• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Anyone with any exp. with comickeys?

217 posts in this topic

Wanna' know what a witch hunt feel like?

...and if fantastic_four is Dupcak, he's had well over a decade of experience at it. Dupcak was banned from advertising in Overstreet and CBG around 1991-1992 and served time for collectibles fraud in the mid-90s.

James Ashley Rudd. Want my phone number? I've talked via voice to four or five guys on the boards here, so they'll vouch for the fact that I'm a real person. I'll post a photo with a picture of this forum post next to my head if you like and if I can twist that way. smile.gif

But since there are no rumors about me, I'm probably not as interesting a subject.

Best of 7: Interesting story! The only problem is that I've NEVER auctioned a SILVER age Green Lantern 1 on Ebay. I did auction a CGC 6.5 Blue top GOLDEN age GL, however.

Supa: You had already been calling me Dr.Cut and Paste, and names of that sort for weeks on this Forum, so it was no mystery to me whatsoever exactly who you were referring to when you said, "Let's ask our resident color-touch expert about this TOS 49". FACETIOUSLY (sarcastically), I answered, "I can't raise the dead (referring to the TOS 49 in Poor)...I'm only an old country Dr. (again poking humor at Dr.McCoy from StarTrek). It was a JOKE.

HooDeeHoo: I can't believe that you don't recognize my reluctance to kill the day meeting with you and your lawyers to sign papers for a simple comic transaction is nothing more than not wanting to inconvenience myself. THOSE books sold on Ebay WITHOUT all the extra hassles that following YOUR conditions would have imposed/constrained on my time. WHY??? Why spend MORE time and effort for probably LESS money? Just for the hell of it?

Andrew's purchases of Avengers 1: The FIRST Avengers 1 that I sent Andrew, as I had explained to him was a crack-out. I bought that book in a CGC 8.0 blue top holder. No chips, no scalloped edges, no spine stresses, writing, stamps, blemishes, etc. In essence, an EXTREMELY harshly graded book not unlike 8.0s that I'm sure 99% of you have at least one of on your collections that leave you scratching your head, bewildered over why it was given an 8.0 and not better. I thought I was missing some surface feature and cracked it out of the slab when it arrived and saw how undercooked the grade was. The surface was gorgeous. The book graded somewhere between VF/NM and NM- EASILY. Andrew was pleased, I was glad that he was pleased, but it came back a purple top 7.0 or something like that (adding insult to injury). Neither one of us could understand HOW on earth they could call a book with virtually NO VISIBLE FLAWS an F/VF, and neither one of us could detect any restoration (remember, the first time around, it was graded blue top 8.0.......SOUND FAMILIAR..books that change grades and color labels?). I had just gotten in a comparable Avengers 1 and told Andrew that although this one graded possibly .5 higher, I would gladly exchange it for him. That book came in RAW, and I was well aware that he was going to submit it and I was confident, after bathing the book in 16 feet (two 8 foot black light bulbs) of black light without a trace of luminescense irradiating from either the front or back cover, that the book would pass with flying colors. It didn't and he received an immediate refund. Interestingly, upon inspection from a restoration expert (I PAID for a level 1 analysis...most items 90+% conclusive) who mostly works on PAINTINGS, Books of antiquity, and Graphics of extremely high value, for two $150 examination fees, both books were found to be "unremarkable for alterative procedures" with at LEAST a 90% accuracy rate (for a level 1 examination).

My sale of Spiderman 122 to "ProCrustean": Pro won a Spiderman 122 from me that was procured from a collector who BOUGHT THE BOOK FROM THE NEWSSTAND. It was gorgeous. So sharp that the pages DIDN'T WANT TO SEPARATE as you peeled one back from the next to count the pages! I advertised it as a 9.8. He sent it to CGC and it was returned to him a BLUE TOP 9.6. He wrote me that he liked the book anyway and on a whole was pleased with it even though he didn't get the 9.8 he felt the book genuinely deserved (who but a chosen few DO get the grades a submission really deserves anyway?). About 6 months later he writes me to say, "I just got back YOUR #122 from CGC, graded PURPLE TOP 9.4". He didn't want a refund, he wanted me DEAD! Seriously. I apologized and offered him his money back to which he replied, "NO, now THAT book is EVIDENCE. I will bring you down for selling me a restored book". About 30 minutes later, it hit me, "Wait a minute...THAT'S the book that CGC already graded blue top 9.6...what the hell is he talking about?" So I wrote him, "Let me get this straight, CGC graded this book AGAIN? And after they already found it to be a blue 9.6, NOW they're reversing their decision and calling it a purple top 9.4?" He answered, "YES!". It took a while to get to the details in chronological order of what transpired but after Pro was "warned" about me, Pro talked to CGC and told them something on the order of, "You graded a book for me as a blue top 9.6 about 6 months ago butcertain facts have come to light. I purchased this book from ComicKeys and have every reason to think that possibly you missed some restoration on it. I'd like to send it in for a regrade". CGC "graciously" accepted and it was returned to him a purple 9.4 after they found "resto" that they "missed" the first time through. How do you like THAT bologna? Keep in mind that this was obtained from a source that could positively ID the book as the book that he bought from the newsstand with his own two hands if push came to shove and could swear to it being UNTAMPERED with. Plus, it was a CONSIGNMENT book to boot!!!! I made a whopping 10% on it's sale (as though I'm going to risk altering a book that is ALREADY a solid NM/MT for a few extra bucks if I was of the volition to do so)!!!! PS: There was no lawsuit, hoping to dispell THAT rumour. Plus, this may come as a shock to some of you, but my correspondance and dealing with ProC were FINE. We both maintained open and constructive communication and I have absolutely nothing bad to say about him. After some venting, especially with what must have been frustrating (shifting grades on a key book and very difficult acquisition), he was a gentleman.

Anyway, I stayed out of this to let everyone talk. What I say matters little here. Folks are going to have their opinion either way. Unfortunately, some of the most opiniated have NEVER dealt with me. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion and I would defend their right to have that. There are TWO sides to every story. The truth is ALWAYS somewhere in the middle. I could go up and down the thread pointing out, "TRUE" and "FALSE", but I chose to respond to a few statements instead to hopefully keep the thread manageable (under 5000 posts!!!). acclaim.gif

Pro won a Spiderman 122 from me that was procured from a collector who BOUGHT THE BOOK FROM THE NEWSSTAND. It was gorgeous. So sharp that the pages DIDN'T WANT TO SEPARATE as you peeled one back from the next to count the pages! I advertised it as a 9.8. He sent it to CGC and it was returned to him a BLUE TOP 9.6. He wrote me that he liked the book anyway and on a whole was pleased with it even though he didn't get the 9.8 he felt the book genuinely deserved (who but a chosen few DO get the grades a submission really deserves anyway?). About 6 months later he writes me to say, "I just got back YOUR #122 from CGC, graded PURPLE TOP 9.4"

Holy [!@#%^&^], another exaggeration from Procrustean like that CGC 9.8 Daredevil 168 he supposedly had...here's what Procrustean wrote me back on April 5, 2002:

I bought an ungraded Amazing Spiderman#122 from him last year, I sent it in to the CGC and I got back the ONLY CGC NM/M 9.8 #122 in existence! He had advertised it as a 9.9, which I knew it would never get. However, I paid $800 for his book and now its worth an estimated $9,000(I know this because I've been offered that for it..;) personally I know I could get more but I will NEVER sell that book for any price...well........perhaps some price....;)

Weird..I would've never though Procrustean to lie...go psycho...threaten lawsuits...and [!@#%^&^] everyone off.....weird, very weird. He told you he had a 9.8 and that someone offered him 9,000?!?!?

Brian

Apparently so...back then none had ever sold so I had no expectation how much they'd sell for. Sounded optimistic, but this was right in the midst of Spidey-hype and Spideys were going for a ton.

James Ashley Rudd. Want my phone number? I've talked via voice to four or five guys on the boards here, so they'll vouch for the fact that I'm a real person. I'll post a photo with a picture of this forum post next to my head if you like and if I can twist that way. smile.gif

But since there are no rumors about me, I'm probably not as interesting a subject.

That wasn't the point of my post.

All I wanted to do was say something rediculous about you so you could get a feel for what hammer may feel when he reads this [!@#%^&^]. mad.gif

Feel good? makepoint.gif

893whatthe.gif As far as wanting your phone number, no thank you. I am already getting a bit of a reputation here as picking up guys on another post so I do not want to do anything that will add to that rumour.

Have nothing against you FF but I can't agree with what you're spewing here.grin.gif

Jamie, If he had a #122 CGC 9.8 Blue top, it certainly wasn't the one WE dealt on that was submitted TWICE: the first time getting a 9.6 BLUE, and the second, getting a 9.4 purple. Anyway, that was HIS version to ME of what happened with MY book. That doesn't mean that it DID happen, does it? Dontcha' see? THIS is the problem. HERESAY. Who's to say ProC doesn't have two different Spiderman 122's, or FOUR for that matter, or even EIGHT. Who gives who a straight story on ANYTHING for that matter, friends or strangers alike? I'm not accusing ProC of anything underhanded, just using this isolated incident to illustrate how easily facts can be convoluted or pertanent details left out.

Hammer:

Wow... there is quite some history here between you and other board members... and again I feel at a loss for two reasons: 1) I'm not a heavy hitter inclinded to have/spend $1000s and $1000s on one book, so I haven't bid on one of your auctions and 2) It seems as though the attacks on you are consistent and interestingly, I've noticed that most people who have recounted personal transactions have had what I would term as positive transactions.

For the record, I find it strange that two Avengers #1s both came back restored... and I disagree with the recount that CGC was informed that you were comickeys and then "found" the restoration (indicating or alluding to the fact that there is some prejudice against you). I think there is definite integrity in the process CGC adheres to, and I disagree with the conpiracy theories here on the board indicating that some people receive favorable/unfavorable treatment.

However, and I hold to this, that it is my belief that you would be completely out of business if everything were as disreputable as people claim. First of all, there's only so many collectors who pay $1000s for books... it's clear you have high feedback and your books always sell... so if comickeys is in fact always a fraud/trimmed books/restored then I have to ask why people continue to buy from him. I think it's a very small portion of the hobby who that kind of money to drop on books (and I wouldn't unless I had millions of disposable income... I prefer to have nicer quality bronze mid grade silver) so there has to be some satisfied repeat customers.

Finally, I don't know you personally, so I don't know what kind of a person you are in terms of character. I'm troubled by your reputation... but let's be honest, other than a very few people... i don't know any of the boarders personally (although many of you seem to know each other) so I take everything I hear with a grain of salt.

I'm just glad the title didn't read "Turd Filled Toilet Seat"

Oh my gawd! And now the Cosmopolite in Darth is leaving.

Dartth! DARTH! Speak to us! Assure us this is from eating undercooked poultry!

Oh the pain. The pain!

Hammer -

Personally, I think all this back and forth pseudo -conspiracy theories are all unbelievable until I see something that tells me first hand that there are problems with what you sell. Unfortunatley , every time I try to bid ( or should I say snipe) on your auctions, I rarely get a bid in before the prices go like crazy - you must be doing something right. With that said, there is one thing that I have to call you on - what is with that bid on the crazy custom toilet seat with the coins in it? C'mon man - why? Why would you bid on this? grin.gif

Ugggghh

Tomega

Honestly, I think hammer had some stunt planned against the coinees with this for the Memorial Day Massacre coming up...like capturing their leader or desecrating their relic with a pic of him using it...

I want everyone to note that he completely sidestepped my accusation of never selling Wonder Woman comics. However, he did admit to selling a Green Lantern, so that does excuse him a tiny bit.

And now, has anyone ever thought of this: Perhaps Hammer is like Pinnochio and whenever he tells a lie something grows. But it isn't his nose -- it's his biceps*! Huh? Huh? Ever think of that? If so, I think he has some 'splainin' to do!

*anyone who tries the clichéed answer to the "it's not his nose that grows" gets an automatic one star rating from me, so try it at your own peril.

-- Joanna

Exactly right Darth!!!! If you read the thread, we were discussing the upcoming Coinee Memorial Day Massacre and I believe it was Chris who asked me, "If you win this war, Hammer, what will be your prize". I searched Ebay for the most ridiculous coin item I could find (coin novelties or something like that). I found the "GRAIL", the source of all their power and wealth!!!!! I answered, "This will be my prize...the Coinee Grail itself..taken right from the palace commode!!!!"

Foolkiller, For the record:

The fact that CGC was informed that the book was from ME and that ProCrustean wanted it looked at again based on this information, and that he felt that since it WAS from me, that they should review it again because in all probability, it was restored...is not MY account. Those were the implications that came out in ProC's chronologically detailed explanation of what happened. Or what could be gathered from it. This point is NOT conjecture on my part.

I didn't say that anyone is not integretous. I stated as what was related to me.