• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

JIM #112 cgc 9.6..predictions?

76 posts in this topic

Quote:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You might decide you want it, you might decide you want to lower your maximum bid, or you might decide in disgust you want no part of the game. Whatever choice you make, make it an informed one.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Exactly, and please remember, if you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice.

Best line in any song. But that might be a Rush to judgement.

Three areas that stand out and are exactly the same with these two books that I noticed:

First the purple box hickey. Exactly the same and in same location.

JIM1129.jpg

Second, the "E" hickey dot. Exactly the same and in same location.

jim112e.jpg

Lastly and perhaps the best sign, since some do not believe the matching hickeys are proof positive; on the right edge you will see a light white diagonal line or blemish extend into the book. I reviewed two other high grade slabbed Jim #112s and found this mark to be exclusive to these two books.

jin112rightside.jpg

Hickeys will always be in the same spot cause it [embarrassing lack of self control] stuck on the plate,as for the line then that could determine if it's the same book...even if it is,what differance does it make? The book is not worth buying anymore cause someone had it regraded and came back higher? Glad I'm leaving this hobby.

Three areas that stand out and are exactly the same with these two books that I noticed:

JIM1129.jpg

jim112e.jpg

Lastly and perhaps the best sign, since some do not believe the matching hickeys are proof positive; on the right edge you will see a light white diagonal line or blemish extend into the book. I reviewed two other high grade slabbed Jim #112s and found this mark to be exclusive to these two books.

jin112rightside.jpg

Hickeys will always be in the same spot cause it [embarrassing lack of self control] stuck on the plate,as for the line then that could determine if it's the same book...even if it is,what differance does it make? The book is not worth buying anymore cause someone had it regraded and came back higher? Glad I'm leaving this hobby.

I don't think the book is not worth buying now, but how much is it worth buying for? Many of the people selling comics these days would like you to believe that Blue Label 9.2 - 9.4 - 9.6 is a concrete measure of a books worth. I think this and MANY other examples around here have illustrated that that is simply untrue.

My question actually doesn't revolve around the issue of worth. I'm more interested in the Pedigree removal from the label on this one. This to me would indicate that the book was cracked out and resubbed raw. It would further indicate to me that the submiter knew it was the Circle 8 copy and chose NOT TO ESTABLISH thet Pedigree with CGC. I have to ask myself 893scratchchin-thumb.gif why is that? A Pedigree book is almost always worth more that a similar graded book, even in the slab. Yet the owner deliberately sought to NOT garner Pedigree status.

The only reason I can think of to have the Pedigree status wiped is to NOT allow the book to be tracked in the marketplace. I have to ask myself, would you do this if you THOUGHT the book was undergraded - its your opinion, its a straight resub, essentially a partial gamble on CGC and the possibility the were harsh? So you are taking the straight resub gamble AND deliberately seeking to remove Pedigree Status for a book that you fully intend to bring to the marketplace insane.gif That doesnt make sense to me.

However, IF YOU KNOW the book will grade higher - IE you had defects removed. Then the logic of Pedigree removal makes far more sense from a financial standpoint. Why? Well because the bump in grade from 9.2 - 9.4/9.6 far outweighs the price differetial between a Pedigree 9.2 and a non-Pedigree 9.2. In fact, the Pedigree actual hurts you in this scenerio as it links the new grade to the old grade.

So to summarize the only rationale I can see for a premeditated subversion of Pedigree status on a resubmit is if you know the book is coming back higher. You know this because you had defects removed and want to cut the linkage to the old grade because you assume people will pay less for a 9.6 if they know it was previuosly a 9.2.

Is that a complicated argument - YES. But heads up ladies and gents, the High Grade Graded Collectibles marketplace is a VERY COMPLEX system. You actually need as much, or more knowledge these days as you did 'back in the day' or you can still get flamed.gif

JIM1129.jpg

jim112e.jpg

jin112rightside.jpg

makes absofakkinglutely a lot of sense to me too.

I don't think the book is not worth buying now, but how much is it worth buying for? Many of the people selling comics these days would like you to believe that Blue Label 9.2 - 9.4 - 9.6 is a concrete measure of a books worth. I think this and MANY other examples around here have illustrated that that is simply untrue.

My question actually doesn't revolve around the issue of worth. I'm more interested in the Pedigree removal from the label on this one. This to me would indicate that the book was cracked out and resubbed raw. It would further indicate to me that the submiter knew it was the Circle 8 copy and chose NOT TO ESTABLISH thet Pedigree with CGC. I have to ask myself 893scratchchin-thumb.gif why is that? A Pedigree book is almost always worth more that a similar graded book, even in the slab. Yet the owner deliberately sought to NOT garner Pedigree status.

The only reason I can think of to have the Pedigree status wiped is to NOT allow the book to be tracked in the marketplace. I have to ask myself, would you do this if you THOUGHT the book was undergraded - its your opinion, its a straight resub, essentially a partial gamble on CGC and the possibility the were harsh? So you are taking the straight resub gamble AND deliberately seeking to remove Pedigree Status for a book that you fully intend to bring to the marketplace insane.gif That doesnt make sense to me.

However, IF YOU KNOW the book will grade higher - IE you had defects removed. Then the logic of Pedigree removal makes far more sense from a financial standpoint. Why? Well because the bump in grade from 9.2 - 9.4/9.6 far outweighs the price differetial between a Pedigree 9.2 and a non-Pedigree 9.2. In fact, the Pedigree actual hurts you in this scenerio as it links the new grade to the old grade.

So to summarize the only rationale I can see for a premeditated subversion of Pedigree status on a resubmit is if you know the book is coming back higher. You know this because you had defects removed and want to cut the linkage to the old grade because you assume people will pay less for a 9.6 if they know it was previuosly a 9.2.

Is that a complicated argument - YES. But heads up ladies and gents, the High Grade Graded Collectibles marketplace is a VERY COMPLEX system. You actually need as much, or more knowledge these days as you did 'back in the day' or you can still get flamed.gif

makes absofakkinglutely a lot of sense to me too.

Hickeys will always be in the same spot cause it [embarrassing lack of self control] stuck on the plate,

hickeys are of an indeterminate shape, unlike a cut rubylith say, and grow and ebb and cause odd effects with the ink onto the paper so only the marks on consecutive books on the presses would be 'totally' identical. If it were damage to the plates, specifically the dots they print with, then ALL defects would be the same.

What Im saying is that hickeys etc are NOT very useful in matching scans like this case. On with and another without th ehickey, yes. but 2 books with identical marks can easily be two different books entirely.

Well you know with all the penny pinchers,the GPA analyze,books being pressed,the putting the book under a microscope and god forbid it has cream to off-white pages even though the book is rarer than a NM copy of Detective #27 it's still a hard sell cause face it...people don't spend the $$ on comics like they used to.Why even buy CGC books? You can get a restoration check without going through CGC.I think it's cause people in comics like to argue,they love walking up to a dealer and getting into a screaming match over a books grade to try and save a few bucks on it.Gets the collectors that bring thier want lists to shows a woody.Now I can sit here and type scream all I want, if you think that's the same book then go ahead,I'm not my time or money on it.You can but i'm not.After 17 years of collecting comics, I really don't care about them anymore.

I hate Rush. Their lead singers voice curdles my blood.

You should listen to the end of the song "Cygnus X-1", when he hits a note that only dogs could appreciate! 27_laughing.gif Geddy Lee's voice was probably the worst part about Rush, but I still love them. Actually, the less he shrieked (around Signals, I think), the worse their songs got.

You should listen to the end of the song "Cygnus X-1", when he hits a note that only dogs could appreciate! 27_laughing.gif Geddy Lee's voice was probably the worst part about Rush, but I still love them. Actually, the less he shrieked (around Signals, I think), the worse their songs got.

I am a big Rush fan (and seeing "The Rhythm Method" live was a real treat), but I will be the first to admit Geddy's voice can shatter glass and sterilize small animals. You have to admit that some of their lyrics are questionable too. I mean, have you LISTENED to "The Trees" or "Dog Years"? Ugh.

You have to admit that some of their lyrics are questionable too. I mean, have you LISTENED to "The Trees" or "Dog Years"? Ugh.

"Cause the maples scream oppression, while the oaks ignore their pleas". Come on man, that's Neil Peart being deep!

I am a big Rush fan (and seeing "The Rhythm Method" live was a real treat), but I will be the first to admit Geddy's voice can shatter glass and sterilize small animals. You have to admit that some of their lyrics are questionable too. I mean, have you LISTENED to "The Trees" or "Dog Years"? Ugh.

It's political symbolism, and if i'm not mistaken, Neal Peart is the "giant among men" lyricist....

2112 cloud9.gif

You have to admit that some of their lyrics are questionable too. I mean, have you LISTENED to "The Trees" or "Dog Years"? Ugh.

"Cause the maples scream oppression, while the oaks ignore their pleas". Come on man, that's Neil Peart being deep!

Isn't it "Cause the maples scream oppression, while the oaks just shake their heads"?

Wait. Nevermind. I don't think I want people to know my intimate familiarity with lyrics that bad. 27_laughing.gif

too slow Christo_pull_hair.gif