• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Burntboy's NYComicCon report

9 posts in this topic

it was one Helluva Show............ thumbsup2.gif

thank God i had a dealer pass provided by Byron (TVComics), as the lines were nuts, those that made it in had to wait forever and many, many folks got turned away. but inside it actually rocked for three straight days. Security was chasing non exhibitors out after closing as folks were still poring through longboxes looking for books.

My sense was that many dealers made their numbers by early friday and the rest was gravy. Byron sold one guy 2 full longboxes of HG Richie Rich's and had a couple of nice sales to me. (finally own a midgrade Avengers #1 after 44 years and stocked up on almost all of his line drawn early Classics Illustrated.......)

i walked the 10 blocks or so (including 3 avenues which are about 3-4 times as long as the streets in NYC) each morning and did it twice on friday as i forgot my exhibitor badge....... Christo_pull_hair.gifgrin.gif the temp were cold and the winds were howling all weekend - great exercise and exposure to the elements.............

when we opened on Friday at 5:00 pm there were only two books that required

us to utilize the dreaded "single best offer" scenario. Roy got his JIM 89 and a friend of Marcos (helping out Byron) named Chris got the ST 107.

then Brian (foolkiller) made his purchases for a number of folks and we were off to a decent start. Bob (namisgr) bought a few books which he's already posted elsewhere. Harley showed up later that evening and pretty much wiped out the early JIM's.

went out to dinner with dam60, foolkiller, Gene, Tom G, Bob (namisgr) and Arnold. at a nearby diner after striking out at the first two places. got back to the hotel at a decent hour and had a great nights sleep.

Saturday started a bit slow for me but picked up considerably when Eric (teddymercedes) stopped back after having lost the JIM89 and picked up 2 of my personal faves, Avengers 11 and TOS 49, both in 9.0's. things really heated up when fellow new jerseyan and noted collector Tom Brulato stopped by. he picked up a handful of nice books including the FF 18 for a fellow collector who was there with him.

I bought an Adams and Steranko X-men off of Byron and Marco got them autographed for me. the good news was that he got them both and they were free. the bad news was that Steranko obviously wasn't listening when Byron told him who the book was for, hence my X-men #50 autograph "To Dave" from jim steranko......... 27_laughing.gif

a couple of other folks bought some books later in the day and then it was off to dinner. Hari did a great job organizing some terrific Korean food (had my first Kimchi in 38 years) for almost 50 folks. enjoyed the company of Bronzebruce, Bronze and Silver, Darwin, Dam60, Foolkiller, etc who sat closeby........when i left around 10:30 the Cuban cigars were coming out along with the OA...... thumbsup2.gif

Sunday was just as packed and there were many children in attendance, which was nice to see. Byron, Maria and Marco had these cool "rattlesnake eggs" (strong egg shaped magnets) which rapidly click when tossed aloft slightly separated. Byron sold about 4 cases of the things. you could see the kids faces light up as soon as they walked past and one or more of us tossed them up...........

i didn't sell a single book on Sunday and was clearly shocking a bunch of folks when i would tell them the prices on the books they were curious about.......so i wandered a bit. The brides camera broke in my briefcase so i wandered the floor with a disposable that Byron gave me. Did i mention that there were some REAL babes at this show??? i missed some golden opportunities on Friday and Sunday (Green Lantern girl, Power Girl, Cat Woman, Black Latex girl, etc,) but took some pics for the boys and will post them soon........... devil.gif

helped Byron close down at 6:00pm, dropped him off at his storage facility and thgen headed uptown for a rendezvous with The Blob. we made a deal about 6-8 months ago for a spiiner rack and he'd finally been able to get it from his parents place on Long Island. totally cool 4 sided spinner with headshots of Richie Rich, Spider-Man, Archie and Superman at the top of each side. it's here in my office now............a great way to top off a terrific weekend grin.gifthumbsup2.gif

i'll be posting the remainders from the Sid's Marvel collection later tonight. i'll provide the link to the website where those interested can see the books. some of the prices will be reduced a bit and the first firm offer via PM for a book will close the deal. if you just want to make an offer, please do so and i'll let you know where that stands next week, as i'll be in Mexico for a week beginning tomorrow am. if i have access to the internet, i may get in touch with you sooner, but i suspect i'll have enough else to keep me busy................ grin.gif

Here's to an even better show next Spring with more space!!!! and my thanks again to Byron, Maria and Marco for being so cool about everything with this endeavor........ thumbsup2.gif

thumbsup2.gif

Congrats Harry.

So are you a BSD now?.. I am not sure how to address you.

Last year a briefcase, this year a booth..whats next?

I take it your WW's/Metal Men went untouched? frown.gif Or did they not make the trip?

Ze-

I hope you enjoy your trip south of the border.I hear the iguana is simply delicious.Just make sure that you wait at least 45 minutes after eating before you do any cliff diving 27_laughing.gif.GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) thumbsup2.gif

iggy.jpg[/img]

Burntboy (Harry) what do line drawn classics go for these days.

I know where I can get the full classics illustrated junior snow white book (complete w/out cover art).

I didn't catch you were talking about line drawn comics, not original art....but in re-reading I gotcha now.

I'm uninformed when it comes to original art and values...but I do like Metal Men.