, so decided I would come back on Sat.

I was also spending some time wandering around looking at original art with Gene, and he picked up a beautiful Savage Sword of Conan painted cover that was simply stunning. Incredible pick up. Saw Albert Moy's set up and it was very impressive.

By then it was basically time to leave, and after a little while, decided to take off. So Harry, Gene, Dave, myself, and Bob Siman made our way over to a diner and were joined by Arnold Blumburg and Tom Gordon and we scarfed down dinner. Then, Bob and I took off and day one was over...

Sat:

After about fours of shuteye, picked up the Godfather in New Jersey and got on the road towards NYC. We got into the show and saw the ridiculous lines that were already there. It was fairly impressive to see that the show was so packed and the lines were forming, you wondered how they were going to accomodate them all. The simple answer was that they were not going to. The show floor already had a lot of people on it and it wasn't open yet. Thank God again for the exhibitor's pass. I hit the floor and helped Dave manage the ACTOR line for John Romita (let's be honest Dave did all the work there). John was gracious to all the fans after a little while I was able to wander off.

Not too much to see, and it was so crowded that I didn't have a chance to even go by most of the company booths. Wandered by some of the artists again and saw some very crowded alleys. Have no idea where some of the bigger names were like McFarlane and Metzler were... and given the crowds, I suspect I might not have gotten a chance to talk to them. Regardless, at around 2 PM, had lunch with Mark Haspel and Mark Zaid, as well as thegoldenage and learnedhand. The food was actually pretty decent and the Nathan's hotdogs were a nice treat.

After eating it was time for the Collector's meeting (more in separate thread about this). It was decently attended and I certainly enjoyed myself... it was very productive and I thought it was very hopeful for getting this off the ground. Thanks again to Brian Schutzer for helping to secure that room.

The whole time I was thinking to myself, the crowds and lines still present at 2 PM were just stunning and I would have been very angry had I stood in line, paid and not even gotten in. That problem has to be corrected if the show is to grow. Plus, it's just not fair to all those fans...

I did some more shopping, got some beautiful high grade late Avengers (Byrne/Perez) from Steve Wyatt, and bought Harry's TOS 59. Was considering buying another book from Harry, but since I'm trying to pull out of comics more or less, decided that it would be better to not spend more money. Also, Buzz delivered on a Zatanna piece that was simply stunning.

Went to the dinner with Dmac, Bruce, Dave, Silverandbronze (tumblers ruled), and Harry and got to the resturaunt which was just packed. Tons of OA guys who were very cool, artists, and just a tremendous job done by Hari Nadu in organizing. Truly a blast.

I enjoyed the show, needs a couple of tweaks, but this show could really become the SD Con of the east.

Thank you for looking out for me,also.Sounds like a very busy couple of days.People like you are rare,indeed.GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) thumbsup2.gif

p.s.I'll probably be wearing my Captain America T-shirt when I open the priority box 27_laughing.gif.

Sounds like a fun con to attend. Although I hate when things get too crowded. Then you pretty much can't do anything because you spend half the time trying to navigate through the aisle ways. Too bad it had to be the same weekend as Mega con...I hope for some more attentive planning next year.

I was unable to go but drove by Javitz a couple of times on Sunday while doing other things and the mob freezing their rear ends off outside of Javitz was huge. What bad planning. Did they stick it in one of the small exhibit halls or something?

I worry that this will leave a bad taste in a lot of people's mouths and next time they do this they'll have the bigger room but people will say "F-THIS, I froze my arse off last time and couldn't get in" (or, I waited 3 hours) Based on my drive by it seemed to be more of a diverse crowd outside than the Big Apple shows (i.e., there were women).

I assume that if you pre-paid, you would not have been turned away?

I'm sort of happy I didn't go as I would not have pre-paid and would have come after it opened and wouldn't have gotten in.

Last time I went to a show at Javitz, I think like 10 years ago, there was a huge crowd and things were pretty smooth. It was right after a huge blizzard, but things still went smoothly. But I think they had a bigger hall then.

I pre-paid and was still turned away at 4pm Saturday afternoon, luckily i waited for about twenty minutes and was let into the show in a flash. The guy i registered with was real nice, he let this guy in with his kid for free, i guess because they were not selling anymore tickets.

Thnx for taking the time to post a report BK. While not like being there, it does a good job of relating what it was like.

And what the f, no mention of your Cap n mandi experience, I can see it left a really big impression on you.

Not sure what you mean about Harley, I always talk him down, well I did at least one time.

Ze-

BTW.. Harry's TOS #58,59.. Christo_pull_hair.gif

Must hate you for awhile.

I left out a lot in my con report.

Actually, you were one of the only new board members I met at the con... great to meet you Ron!

And I will be digging for those 9.8 Batmans later in the week...

I think whats funny is that I met at least 5 of you guys and not one of you mentioned it. I guess next time I should shower? confused-smiley-013.gif