• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ANYONE READ THE WILDCARDS BOOKS OR COMICS?

6 posts in this topic

This was one of my favorite series back in college. The series is called Wild Cards and is edited by George R.R. Martin. It was based off of a roleplaying game the various contributing authors had thought up and played. Basically, what would it be like if superheroes were real? The short premise is that an alien race had planned to use Earth as a test site for a virus they designed that could give people fantastic powers (Aces) 1% chance, cause radical and hideous mutations (Jokers) 9% chance, or out right kill the subject (Drawing the Black Queen) 90% of chance. One of the aliens tries to stop the virus from being release and crashes to Earth. He did stop the release but the container is found by some mobsters and is used to ransom New York. The military tries to stop the mobsters and the virus is accidentally released over New York City in 1946. The books follows several characters from 1946 til the present in an "alternative" history where the Aces and Jokers have sometimes changed world events. Anyway, its a great series of books that I just picked up again and wanted to see who else may remember the series. There were also a mini-series comic adaption. Just picked those up for like a buck each (just 4 issues). I've always hoped that someone could turn this into a movie or a series of movies cause it has a lot of great characters and a pretty cool story. 893applaud-thumb.gif

i read the heck out of the books and loved them at the time. the conceit of the series was well pulled off.

the sleeper had it rough, tell you what

Small world. I hadn't heard of this before, but just heard it mentioned a couple of days ago on a geekson.com podcast.

Wow, that's so funny. I mean, I hadn't picked up these books in years and just the other day just decided to start reading them again. Truly, its a great series and I urge you to pick them up. You won't be disappointed. I'm sure you can get them pretty cheap on Amazon or Ebay now a days.