• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Hulk 2 Movie is TOAST

208 posts in this topic

1977 - The Incredible Hulk (Bill Bixby)

1977 - The Incredible Hulk: Death in the Family (Bill Bixby)

1978 - The Incredible Hulk: Married (Bill Bixby)

1988 - The Incredible Hulk Returns (Bill Bixby) Thor appearance

1989 - The Trial of the Incredible Hulk (Bill Bixby) Daredevil/Kingpin appearance

1990 - The Death of the Incredible Hulk (Bill Bixby)

1977 - The Incredible Hulk (Bill Bixby)

1977 - The Incredible Hulk: Death in the Family (Bill Bixby)

1978 - The Incredible Hulk: Married (Bill Bixby)

1988 - The Incredible Hulk Returns (Bill Bixby) Thor appearance

1989 - The Trial of the Incredible Hulk (Bill Bixby) Daredevil/Kingpin appearance

1990 - The Death of the Incredible Hulk (Bill Bixby)

All of that is TV right?

No Big Screen movie there correct?

893scratchchin-thumb.gif

that what I think when someone says movie...

tongue.gif

ok this is totally insane...

Bruce Banner gets so mad is mustashe and beard fall off

when he changes...

trialofhulk.jpg

gamma ray shaving by gillette...

insane.gif

IMO thats the real hulk. Any others are just reprints.

The guy who directed "The Hulk" already has 2 Best Director nominations and probably will own an Oscar before the night of March 5 is out, something Raimi and Singer would likely sell their souls for.

Ang Lee is more critically received than Raimi and Singer for sure. However, they seem to have more respect for the audience expecations and source material than Lee. I respect what Lee tried to do with the Hulk, it just did not come across as a Hulk movie. It would have been better if they created a new character and tried to make an artsy movie from that.

For what it's worth, I don't think Ang Lee did a great job in The Hulk either. I think he's a fantastic director, but great directors have bad movies too. Or, as you and and others here have suggested, perhaps the subject matter just wasn't a good fit for him. But then on paper a lot of people might have thought that a Chinese director doing Sense and Sensibility (an English period piece) might be a bad fit too, and it was a great movie.

I just took exception to characterizing him as a worse director than Raimi or Singer. For what it's worth, I think Raimi is a good director. As for Singer, I was shocked when I realized that the X-Men movies were directed by the same guy who did "Usual Suspects". The guy had a lot of potential and somewhere turned into Michael Bay.

I doubt Singer or Raimi loose any sleep over an Oscar nod. If they did, their choice of material would be more in line with the critcal elite, not fanboys. They seem to like choosing movies they enjoy.

I bet they would dearly love to win an Oscar. Anyways, where does this conception come from, that to win an Oscar a movie has to be some sort of art-house favorite? Off the top of my head, I can immediately think of Jackson winning for "Return of the King", Cameron winning for "Titanic" and Gibson winning for "Braveheart", and there are no doubt many other Oscar winners that were box office smashes and very mainstream. The irony is that many true cinema-philes often consider the Oscars to be too commercial in their selections.

I agree. This isn't the kind of touchy feely movie that's going to garner all the Oscars nods

This misconception that touchy feely or artsy movies are the only ones that win or get nominated for Oscars just makes me laugh. Which two films have won the most Oscars ever? The answer is "Return of the King" and "Ben Hur". Not exactly art house fare.

get a better director like Sam Raimi or Bryan Singer

27_laughing.gifscrewy.gif

The guy who directed "The Hulk" already has 2 Best Director nominations and probably will own an Oscar before the night of March 5 is out, something Raimi and Singer would likely sell their souls for.

Ang Lee has never, EVER been a good director. "The Ice Storm" was passable, but his other films have traditionally been as flat, unimaginative and uninspired as any other examples of mainstream junk out there.

Don't buy the hype.

Well, you're entitled to your opinion, I guess, but I would have to completely disagree. I've seen every movie Lee ever made (including his 2 best films "The Wedding Banquet" and "Eat Drink Man Woman") except for "Ride with the Devil" and "Brokeback Mountain" (which didn't open in Hong Kong until this past weekend), and have liked all of his movies except for The Hulk. If anything, the guy hasn't gotten nearly the recognition he deserves.

I bet they would dearly love to win an Oscar. Anyways, where does this conception come from, that to win an Oscar a movie has to be some sort of art-house favorite? Off the top of my head, I can immediately think of Jackson winning for "Return of the King", Cameron winning for "Titanic" and Gibson winning for "Braveheart", and there are no doubt many other Oscar winners that were box office smashes and very mainstream. The irony is that many true cinema-philes often consider the Oscars to be too commercial in their selections.

Spider-Man and X-Men are not the choices one makes if they want to get an Oscar nod. I don't doubt they would love to win an oscar, but their choice of movies does not give evidence it is high on their list. The only one in your examples that is even close to Spidey or X-Men is LOTR and LOTR is the exception that proves the rule.

I agree. This isn't the kind of touchy feely movie that's going to garner all the Oscars nods

This misconception that touchy feely or artsy movies are the only ones that win or get nominated for Oscars just makes me laugh. Which two films have won the most Oscars ever? The answer is "Return of the King" and "Ben Hur". Not exactly art house fare.

Here you go Tim. I think you are picking out diamonds in the rough for your examples.

Best Film Oscars go to:

Million Dollar Baby (2004)

Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King (2003)

Chicago (2002)

Beautiful Mind, A (2001)

Gladiator (2000)

American Beauty (1999)

Shakespeare in Love (1998)

Titanic (1997)

English Patient, The (1996)

Braveheart (1995)

Forrest Gump (1994)

Schindler's List (1993)

Unforgiven (1992)

Silence of the Lambs, The (1991)

Dances with Wolves (1990)

Driving Miss Daisy (1989)

Rain Man (1988)

Last Emperor, The (1987)

Platoon (1986)

Out of Africa (1985)

Amadeus (1984)

Terms of Endearment (1983)

Gandhi (1982)

Chariots of Fire (1981)

Ordinary People (1980)

Kramer vs. Kramer (1979)

Deer Hunter, The (1978)

Annie Hall (1977)

Rocky (1976)

One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest (1975)

Godfather: Part II, The (1974)

Sting, The (1973)

Godfather, The (1972)

French Connection, The (1971)

Patton (1970)

Midnight Cowboy (1969)

Oliver! (1968)

In the Heat of the Night (1967)

Man for All Seasons, A (1966)

Sound of Music, The (1965)

My Fair Lady (1964)

Tom Jones (1963)

Lawrence of Arabia (1962)

West Side Story (1961)

Apartment, The (1960)

Ben-Hur (1959)

Gigi (1958)

Bridge on the River Kwai, The (1957)

Around the World in 80 Days (1956)

Marty (1955)

On the Waterfront (1954)

From Here to Eternity (1953)

Greatest Show on Earth, The (1952)

American in Paris, An (1951)

All About Eve (1950)

All the King's Men (1949)

Hamlet (1948)

Gentleman's Agreement (1947)

Best Years of Our Lives, The (1946)

Lost Weekend, The (1945)

Going My Way (1944)

Casablanca (1942)

Mrs. Miniver (1942)

How Green Was My Valley (1941)

Rebecca (1940)

Gone with the Wind (1939)

You Can't Take It with You (1938)

Life of Émile Zola, The (1937)

Great Ziegfeld, The (1936)

Mutiny on the Bounty (1935)

It Happened One Night (1934)

Cavalcade (1933)

Grand Hotel (1932)

Cimarron (1931)

All Quiet on the Western Front (1930)

Broadway Melody, The (1929)

Wings (1927)

As for most oscar nominations and wins, you left out Titanic. Here are the top ten films:

Oscars® Movie Title Year Nominations

11 Ben-Hur 1959 12

11 Titanic 1997 14

11 The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King 2003 11

10 West Side Story 1961 11

9 Gigi 1958 9

9 The Last Emperor 1987 9

9 The English Patient 1996 12

8 Gone With The Wind 1939 13

8 From Here to Eternity 1953 13

8 On The Waterfront 1954 12

8 My Fair Lady 1964 12

8 Cabaret * 1972 10

8 Gandhi 1982 11

8 Amadeus

So here are the facts with no partiality or cherry picking. Each person can decide what catagory they feel each of these films goes in and what type garners the majority of wins.

You afraid of intimacy Cal? Even Peter P. deserve a little smooch now and then.

Hey ZEMAN - I got a reputation to uphold!!! lol

I am a huge Spider-Man fan( he is number two behind Iron Man obviously), but the pace of ASM 2 dragged considerably because of the Peter/Mary Jane " I...don't know... if I... love you.. or not..." "Oh Peter, please tell me...." " Oh Mary Jane I... got....something.......to......tell....oh I ; just changed....I' can't.....do this.....oh wait..................." silence for 60 long-arse seconds.....

That went on wayyyyyyy too much for a macho man like me!!! But my wife and daughters loved that romance!!!

Hey, Marvel was smart - sprinkle lots of ingredients to appeal to the broadest consumer base possible! Girls like romance - that is why Charlton and others produced those cheesy Romance comics - get the girls to spend money!!!

CAL acclaim.gif

I agree totally ! When i left the movie , the first thing i said was " Was that a love story ? " confused-smiley-013.gif

I actually didn't think Daredevil was that bad - parts of it were horrible, but it had some decent stuff too. I'd rather watch it again than Fantastic Four or Batman 3 & 4.

I have to agree, Daredevil was an okay movie. Not great, mind ya, but not as bad as Fantastic Four. I liked parts of FF and Hulk, but over all, they left a lot to be desired. And I have to agree with others, Lee may be great with other subject matter, but when it comes to the superhero/comic book movie he just didn't have it.

I thought Lee did a decent job of making the movie "comic book" like (

I especially like the subltle "THOOM" that happened before banner changed in to the Hulk the 1st time), but the story was horrible, and did he have any say in that? It was a [embarrassing lack of self control] blush.gif eee -script. effects were not great, but certainly not awful....but my daughter could have (and has tongue.gif) written better...

Now JC, what was wrong with DD?

Here you go Tim. I think you are picking out diamonds in the rough for your examples.

Best Film Oscars go to:

Million Dollar Baby (2004) great

Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King (2003) great

Chicago (2002) ok

Beautiful Mind, A (2001) good

Gladiator (2000) good

American Beauty (1999) good

Shakespeare in Love (1998) sucked

Titanic (1997) b]sucked[/b] except for the boat

English Patient, The (1996) ok

Braveheart (1995) great

Forrest Gump (1994) good

Schindler's List (1993) great

Unforgiven (1992) great

Silence of the Lambs, The (1991) great

Dances with Wolves (1990) great on big screen, sucks on TV

Driving Miss Daisy (1989) good

Rain Man (1988) good

Last Emperor, The (1987) good

Platoon (1986) great

Out of Africa (1985) ok

Amadeus (1984) ok

Terms of Endearment (1983) ok

Gandhi (1982) great

Chariots of Fire (1981) great

Ordinary People (1980) ok

Kramer vs. Kramer (1979)

Deer Hunter, The (1978) great

Annie Hall (1977)

Rocky (1976) great

One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest (1975) great

Godfather: Part II, The (1974) great

Sting, The (1973)

Godfather, The (1972) great

French Connection, The (1971) great

Patton (1970) great

Midnight Cowboy (1969)

Oliver! (1968)

In the Heat of the Night (1967) great

Man for All Seasons, A (1966) great

My Fair Lady (1964)

Tom Jones (1963)

Lawrence of Arabia (1962) great

West Side Story (1961)

Apartment, The (1960)

Ben-Hur (1959) great

Gigi (1958)

Bridge on the River Kwai, The (1957) great

Marty (1955) great

On the Waterfront (1954) great

From Here to Eternity (1953) great

Greatest Show on Earth, The (1952)

American in Paris, An (1951)

All About Eve (1950)

All the King's Men (1949) great

Hamlet (1948)

Gentleman's Agreement (1947)

Best Years of Our Lives, The (1946)

Lost Weekend, The (1945)

Going My Way (1944)

Casablanca (1942) great

Mrs. Miniver (1942)

How Green Was My Valley (1941) great

Rebecca (1940)

Gone with the Wind (1939) great

You Can't Take It with You (1938)

Life of Émile Zola, The (1937)

Great Ziegfeld, The (1936)

Mutiny on the Bounty (1935) great

It Happened One Night (1934)

Cavalcade (1933)

Grand Hotel (1932)

Cimarron (1931)

All Quiet on the Western Front (1930) great

Broadway Melody, The (1929)

Wings (1927)

Just adding my 2cents

Cool, thanks. And if you look at the list, I think it's clear that in fact many are NOT touchy feely or artsy films. Looking just at winners of the past 50 years, here are the movies that in my opinion are not touchy feely or artsy, and in fact were pretty mainstream and appealed to the average movie viewer.

Gladiator (2000)

Titanic (1997)

Braveheart (1995)

Forrest Gump (1994)

Unforgiven (1992)

Rain Man (1988)

Platoon (1986)

Deer Hunter, The (1978)

Rocky (1976)

Sting, The (1973)

Godfather, The (1972)

Patton (1970)

My Fair Lady (1964)

West Side Story (1961)

Ben-Hur (1959)

So just under 50%. Not bad considering some of the comments here would lead one to believe that the list would be some kind of Bergman/Fellini/Truffaut film-fest.

Cool, thanks. And if you look at the list, I think it's clear that in fact many are NOT touchy feely or artsy films. Looking just at winners of the past 50 years, here are the movies that in my opinion are not touchy feely or artsy, and in fact were pretty mainstream and appealed to the average movie viewer.

Gladiator (2000)

Titanic (1997)

Braveheart (1995)

Forrest Gump (1994)

Unforgiven (1992)

Rain Man (1988)

Platoon (1986)

Deer Hunter, The (1978)

Rocky (1976)

Sting, The (1973)

Godfather, The (1972)

Patton (1970)

My Fair Lady (1964)

West Side Story (1961)

Ben-Hur (1959)

So just under 50%. Not bad considering some of the comments here would lead one to believe that the list would be some kind of Bergman/Fellini/Truffaut film-fest.

Don't misunderstand me. I'm not saying all winners were touchy feely or artsy movies. But, the trend in Oscarland is that the biggest blockbuster of the year hardly ever equates to the Best Picture Award. There seems to be quite a difference to what the average movie goer likes and pays for as to what the critics and academy go for.

Titanic was an exception as it was sort of a touchy feely and mainstream success movie. There's also a lot of campaigning and politics involved in some nominations. Like LOTR Return of the King was more of a nod to Jackson's trilogy work as a whole.

I noticed you put a few musicals and to me some very borderline touchy feely flicks in your list here. Regardless of whether or not these would fall into that catagory, I think we can agree they are far from a Super Hero type movie.

Even the Action movies tend to fall under epic or period pieces. Personally to me, the best picture isn't the one that wins the little golden statue, but the one that wins at the box office. Many directors and actors are perfectly fine with being the biggest box office draws to the fans in spite of what the critics think and the academy votes for.

not touchy feely or artsy

Titanic (1997)

Forrest Gump (1994)

Rain Man (1988)

My Fair Lady (1964)

West Side Story (1961)

confused.gif Your definition of touchy feely must differ from most people's.