• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ASM #238 & tatooz?

48 posts in this topic

As I understand it, some copies were made without the Tattooz. I don't know how many of each were made. I never had a copy of the book until less than a year ago because I wasn't buying new comics at the time it was published, but I have 3 copies right now and they all have the same tattooz insert. And they all have the same 2 tattooz- you can tell by holding the insert up to a strong light (that's why I provided the link- for those that don't know where the actual tattooz are).

Hmmm thanks, interesting mine didnt have that insert in it, also they didnt answer if it was attached or just sitting in the comic?

foreheadslap.gif

Once AGAIN, the Tatooz insert is attached at the TOP STAPLE and I believe there is a small cardboard tip at the front of the book as well. Just like a magazine subscription insert, and this one functions much like the first and last pages of the actual comic.

Trust me on this, I have multiple copies.

If you used scissors to cut the insert (or even ripped carefully), then it would be no problem to remove the Tatooz without affecting the book.

Hmmm thanks, interesting mine didnt have that insert in it, also they didnt answer if it was attached or just sitting in the comic?

Trust me on this, I have multiple copies.

Any NM w/tatooz for sale?

I believe CGC just notes with or without tatooz and it still stays as a blue label either way.

Not that I've seen, it's always been Green Qualified, and I ever found a new label to confirm CGC's still doing it:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Amazing-Spiderman-23...1QQcmdZViewItem

CGC graded at 6.5 with a qualified grade, as the Tattooz is missing from the insert.

But isn't the actual INSERT part STAPLED into the book itself?

If the whole deal is removed (and not just the tattooz), wouldn't you have to disassemble the book to put it back?

Some copies were printed and bound without tattooz. My newsstand copy (bought in a sealed Marvel MultiMags pack at the grocery store) did not have the tattooz or the white insert in it. I don't know if other newsstand issues were bound without them or not.

I believe CGC just notes with or without tatooz and it still stays as a blue label either way.

Not that I've seen, it's always been Green Qualified, and I ever found a new label to confirm CGC's still doing it:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Amazing-Spiderman-23...1QQcmdZViewItem

CGC graded at 6.5 with a qualified grade, as the Tattooz is missing from the insert.

Interestingly, that's another newsstand copy that doesn't have the tattooz. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif I wonder if there was a batch of newsstand copies that slipped through QC without the inserts?

Some copies were printed and bound without tattooz. My newsstand copy (bought in a sealed Marvel MultiMags pack at the grocery store) did not have the tattooz or the white insert in it. I don't know if other newsstand issues were bound without them or not.

Far more likely they were cut out or otherwise removed (it's quite easy with scissors and you'd never know) due to legal or distribution reasons.

Most of my ASM 238 copies are newstand and they all have the insert.

I've been collecting for over 20 years and my ASM 238 definitely did not come with an insert.

I actually cannot remember any of those books ever coming with the inserts up here...maybe it's a local/eastern Canada/regional thing? confused-smiley-013.gif

I had a GiJOE #9 with a tatooz. Only one I've ever seen? Although I haven't seen that many. Anyone else have an issue besides the spidey, x-men, and FF?

I have an issue of Dazzler somewhere that has the tattoos. My newsstand copy of ASM 238 didn't come with them.

I've been collecting for over 20 years and my ASM 238 definitely did not come with an insert.

I actually cannot remember any of those books ever coming with the inserts up here...maybe it's a local/eastern Canada/regional thing? confused-smiley-013.gif

I think it might be because I still have my off the rack original copy I don't recall the tatooz being there although I may have discarded it when I bought it. Its all a blur now because I was too excited when I first saw this book and couldn't wait to take it home a read it about 50 times.

I had a subscription to Amaz. SM back in the day, as a kid...and I remember when that issue showed up in the mail...there were no tatz in the book.

It wasn't until YEARS later as a collector going to shows and spending more money than I've a right to spend on comics...that I finally saw an issue with the tatz in them. Since then, I've come upon about a handful of issues with the tatz.

They were pretty easy enough to slide out of the binding, as they weren't actually stitched into the book...just slid in between the text and the cover.

In that case you are missing the Tatooz, which is no big deal as I think Overstreet now lists the books as equal value with or without.

Someone correct me if I am wrong here, but I believe a whole bunch of Marvels released during this month had the Tat's, and it is pretty easy to take them out of a lesser valued book and put them into this one. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Sorry but i don't like what you are suggesting blowout. Also i've never heard of another book with the Tatooz. And if Overstreet are listing them as being of the same value then that's absurd.

Blowout is correct. Overstreet lists 238 only once, but it says nothing about issues where the Tattooz have been removed having a lower value; I agree that they should. The note says: "The same decal appears in the more common FAntastic Four 252 which is being removed & placed in this issue as incentive to increase value." So I guess this suggests that it is worth more with the Tatooz in place, although you never know if they are the originals or not. foreheadslap.gif