• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

CGC FORUM TOP BRONZE AGE COVERS - FINAL RESULTS

11 posts in this topic

PLEASE SEE BRONZE AGE FORUM for a detailed list of the Top 20 Covers based on nominations and votes from CGC Board members over the past month.

As well as a blow by blow of analysis and opinions 27_laughing.gif as the Top 20 are revealed. Final results and vote tallys will be posted here on all books including the Top 20 once the Top Cover has been announced.

My thanks again to everyone who participated. It was a lot of work but a lot of fun too.

hi.gif Jason (jbud73)

PLEASE SEE BRONZE AGE FORUM for a detailed list of the Top 20 Covers based on nominations and votes from CGC Board members over the past month.

As well as a blow by blow of analysis and opinions as the Top 20 are revealed. Final results and vote tallys will be posted here on all books including the Top 20 once the Top Cover has been announced.

My thanks again to everyone who participated. It was a lot of work but a lot of fun too.

I didn't participate for 2 good reasons -- I don't know nuffin' 'bout mainstream Bronze Age and I didn't have time to look it over before the polls closed.

The BA timeline was defined as Jan 1970 - Dec 1981 (no complaint since those lines are arbitrary) but did all the nominations have to come from the Big Two? Were there really no nominees from other publishers? No undergrounds, the comics that us old farts really read (if any) during the 70s? No Crumb covers? Amazing.

Interesting poll. Nice job running it and I'll be sure to look over the winners.

Jack

The BA timeline was defined as Jan 1970 - Dec 1981 (no complaint since those lines are arbitrary) but did all the nominations have to come from the Big Two? Were there really no nominees from other publishers? No undergrounds, the comics that us old farts really read (if any) during the 70s? No Crumb covers? Amazing.

Not all covers needed to be from The Big Two, but that's mainly what people chose to nominate. There was one nomination for a Charlton. I looked through my Gold Keys, humor books, etc., but it's tough finding covers that will stand up against Wrightson, Adams, and Smith in their prime.

Attached below is the the link to the final list, I uploaded it to a hosting site, I have no clue how to post the html here so you can see the file. Books with 0 votes were those where the nominators did not participate in the final voting. Anyway here are my final thoughts on the results.

How the list WAS representative of the board. Well after being here for three years I think it actually did represent the BA board pretty well. Four Batman books in the list - there is a BA Batman thread. Horror and horror themed books did well and there is of course the BA Horror thread which dominates this board. All the big BA artists were represented well, with Neal Adams leading the way and he certainly is a popular artist around here.

What I thought was missing. Well if anything BA Horror may have been under rep'd given its influence around here. It surprised me that no Marvel Horror book was on the nominations list. Also absent were BA War books, which would have been in keeping with that popular thread. The Cover that surprised me the most not being on the list has got to be FF 112 - this might be due to Defenders 10 being there though. Artists missing: Kubert sticks out as not having a book up there, as does Gene Colan.

With respect to the voting. Its clear to me that in order to get into the Top 20 the cover needed to have multiple layers of appeal. Meaning that a combination of artist, the actual image and the importance of the book were necessary to carry it to the top. Many of the books in the Top 20 were those where a person voted for 4 Marvel and one DC, or the otherway around. The lone book from the other company was often the book that scored well and I think this shows the cross appeal of the books. Here are some great examples.

Detective 423: Its a Batman cover, its Kaluta's only entry in the Poll and it has a unique looking cover. With all of the other Adams Detective Books looking the same, they split the vote and allowed this book to look more unique in my opinion and garner that extra 1st place vote to get in. This also kind of lends support to the argument that Adams Batman work in more appreciated than his Detective Stuff.

X-Men 141: With all the X-Men books nominated why did this one score so well. My opinion is that the common themes of the other books are Phoenix, so they compete against each other. X-men 141 has Byrne + Wolvie on the Cover (out of costume) + a great story to make it more memorable. All of these elements work to pull it past the rest of the X-Books into the Top 20. This mutliple layer of appeal caused it to get a few votes from DC collectors and put it over the top.

HOS 92: Again with all the other Swampy's why is this one there. Well they are all Wrightson, they are all powerful images, but his 1st app. draws more attention and therefore sets it apart from the other books who canibalize their votes, again a few Zombies threw in votes here.

Weird Mystery #4: Why it doesnt score higher. Its got Wrightson and a cool image, however it does not have enough other elements to compete with a Batman/Superman Adams cover, or a Romita Spiderman with the Green Goblin on it.

So if you look at the Top 10 especially they all seem to have a synergy and more than one thing going for them to that caused them to place high in the voting - and I personally think thats the way it should be grin.gif

Finally my thanks to FFB for helping me out with the counting and recording of votes thumbsup2.gif and to everyone else who participated, hope you had as much fun as I did. 893applaud-thumb.gif

FINAL VOTE RESULTS

Jbud I want to applaud you for your efforts. I didn't have a lot of time to participate in the voting but I have to say after reviewing most of the winners I'm just not sure I'm "feeling it" so to speak. At least 60% of the winning covers left me scratching my head. confused-smiley-013.gif

Jbud I want to applaud you for your efforts. I didn't have a lot of time to participate in the voting but I have to say after reviewing most of the winners I'm just not sure I'm "feeling it" so to speak. At least 60% of the winning covers left me scratching my head. confused-smiley-013.gif

ditto...anyway, congrats for all the work and dedication. It was a nice contest to see/discuss.

regards

Hey guys all I can say was that I believe the voting was conducted in a manner that eliminated as much bias as possible so it was the forum members consensus that we saw in the end. Had more people participated maybe things would have been different, maybe not, thanks for the input.

It was a cool poll! thumbsup2.gif

Even though no Byrnes in the top 5 sumo.gif