• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

CGC FORUM TOP BRONZE AGE COVERS - #8

53 posts in this topic

In 8th place we have the return of Bernie Wrightson to the list and the Top 10 with his classic cover to DC 100-Page Super Spectacular #4 (Weird Mystery Tales). As everyone who voted in the poll knows this was my first choice and one of the books I nominated - 2 reasons why.

REASON #1 - Wrightson's simple yet powerful imagery epitomizes the movement in Bronze are art to expression and the setting of the mood and tone of an entire comic with a single image. This cover with its rich texture and shading in the line art has often been seen as one of the best Horror covers ever drawn. With parts of the Demon enveloped in darkness, his sinister expression and positioning over the body inside the Pentigram Wrightson imbues the us with amazing imagery through his shockingly overt yet subtle composition. - jbud73

REASON #2 WRIGHTSON RULZ YOU FOOLZ

DC100Pg4.jpg

I like this cover, but didn't vote for it. If we had been given 10 votes, I think this definately would have been in there for me. I'm thinking 7 or 8, so this is a good placing in my opinion.

Divad, I am curious. Here is my list:

Please don't tell me we matched up exactly!!!

First: Swamp Thing #3

Second: DC 100 Page Spectacular #4

Third: Detective #403

Fourth: Wonder Woman #199

Fifth: Batman #227

DC zombie! poke2.gif

I like this cover, but dodn't vote for it. If we had been given 10 votes, I think this definately would have been in there for me. I'm thinking 7 or 8, so this is a good placing in my opinion.

Many places would have changed had we been given 10 votes . . . 893scratchchin-thumb.gif btw How were the placements weighted? 54321? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

We did not . . . wink.gif

One of my favorites also! the 3 characters from my sig line are from this book.

I still like it even though Wrightson screwed up on the demon's right hand! poke2.gif

1133214-DC100Pg4.jpg

1133214-DC100Pg4.jpg.3f0fbea872b6b62c00bef5099405fbfb.jpg

One of my favorites also! the 3 characters from my sig line are from this book.

I still like it even though Wrightson screwed up on the demon's right hand! poke2.gif

1133214-DC100Pg4.jpg

Who truly knows the mysterious ways in which a demon's body works? poke2.gif

A creature sitting on someone. Fantastic.

be careful what you wish for . . . devil.gif

Obviously the Demon has been summoned by the squashee blush.gif

I must be the only one that thinks big deal. Use lots of black ink and tell everyone it's "DARK AND SPOOKY".

Now, don't get me wrong. I like the insides of the book. thumbsup2.gif