• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Hulk 181 "Variant" Cover?

28 posts in this topic

What's going on is this seller is a class-A [embarrassing lack of self control] who left this copy on top of the stack of his "many other 181s" where the sun regularly shone down upon it. Or on the wall, etc. If it was run without a plate the color shift would be evenly distributed throughout the whole cover.

It was on display in a comic shop wall. Other books to either side covered the left and right edges, hence, it is mainly faded in the center where it was exposed to the flourescent light.

You guys are smart.

Red always changes to yellow, while leaving most of the other colors unchanged for the most part. Hulk's purple pants took a beating though as the red portion faded.

And you are right, this seller is a POS.

I like this part:

This one is extremely close to a near mint copy. I would consider it a gradeable copy and would probably come back in the high 90's, if you are into sending off comics to be graded.

Where can I get a book graded where it will come back in the high 90's? And to think I've been settling for measly 9.8s foreheadslap.gif

I would have gone with the sunfade theory myself buy the lettering in the wendigo boxx is completely gone. In addition only the red parts are faded not the other colors.

All colors do not fade equally.

The reds will go first. The black, blue and brown will hold up longer.

From the auction:

Personally I think this cover is better looking than the original  green one.

So now we need to start looking out for a GREEN variant Hulk 181? grin.gif

I would have gone with the sunfade theory myself buy the lettering in the wendigo boxx is completely gone. In addition only the red parts are faded not the other colors.

The reds will go first. The black, blue and brown will hold up longer.

There is a great sense of deja vu with this thread - does anyone know whatever happened with the Amazing Spider-man #149 print-error variant? I don't believe it ever made it into the OS guide as such... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

There is a great sense of deja vu with this thread - does anyone know whatever happened with the Amazing Spider-man #149 print-error variant? I don't believe it ever made it into the OS guide as such... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

604393-spidey1.jpg604393-spidey2.jpg

The reds will go first. The black, blue and brown will hold up longer

893scratchchin-thumb.gif Looks to me like the Blue went first and the red is still bright on that ASM #149 so is that one a printing problem or Fade?

I woukd say that Blue never got invited to that particular party sorry.gif