• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What Is The Average Age On This MB?

86 posts in this topic

. Although Beethhoven's Ninth IS starting to have the strangest effect

Indeed. Screw all those so-called "hardcore" bands. Nothing gets you ready for an evening of the old "Ultra-Violence" like Ludwig! 27_laughing.gif

Chris

Indeed. Screw all those so-called "hardcore" bands. Nothing gets you ready for an evening of the old "Ultra-Violence" like Ludwig!

I dunno Chris... There's something about taking a 300mg dose of Sildenafil Citrate and throwing Basil Poledouris score to Conan The Barbarian on the old ipod...

. Although Beethhoven's Ninth IS starting to have the strangest effect

Indeed. Screw all those so-called "hardcore" bands. Nothing gets you ready for an evening of the old "Ultra-Violence" like Ludwig! 27_laughing.gif

Chris

Ah yes, a bit of the old Ultra Violence! It was a bit of the glorius 9th by Ludwig Van.

"If all the girls of Vassar were laid end-to-end in the halls of Yale - I wouldn't be a bit surprised." - Dorothy Parker

38, turning Jack Benny's age in July...

I'm pretty stunned to learn that so many of you are 10-15 years younger than me. Everyone's so (relatively) serious and buttoned-down on these boards, I assumed I was one of the younger posters... you guys should be out having the times of your lives, not gathering dust on these boards! Go out and have a cold one on me... I'll Paypal ya the $ later wink.gif

Garthgantu

Well first off... there's always down time during the day, and before you're waiting to go out during the night time weekend hours. I'm in the middle of a four month rotation where I'm sitting in front of the computer a good portion of the week, and am at home many days when my friends are at work. When it gets back to normal, it'll be hard to post... but I'm having a blast!

I actually think that most of the younger guys sound pretty well balanced on the board in terms of not going completely over the edge of obsession. Comics are slightly more mainstream I think than they used to be... (trades, superheroes in movies, etc.)

But... I'll still take a free beer.

Haven't heard from Rickdogg yet. I get the impression he may be the youngest regular on here

The 'Dawg is 147 yrs. old. wink.gif He may be one of the youngest, but the dude knows his 893censored-thumb.gif

Chris

sheesh--I feel like someone just turned on the lights at a swinging party...and I look around and wonder how did all these ' kids' get in here!!!

POV---we is old enough to be their daddies!! (51 here) or--as Woody Allen said it in Manhattan about Mariel Hemingway (his 17 year old girlfriend)--- he was old enough to BEAT UP her daddy!! 893scratchchin-thumb.gif893whatthe.gifconfused.gif

POV---we is old enough to be their daddies!! (51 here)

What I absolutely LOVE about being our age is actually REMEMBERING listening to some of the later 50's radio programs, using a rotary dial phone, referring to a refrigerator as an "icebox", witnessing and (in 1979) participating the advent of home computers, watching the new Corvettes come out, lusting after an MG-TD or TF, listening to my 8-year older sister's 45RPM "platters" of things like Stagger lee and Handy Man, taping dialogue of movies on a small reel-to-reel tape recorder until we actually witnessed Videotape Machines(!!!!) come along, going from b&w to color tv (holy moley!!!!!), anxiously waiting for Saturday Monster Movies with real horror hosts, seeing UHF being introduced to give us more than the three main TV channels you could usually receive, paying twenty five cents to go to the movies if you were under 12 - but the ushers would check your tickets and if you were smoking a cigarette they made you put it out because you did not pay the 50 cents for an ADULT ticket - and watching HOUSE ON HAUNTED HILL, INVASION OF THE SAUCERMEN, THE DEADLY MANTIS, THE DAY THE EARTH STOOD STILL and a slew of other films first run - and in the same vein - real Ushers in a movie theater, being there to hear the first offerings of the Beatles, Rolling Stones, Doors, Janis Joplin, Hendrix, Jefferson Airplane and a myriad of other groups...I could go on and on but have gone on too long (yes - that is a hook for the witty responders).

It is a wonderful thing to be our age because not only are we treated to the modern technologies, music, films etc but we also know exactly from whence such things came! I, for one, and most excited about it.

Yeah --its been a Wonderful Life hasnt it, grampa?

But it was our grandparents who REALLY lived in the MOST exciting times...from 1900 through to 2000! From the earliest motorcars to the moon landing and beyond.

You didnt mention Million Dollar Movie...(did you have that in Boston?) ...where we could watch the same movie (like King Kong or Mighty Joe Young) every night for a week at exactly 7:30..or Zacherle, Soupy Sales, and the rest......

Well, Froggy...its time to pluck my magic twanger!!

actually, that sounds pretty scary for a kids show....

Yeah --its been a Wonderful Life hasnt it, grampa?

Not to be harsh, but my grandparents - well- they didn't live from 1900-2000 - that would be 100 years and not many did frown.gif

But I must correct you on one thing - it has not "been" a wonderful life - it IS a wonderful life. And am looking forward to the new stuff coming out (gotta say if you have not sampled Tivo you are missing out on a shockingly amazing thing - I consider it as important to home entertainment as was the VCR - even moreso!)

thats what I keep hearing...it totally changes television viewing habits!! Dont really kno why I havent got it yet.....my grandparents did make their nineties and we often talked about "their" century and what an amazing journey it was for them to witness....My grandma actually told me she was not sorry to be leaving as it got progressively more chaotic, sordid and complicated....

thats what I keep hearing...it totally changes television viewing habits!!

I swear I never watch "live TV" anymore - except for the are ocassion that I want to watch something while Tivo is recording something else - as I have cable only one tuner so have made my VCR a "second tuner" I can shift to when Tivo is doing its thing (for some reason Tivo for satellite dishes has dual tuners - but this works out just the same).

I could cite all the standard Tivo Party Lines but you really won't get it until you experience it - you can pause live tv or what you are recording while you "take a break" - even non-recorded live tv has a 30 minute buffer), go through a 3 minute commercial block in literally three seconds and, after only a week of so practice, generally land right when the commercial break ends, transfer the recorded show to recordable media, slow motion, fast motion, pause etc.

For me one of the most wonderful things is that it does NOT record based on time but based on the show itself - so if a show you want has shifted time slots - and if Tivo recieves that change (it usually does) - it will "follow" the program and record it at the new time and even new channel. You can set up "Wish Lsits" using keywords (some of my are Vampire, Monster, Werewolf, Wolf Man, Wolfman etc), using actors names (they have a slew pre-programmed), Directors (ditto), Genres etc. If there IS something I want to watch "live" usually Tivo has already recorded something else I want to watch as well -and I do - while fast forwarding through the commercial blocks in 3 secs - then I do the same with the newly recorded show.

You can also tell Tivo when to delete - they even have a "Keep until I Delete" option - have a few old films - THINK FAST MISTER MOTO, the first Weismueller TARZAN and Cagney's "G" MEN that I am keeping until I have time to transfer to tape.

But as I said, "you really won't get it until you experience it." - I read all the hype but experiencing it was another thing.

Oh - and probably the real bottom line - my Tivo at 2nd best quality (looks just fine on my 45" tv) can record over 28 hours (irt is a 60 hour unit at lowest quality - you do not want that unless you have a very small tv) - which means it can record almost five 6-hour tapes worth of tv - you don;t have to worry about missing anything because you have already setup your Wish Lists. When i go to Europe for a couple of weeks I know Tivo will record everything I want.

Oh - and it also tries tyo "guess" based on your habits what you may want and record that too. In the beginning the choices are a bit weird but you can "thumbs down" shows/concepts you have no interest in and "thumbs up" the ones you ARE interested in. Tivo will actually start to "learn". But it will never overwrite something you have specifically selected in favor of a Tivo guess.

is there a maximum recordable time issue to deal with..that is to say, when you must rease in order to continue recording new shows? Or can you copy them off to zips, or burn dvd to archive ones "collection"?

is there a maximum recordable time issue to deal with

Yes, the shows are recorded to a hard drive with, of course, finite capacity. But also yes, you can send the shows to a VCR via a coaxial cable. Just conect the coax to a VCR or, if you are daring, a current dvd recorder, and select Send To VCR. My assumption is that any recordable device that accepts coax is usable, but you have to remmeber the format. These are, so far, not playable via computer - but the newer units have USB connections (mine is about a year old and has them - "Tivo II") that let you copy music and digital images TO the Tivo. Will be interesting to see if they end up with anything coming OUT of the Tivo via USB!