• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

[Brag] I got my Amazing Fantasy 15 today!

42 posts in this topic

Yep, I know about the restoration. I am fully aware of it.

Know what? I don't care

Well, I have copies of Fantastic Four # 1 and Justice League of America # 1 and I don't care if they're restored either. grin.gif

Yep, I know about the restoration. I am fully aware of it.

Know what? I don't care.

Dang straight brother!!

Don't collect for anyone but yourself.

Good attitude, Joe. smile.gif

Somedasy when funds permit, I'll buy an untouched copy. But I've known from the beginning about the work done on it, and don't regret it at all.

As long as full disclosure is made with a restored book, then there really is no problem. You get a nice looking book at a price you can afford.

Sounds like you are happy to get a book you really wanted, congrats. grin.gif

Now that everyone knows the book is restored, that changes everything, doesn't it?

I think the big concern many people have is when a high grade key book is sold unslabbed. The first thought that goes through my mind is "Restoration". Most people think, why not get it slabbed and double the profit.

Just this past week, one forum member was selling (on eBay) a ASM #2 in a unslabbed VF/NM grade. He pointed out that he thought there might be some color touch but couldn't be certain. Well if he really wasn't certain (say 50-50), he would/should have gotten it slabbed and found out. Yes, he would have spent $70 and two weeks time but if the book had come back "no restoration" then he would have made 4-5 times what it eventually sold for.

While many people believe CGC grading is a little inconsistent, the real value to me is the restoration check. And yes, it is possible that they miss some restoration (i.e. pressing, slight trimming, pencil marks removed, etc.). But if it has a blue label, I'm going to buy it and SELL it assuming that it is unrestored (because I am relying on experts).

Congrats on getting a book you really wanted. Regardless if it is restored, it still looks very nice. grin.gif

Know what? I don't care.

I think that's a good attitude. Were I seeking books in that range I would certainly consider and enjoy restored ones. Otherwise I would have to do without and that would not be acceptable!

The comic has Ciccone touches on the edge

This is the quality of the restoration work done by the esteemed Susan Ciccone, you have to be kidding me??? It looks like about an 1/8" strip along the entire right edge has been filled in with bondo and painted over to repair marvel chipping, and the colors don't even match!

I would definitely seek out the certificate documenting this, because this does not look like the work of a professional to me...

This is the quality of the restoration work done by the esteemed Susan Ciccone, you have to be kidding

Doc, I was thinking the same thing when I suggested getting a copy of Susan's disclosure sheet (she always supplies one with the books she works on). You were a bit more blunt than was I, all the more power to you. But now that you siad it aloud - yeah. That does not look like Susan's work. frown.gif

The work is REALLY nice "in person." some of what you guys are seeing is the result of low-DPI scanning and image compression, not shoddy work. Some of the darker color areas that appear in the scan aren't actually discolored on the actual book, and some of what appears restored in the scan aren't actually the areas where extensive work was done, so the book gets judged harshly more because of scan flaws than actual problems.

Yeah, I'm one of those guys who collects for the pure fun of it. I don't run a business, I don't sell a lot of books for money...I'm one of the few who still remembers how it "felt" to shop for comics at age 14 in the 1980's, and just have your eyes sparkle with the sights of it all. For me, I get that same exhuberence when I glace over and see a colorful, slick-looking AF 15 in a Showcase Sealer on my wall, next to my UN-restored ASM #1 (in G+ condition) or my two copies of DD #1, or my ASM 14 in F.

So restored books don't turn me off. In fact, restored books practically "save" the hobby for me: it's the only way I can get a great-LOOKING book for a cheap price. Same with the FF #1 and ASM #1 (GRR) I'm getting, too.

For me, big bucks don't matter. Great comics from the age of growing up make all the difference.

It's not only a healthy attiitude, but an affordable one.

Thanks for the enthusiasm for my delight, bros!

For me, big bucks don't matter. Great comics from the age of growing up make all the difference.

More power to you. I follow the same philosophy. Enjoy your new treasure! smile.gif

More power to you. I follow the same philosophy. Enjoy your new treasure! smile.gif

Indeed! Congratulations!! You've caught the white whale! (And I don't mean 'House!)

Yeah, I read it. AFTER my rambunktous toddler son went to bed (he tend to take flying leaps into the laps of magazine readers).

You are wise in selecting less expensive restored books and also wise in protecting them!

"But now that you siad it aloud - yeah. That does not look like Susan's work."

I'll second that. I had a Spidey #1 done by her (1st and only time I had a book restored). What a dissapointment / waste of money. Flipped the book the next week since I couldnt stand the sight of it.

Great comics from the age of growing up make all the difference.

If you were 14 in the 80s, then wouldn't the books you're referring to above be from the Bronze Age? Like GI Joe, Transformers, and Wolverine 1982 Limited Series?Unless you've lived past lives I don't see you growing up with AF 15, ASM 1, ASM 14... tongue.gif