• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

CGC: Any news on a Registry?

26 posts in this topic

Soo...when are the valued Collector's Society members of CGC going to get themselves a registry so they can keep track of their collections and that of others? It seems like this is a taking a longer time to accomplish then it was supposed to? Then again, magazine grading is takin a long time as well. Just curious. Thanks

Brian

Soo...when are the valued Collector's Society members of CGC going to get themselves a registry so they can keep track of their collections and that of others? It seems like this is a taking a longer time to accomplish then it was supposed to? Then again, magazine grading is takin a long time as well. Just curious. Thanks

Brian

why do we need one?

Keep track of books, compare to others collections, easier to trade with people as you know what they have and they know what you have.

Brian

I dont know if I want another collector to know whats in my collection.

thats my business.

Maybe i'm just paranoid but i'd hate to have people speculating or scrutinizing what I have. I suppose along the way you can pick up some good deals but once you tie your name in with ebay AND a registry it gets ...complicated. People can stalk you and see what you're buying/selling and aggressively go after things you want etc. Too much politics that would be better left out of a private collector's game.

It might be good for sellers and stores though.

Yeah!!!!...Let me tell the world all the books I own and the grades...and see how long it takes for my house to get robbed....I already had one pyscho from ebay try to break in my place in south florida.

Jonny makepoint.gif

Sorry, it doesn't put JohnnyDouble 209 6th Street on the Registry. Seriously guys..

Brian

Think about it...if it lists me by name......and I sell some books on ebay and give the schmuck my mailing address for payment....it doesnt take a genius to figure out where Jonny Double lives.

J.D. makepoint.gif

First of all, if you're that worried about it...Don't use it. It's that simple. There isn't even one anyways, yet.. Second, you can make your stuff non-public. Third, they'd have to be a member and so would you. Finally, I highly doubt someone is going to drive multiple states to try to figure out where your house is so they can steal a few of your comics..

If you're this worried about stuff like this I'm surprised you even can give out your address to a buyer on eBay? If you're selling ANYTHING high $$$ there's just as much of a chance these "same robbers" will be coming to your house. Both situations are unlikely IMO.

Brian

Take some time to look at the registry. Half of the names on their for the coins aren't even real, unless of course you think "redcents" is someones real name.

Or you could just let it go, no reason to get all upset over a service you probably won't even use anyways.

Brian

Chill out bud...

You're taking this WAY too personal....or could it be you are really planning to use this as your modus operandi...like some kind rantpost.gif of super-criminal......maybe wear a costume when you execute the caper...something with tights perhaps.

J.D.

I'm totally calm, I just don't like to have to play out all these far fetched scenarios regarding a service that doesn't even exist. Let the service come, see if you want to use it, if you don't..simply don't.

Brian

• Administrator

Here's the deal.

You sign up with an account on the CS. You pick a public name and much like the nome de plumes here on the boards, this name can be anything. It doesn't have to relate to your board name, it doesn't have to relate to your ebay name, etc. etc.. So it's pretty anonymous.

Additionally, you will have a function called "obscure set" which will allow you to enter your set and get ranked and all that, but will not allow anyone to see exactly what comic books you have that got you there.