• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Am I the only one wondering what the next Hake's Auction will be?

26 posts in this topic

They post it on March 8th, but I am wondering what they will have. Their past auctions have been pretty interesting so I wonder what gems they will list. Some people don't like the high starting bid, but I like it since you don't have to guess a reserve price and it lets you know if you are in the ballpark before the bidding starts. I have only picked up a Batman 28 from them, but we will see...

Hmmm, lets see, I predict:

Showcase #4 CGC 9.2

Mad #1 CGC 9.8 Gaines

Mad #10 CGC 9.4 Gaines

Mad #17 CGC 9.6 Gaines

Sub-Mariner #1 CGC 6.5

Daredevil Battles Hitler 1 CGC 8.5

Superman 48 CGC 9.4 Toledo

Wambi 5 CGC 9.4 Mile High

All Star 1 CGC 8.0

But this is just a guess. gossip.gif

Hmmm, lets see, I predict:

Showcase #4 CGC 9.2

Mad #1 CGC 9.8 Gaines

Mad #10 CGC 9.4 Gaines

Mad #17 CGC 9.6 Gaines

Sub-Mariner #1 CGC 6.5

Daredevil Battles Hitler 1 CGC 8.5

Superman 48 CGC 9.4 Toledo

Wambi 5 CGC 9.4 Mile High

All Star 1 CGC 8.0

But this is just a guess. gossip.gif

Kreskin.gif

I've got a big tub of popcorn out for the Showcase 4.

Lately I have been buying more books from Hakes than I have from Heritage's auctions. I agree with Greg, I like the fact that they post their starting bids so you don't have to guess what the reserve price will be. I got some pretty good deals with them before they started their buyer's premium. I also like the fact that their auctions are only online so I have a much better chance of picking up some gems! The more people that stay away from their auctions, the better for me!

I agree, keep away to give some of other collectors a chance. I only picked up a Batman 28, but it was 8.0 with white pages (a nice replacement to my 6.0 with slight spine roll). Hakes seems to bring out some interesting stuff and I know the Detectives thay had listed a while back had a reasonable starting price (went for a lot more by the time the auction ended).

Yes and I was a winning bidder on three of the Detectives which were all graded 9.0, 127, 128 and 172! I got three really nice high grade copies with ow/w pages at reasonable prices! Its just too bad there is a buyer premium on every winning bid now but I understand they have to be competitive to get consignments!

I just got my catalog, no Batman's or Detective's for me, but a few interesting items.

Action 20, 7.0 White pages (terrible blue registration!)

Action 23, 7.0 OW

Action 31, 7.0 OW/W

Assoted actions, 182, 183, 186, 192 in 7.5 to 9.2 (super tough, especially in this condition, all with nice pages!)

Some nice All Stars

Superman 48 in 9.4!

Daring Mystery Comics 5 in 8.0

Sun Girl 1 in 7.5

Bunch of Mile High ACGs

Arrow 1 in 8.0 OW pages!!! (always loved that cover)

Funny Picture Stories 1 (1936) in 8.0 OW pages

Catman 1, 7.5 OW/W hail.gif

Mad 1 9.8 (I wonder whose that one is 893scratchchin-thumb.gif)

Ibis 3 Mile High 9.6 (I think this one was in Heritage or Manning, but a 9.2 or 9.4 back then)

Jungle 1, 7.0 OW/W (another favorite cover)

Phantom Lady 15 6.0 White pages (maybe it will be somewhat affordable)

Little Dot 1 4.5

Jackpot 8 and 9 in 8.0 and 7.0 both Chicago copies

Black Terror 1 in 6.0 hail.gif

Justice Traps the Guilty 6.5 White pages (cool cover!)

Dennis the Mennace 1 in 5.0 OW pages

oh yeah, and a Showcase 4, 9.2 (another book I wonder who owns 893scratchchin-thumb.gif)

Plus a lot more. I recommend getting Hake's catalog since this is just the comics. There are lots of other cool stuff.

Disclaimer: I do not work for Hake's or have any association with Hake's. I have purchased one book from them and have consigned nothing! I am just posting as I felt others may be interested in their auctions!

2 issues of Marvel Family, but no Whiz Comics or CMAs.

And batman_fan failed to mention what I consider the crown jewel of the auction...

The highest graded copy of Superman #9, a CGC 9.0 with OW-W pages, and very nicely centered. Opening bid is $2700, which is just under guide for that grade. Really nice copy, but a bit out of my price range at the moment.

And no Schomburg Nedor war covers. Not a one.

The dollar amount shown is the opening bid. The letter in parenthesis is a code for an estimated value. For example, The Superman #9 has an opening bid of $2700, and the (L) code means it's estimated value is $2000-$4999.

I also just got my Hakes catalog yesterday and was dissapointed that there will be no Detectives in this auction. There are some really nice Actions so maybe I'll see some action in this auction! The Showcase #4 is really sweet, just wish I would have bought a high grade copy of this book years ago, cause now its way too expensive. I did buy a high grade Flash #105 15 years ago thank God! Hey no Flash comics in this auction either, bummer!

The highest graded copy of Superman #9, a CGC 9.0 with OW-W pages, and very nicely centered. Opening bid is $2700, which is just under guide for that grade. Really nice copy, but a bit out of my price range at the moment.

That is a great price (assuming the book is not pressed). I sold my CGC 8.0 copy for $2,800 late last year. Under guide? A HG Superman #9? SNAP IT UP!!!! I'll bid on it for sure at that price. makepoint.gif

No, I don't own it! 893naughty-thumb.gif

I just got my catalog, no Batman's or Detective's for me, but a few interesting items.

Superman 48 in 9.4!

Mad 1 9.8 (I wonder whose that one is 893scratchchin-thumb.gif)

oh yeah, and a Showcase 4, 9.2 (another book I wonder who owns 893scratchchin-thumb.gif)

Do tell!!! headbang.gif