• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

CGC FORUM TOP BRONZE AGE COVERS - #20

42 posts in this topic

Exactly, which is why we voted. Everyone had 10 Days to nominate books and 10 days to vote. Out of all the people on the boards NOBODY piped up for Shadow #2 - hence it wasn't on the list. See you in the morning with #18.

Alarm Clock

At least it isn't one of Kaluta's 893censored-thumb.gif Shadow covers!!

confused.gif What's wrong with his Shadow covers? #2 is miles ahead of this one. confused-smiley-013.gif

I totally agree . . .

S2ss.jpg

thumbsup2.gif

Wow, I think his nose is a third of his head. 27_laughing.gif

2/day until the top 5 - so one in the morning and one at night. Hopefully that will give people a chance to talk about the books grin.gif

Can you do 4 or 5 a day? Otherwise this is going to turn into the "INFINITE CGC Forum Top Bronze Age Covers" thread. foreheadslap.gif

I also think that you will get more people talking about the list if you present more/all of it at once. Otherwise, you're only going to get commentary from people who are interested in any particular issue (and, like Tim, I don't think much of the first two selections), while missing a lot of the comparative commentary.

I'd be curious to hear how many "points" a book required to make the Top 20.

Me too. Like the grading poll, without actual numbers you would have no idea on how many people voted for him/her or what the average was.

DetectiveComics423.jpg

For what it's worth... I've always liked this cover a whole lot. It wouldn't make my top 5 covers (and thus, it didn't tongue.gif), but it's very visually striking and the unique perspective makes it one of my favorite BA Detective covers. On almost every other superhero cover, we're at eye level with the hero and the action is front and center...but here we're seeing him from above & at a distance as he reacts to something "off-camera", which reinforces the "what the heck is going on here" feeling and the sense of menace. I love the strong darks & lights and the 3-D effect of the forced perspective. Again, not a top 5 cover perhaps, but one that is striking & unique in its own way.

I think it suffers in a similar way to Steve Ditko's cover to ASM #30, in that the central character is very small. A great use of perspective and composition though, as is ASM 30.

I agree with a lot said here, minus any admiration for use of perspective or Ditko. thumbsup2.gif

Me too. Like the grading poll, without actual numbers you would have no idea on how many people voted for him/her or what the average was.

I agree, because I find it hard to believe this cover scored more than three fifth place votes, including the mandatory vote by the nominator 27_laughing.gif

I agree, because I find it hard to believe this cover scored more than three fifth place votes, including the mandatory vote by the nominator 27_laughing.gif

Maybe the raw numbers can be released after the results are finished. I would also like to see what came in #21-30.

Dan

maybe you could find a way to voice your future objections to a cover in a way less deragotory towards the taste of the nominator?

confused-smiley-013.gif