• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

CGC FORUM TOP BRONZE AGE COVERS - #20

42 posts in this topic

Well the votes are all in and have been verified by FFB and myself. As I thought it was very very close - especially in the Top 20 with many books placing by 4th and 5th place votes.

Here is the first entry to make it into the Top 20, qualifying by a difference of one 3rd place vote. The only book nominated by artist Mike Kaluta. Thanks to Board Member Sal who nominated the Book. thumbsup2.gif

DetectiveComics423.jpg

2/day until the top 5 - so one in the morning and one at night. Hopefully that will give people a chance to talk about the books grin.gif

Ah, you want us to actually make commentary... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

This cover for me is not one of Kaluta's best. I think it suffers in a similar way to Steve Ditko's cover to ASM #30, in that the central character is very small. A great use of perspective and composition though, as is ASM 30.

2/day until the top 5 - so one in the morning and one at night. Hopefully that will give people a chance to talk about the books grin.gif

This cover for me is not one of Kaluta's best. I think it suffers in a similar way to Steve Ditko's cover to ASM #30, in that the central character is very small. A great use of perspective and composition though, as is ASM 30.

I agree with Blowout + the subject matter does not grab me. The daring use of perspective does make for a singular and eye-catching cover though. By the way, I think you posted a scan of Detective 42 poke2.gif

I agree with Blowout + the subject matter does not grab me.

Yep, this one is definitely not one of Kaluta's best, but I can imagine with the voting format, the top 11-20 are going to be a bit of dog's breakfast.

Actually the voting format did what it was designed to do - there are no ties in the Top 20, or the Top 30 for that matter I believe. yay.gif

I know, and I just meant that with only 2 of 5 voting slots open to non-nominated books, it means that many of the lower-tier books are in there by a thread.

Actually the voting format did what it was designed to do - there are no ties in the Top 20, or the Top 30 for that matter I believe. yay.gif

I know, and I just meant that with only 2 of 5 voting slots open to non-nominated books, it means that many of the lower-tier books are in there by a thread.

Yep JC thats a valid point. Overall the Top 20 were scored well in terms of number of total votes received - especially the Top 10. While I think the respose was great at 77people, more people are always better. Had the voting reached 100 participants I think the results from 20-30 would have been more substantial, but in the end the distribution still holds up rather well. If I try to do this for a different Age then giving more votes might be an answer, but its a fine line between giving to many votes, which would lessen the credibilty of the results and giving too few which might hurt the coverage and representation further down the list. juggle.gif

Regardless the constructive comments have been helpful thumbsup2.gif

I agree with Blowout + the subject matter does not grab me. The daring use of perspective does make for a singular and eye-catching cover though. By the way, I think you posted a scan of Detective 42 poke2.gif

the somewhat unusual perspective, the concept of Batman using a sniper rifle, the pictureframe cover and the fact that i hadn't been aware of this cover until recently - the "newness" factor is what drove me to nominate it.

i'm glad other people liked it enough to vote for it...which is more than i can say for at least one of the other covers i nominated

This cover doesn't do it for me...too much border text/pictures, and you just really can't tell what the heck's going on. Batman with the gun is kinda cool I guess? confused-smiley-013.gif

This cover doesn't do it for me...too much border text/pictures, and you just really can't tell what the heck's going on. Batman with the gun is kinda cool I guess? confused-smiley-013.gif

I agree. I usually like the border covers, but this one loses too much of the image, with Batman too small to begin with. I generally love Kaluta's work, but while a striking design this one doesn't knock me out.

IMO this book does well for a few reasons. It is different from the covers surrounding it in both the series and the Poll. I think the perspective is very very cool as is Batman's use of a gun - it may have scored higher if they let the cover take up more of the page, that certainly detracts from it. I wonder if they did that because it was Kaluta, certainly this would not have been done to a Neal Adams cover - maybe they figured they needed to seel it more. Is it Kaluta's best work in the BA, probably not. However this cover does seem to stand out, every time I see It on the con floor, I know I stop and admire the use of perspective and the way Batman is represented on the cover.

In the end it looks like enough board members agreed with Sal grin.gif