• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Anyone with any exp. with comickeys?

217 posts in this topic

Dear Surgeon Richard:

Good morning. I'm sure you're already at the hospital, fulfulling your promise to "do no harm" so I may not get a response until this evening - if ever.

I have a few specific questions I would like answered:

1. Yes or no: Are you in fact a medical doctor, specifically a surgeon?

2. Are you willing to come to the next Big Apple Convention and introduce yourself to Bob Storms?

3. Are you willing to convert your feedback to public feedback so we can all read the glowing comments given to you by satisfied buyers?

4. If not, why?

5. Are you willing to give us the name of ONE person who has met you and Daniel Dupcek (aka Carlos Seneca) that can confirm that the "three" of you are not the same person?

6. Do you feel that it was merely a coincidence that both Avengers #1 were restored?

7. To the best of your knowledge, how many restored books have you sold?

8. Why is it that, even though you live near NYC, you never come to the comic shows?

Getting back on target, I would like to address the original questions on Comic-keys.

People on the board have moaned and groaned about this touchy subject for a long time, but nobody seems to have direct history. I do! I purchased 2 issues from Hammer/Comic-keys and both were submitted to CGC. They BOTH CAME BACK RESTORED with glue and colour tough. This was only minor resto but still got the dreaded purple label!

I contacted comic-keys after these gradings and he said that small amounts of rest like this could only be detected by sophisticated equipment like CGC have and if I were to send them to him he would refund the purchase price, which after he received the comics, he did. But of course, I lost out on shipping costs both ways and CGC fees which totalled over $100 (as I am in the UK).

I had thought of taking a chance with this seller (at the time I did'nt know it was Hammer), and eventually did, and will never do so again because of this experience. I was tempted by the FF#4 in HG, but never again.

A plus point for the comic-keys alter-ego(?) Hammer. He is great on this board and can't be faulted for his views and opinions and is great for this board, apart from some abusive arguments!

I am not posting this to be vindictive, I am posting this as a genuine experience. Lots of people have said a 'friend has received restored stuff from him' or 'I received restored stuff but havnt had it grade'. This is an answer to all the doubters and people that are afraid to stand up. This is my experience, I'm not here to argue, not here to post idle threats that go nowhere, and am certainly not here to upset anyone. Just so now you can say 'comicmankev received stuff from him and it was restored'.

If more of you have had this experience then come forward now and post it! If nobody has had any problems with him then shut-up and don't join in, and hopefully there will be no more problems with him. We are not here to speculate, just to hopefully help each other come to a decision on this subject once and for all.

By the way, the main reason I had doubts about the seller in the first place was the private feedback. If someone really has nothing to hide, then WHY would you do it? Private auctions are fine, to stop people contacting your current bidders and trying to 'poach them', but feedback, no way.

Let battle commence .................................

We are not here to speculate

comicmankev,

Thank you for posting your experience. I'd also like to thank Andrew for doing the same thing. You've made this a much shorter road to "hoo" by presenting facts as opposed to conjecture.

Best of 7: Interesting story! The only problem is that I've NEVER auctioned a SILVER age Green Lantern 1 on Ebay. I did auction a CGC 6.5 Blue top GOLDEN age GL, however.

My mistake; it was a Showcase #22; I get the two mixed up. It was the first Green Lantern appearance, not the first in his own series.

Dear Surgeon Richard

It is apparant that you, Hoo or whatever you like to call yourself, are not truly concerned with restoration of comic books being sold by comic-keys, or other concepts of fariness in selling comics. While you may have started your relationship with comic-keys in that way, you have now become Captain Ahab, with a personal grudge turned obsession against comic-keys that really stains anything you try to say about him.

rantpost.gif Wow, only 2 people on this board have ever bought a comic from Comic-Keys, and ALL 4 books they bought from him came back from CGC as restored. That is an amazing coincidence! shocked.gif

mad.gif

893censored-thumb.gif

rantpost.gif Wow, only 2 people on this board have ever bought a comic from Comic-Keys, and ALL 4 books they bought from him came back from CGC as restored. That is an amazing coincidence! shocked.gif

mad.gif

893censored-thumb.gif

Or... the other board members who have bought from him have received such great deals that they are not about to screw up the gravy train now by suggesting the rest of us buy from him...

Two different board members PM'd me less than five minutes apart last night suggesting that if they had been purchasing books from him and getting blue labels, they might be inclined to trash him publicly as well (under anonymous id's), to keep the prices down for the great stuff they were getting.

I am not suggesting this theory is true or false. Just that it fits the limited available facts as well as any other...

mad.gif

893censored-thumb.gif

remember AK's posts about the 2 avengers #1 that came back restored from CGC? i wonder if this was one of them? AVENGERS 1 ... VF+ 8.5 ... UNRESTORED witchhunt? no, it's all about ethics and knowingly selling a book that's been restored advertised as unrestored. 893whatthe.gif893naughty-thumb.gif893censored-thumb.gifmakepoint.gif

Wasn't there a thread a while back where someone posted scans highlighting the similarities of an Avengers 1 that hammer bought, and an Avengers 1 that he subsequently sold? Maybe that was one of those...