• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Will CBG Cover Controversial Issues?

184 posts in this topic

where exactly has he posted. Im trying to find the link but cant see to locate it

Click Mark's link in the first post on this thread. It will take you directly to the CBG thread we're talking about here. Scroll down and you will run into the beginning of his posts.

He's effectively derailed what was a very interesting discussion...and giving others the impression this Forum is filled with a bunch of loonies... mad.gif

I genuinely wanted CBG's opinion on why they don't cover ANY controversal issues anymore. It wasn't, and still isn't, a anti-CGC post but now it's morphed into an area which looks exactly like that...

I wouldn't blame them if they pulled the thread...

Jim

I tried to get it back on track over there. It's nice to see they(CBG) atleast engage in the threads over there. I may not agree with what they are saying, but it's nice to hear them state their stance.

Nicely done. For now the discussion is on track until the darn Dwarf derails it again.

I agree fully with your comments concerning CBG. I don't necessarily agree with their stated reasoning, but clearly they are making an effort, and a timely one, at providing substantive responses. Kudos to them.

CGC should take out an ad in CBG announcing its decision to ban Ewert, the reasons why and that it is accepting resubmissions for books certified during a specific time period.

popcorn.gif

Anybody want to lay odds on when that happens?

Or would that be a sucker bet?

Nor do I see the true relevance of listing books that did not meet reserve. It is not an accurate depiction of the market value of the book.

Unfortunately the magazine seems to have regressed back to a high school audience mentality with its focus on game cards, new comics and other issues I personally have no interest in. I probably could not care about 90%-95% of the content, and I really don't understand the focus on the price guide pages when no one I know or have ever seen uses them.

I do wish there was a publication that was geared to the more sophisticated collector/investor.

Mark, this is kind of an elitist response. How much of the hobby to you think really cares about the problems associated with CGC, Ewert, and PCS?

Nor do I see the true relevance of listing books that did not meet reserve. It is not an accurate depiction of the market value of the book.

Unfortunately the magazine seems to have regressed back to a high school audience mentality with its focus on game cards, new comics and other issues I personally have no interest in. I probably could not care about 90%-95% of the content, and I really don't understand the focus on the price guide pages when no one I know or have ever seen uses them.

I do wish there was a publication that was geared to the more sophisticated collector/investor.

Mark, this is kind of an elitist response. How much of the hobby to you think really cares about the problems associated with CGC, Ewert, and PCS?

More people would care if they only knew about it? confused-smiley-013.gif

And how many of those people would change their buying/collecting habits as a result?

I don't think it is an elitist response. It certainly wasn't intended to be one. If you compare the type of content that CBG used to have years ago, particularly in the 1970s and 1980s, I think the shift from one substantive area to another supports the validity of my statement.

I am not saying the shift is bad. Obviously it fits their consumer market and enables them to financially succeed. But it is a shift that, as I've heard many times, caused many people to drop their subscriptions. If not for the fact that it is the only real comic magazine out there, and occasionally has some content I find of value, not to mention my own ads, I probably wouldn't still subscribe either.

I would love to see a magazine more attune to Platinum and Golden Age discussions/issues as well as directed towards investors. I completely understand why CBG is not that, and again I don't fault them, but doesn't mean I shouldn't raise the comment or have to sound elitist in doing so.

I don't think it is an elitist response. It certainly wasn't intended to be one. If you compare the type of content that CBG used to have years ago, particularly in the 1970s and 1980s, I think the shift from one substantive area to another supports the validity of my statement.

I am not saying the shift is bad. Obviously it fits their consumer market and enables them to financially succeed. But it is a shift that, as I've heard many times, caused many people to drop their subscriptions. If not for the fact that it is the only real comic magazine out there, and occasionally has some content I find of value, not to mention my own ads, I probably wouldn't still subscribe either.

I would love to see a magazine more attune to Platinum and Golden Age discussions/issues as well as directed towards investors. I completely understand why CBG is not that, and again I don't fault them, but doesn't mean I shouldn't raise the comment or have to sound elitist in doing so.

How many collectors would fit your description for your view of a magazine? 100? 500? 1000? Do you think that would realistically sustain publication? CBG as you said must follow the market, which obviously doesn't care one bit about niche problems in the hobby.

And how many of those people would change their buying/collecting habits as a result?

I know about it (Ewert), Comic-Keys and about a zillion scam sellers/auctions on Ebay and none of it's changed the way I buy comics. I have never spent mad money on HG comics and I never will. I only buy on Ebay from sellers I know and trust (unless it's like a $5 book, then I don't really care). Most of my transactions are with forum members and well known, long time dealers.

I agree that probably 90% of comic book collectors and probably 95% of CBG readers couldn't give a rats ars about CGC, Ewert, Keys or any CGC and/or high grade high dollar comics.

On the other hand I can see the value of CBG reporting some of these issues. I think in a perfect world they would cover most if not all of these issues, but I understand it not being a priority for them. They are in business to do the same thing as CGC or anyone else that runs a business, and that's to make money. Pandering to the elite 5 or 10% just doesn’t pay the bills.

BTW, this isn't directed at anyone specifically, just a general rant.

I know about it (Ewert), Comic-Keys and about a zillion scam sellers/auctions on Ebay and none of it's changed the way I buy comics. I have never spent mad money on HG comics and I never will. I only buy on Ebay from sellers I know and trust (unless it's like a $5 book, then I don't really care). Most of my transactions are with forum members and well known, long time dealers.

I agree that probably 90% of comic book collectors and probably 95% of CBG readers couldn't give a rats ars about CGC, Ewert, Keys or any CGC and/or high grade high dollar comics.

On the other hand I can see the value of CBG reporting some of these issues. I think in a perfect world they would cover most if not all of these issues, but I understand it not being a priority for them. They are in business to do the same thing as CGC or anyone else that runs a business, and that's to make money. Pandering to the elite 5 or 10% just doesn’t pay the bills.

BTW, this isn't directed at anyone specifically, just a general rant.

That is exactly my sentiments. Well put OG.

In the case of PCS, there is simply nothing to report, despite the rumors.

but who ARE all these people that collect comics and dont care about CGC? When you go to conventions, and speak to fellow collectors, do any of you have first hand knowledge of this? Or is the convention-going sample already distort the question. Seems to me if you collect back issues, grading enters the equation. And it follows that CGC-grading will too.

So does CBG only cater to new comics fans> and comics movie fans? If so why have a price guide, and columns on Ebay auctions listing CGC grades?

Im just not buying their answers as anything other than a persecuted "we dont have the resources or the time" and "we cant afford litigation" and the "front office wont let us" litany of excuses so they can just focus on packing their next issue with more useless stuff that interests Maggie etc but nobody else reads.

Does anyone here think that the Ewert thing is NOT widely known to all back issue collectors?

Maybe CBG is exactly what they say they are, though, and this stuff just doesnt interest their readers. If so, we have very little in common with them anymore.

How many collectors would fit your description for your view of a magazine? 100? 500? 1000? Do you think that would realistically sustain publication? CBG as you said must follow the market, which obviously doesn't care one bit about niche problems in the hobby.

Frankly, if anything, I would say your arguments and the undertones are more elitist than mine. I would prefer to advocate that CBG be for all inclusiveness, not the opposite. I have no idea what the # is for those who would agree with me as to what I would want to see for content in a magazine. I can probably say accurately (but it admittedy my estimate) that the minority of us in the collecting field spend the majority of the money in the world of comics. In Washington, D.C., that alone would be sufficient to give us power, so why not in comics too! thumbsup2.gifstooges.gif

And need I say again, that the issues we are raising with CBG are only related to CGC. They strike far more to the heart of just simple and straightforward integrity and honesty issues that can impact the entire collecting community.

I think Comic Book Marketplace came closest to achieving this, but they unfortunately couldn't stay afloat. I thought many of their articles were quite good in providing a scholarly (but not too high brow) look at the content, context and creators in the comic medium. A magazine for Platinum and GA collectors would have an extremely small target audience. I don't see a tremendous upside in terms of profitability. Regarding investors, what is there really to say specifically to them? "Here's a list of keys and other important books, here's what's rare and what isn't. Buy the highest grade copies you can possibly afford. Diversifiy your assets, and don't count on comics as your only source of retirement funds." I'm oversimplifying it, but that's about it. Any other information they should be reading would be applicable to all collectors.

Maybe a lawyer can help me out here but can you run an ad in CBG that states in affect that you’re looking for a particular type of CGC comic that has not been touched by a previous dealer known as Jason Ewert who was banned from submitting to CGC?

Seems to get some facts across to the average CBG reader that if they bought from this person in the past, their books are not so liquid to other dealers and maybe that can start them on the path to discover why.

Maybe I'm grasping at straw here?

confused-smiley-013.gif

I think Comic Book Marketplace came closest to achieving this, but they unfortunately couldn't stay afloat. I thought many of their articles were quite good in providing a scholarly (but not too high brow) look at the content, context and creators in the comic medium. A magazine for Platinum and GA collectors would have an extremely small target audience. I don't see a tremendous upside in terms of profitability. Regarding investors, what is there really to say specifically to them? "Here's a list of keys and other important books, here's what's rare and what isn't. Buy the highest grade copies you can possibly afford. Diversifiy your assets, and don't count on comics as your only source of retirement funds." I'm oversimplifying it, but that's about it. Any other information they should be reading would be applicable to all collectors.

That bit of logic can refer to any hobby, market or business today and yet we have entire television broadcast focused on discussing them 24 hours a day.