• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Silver Age Favorite Covers Contest

235 posts in this topic

No nomination, just thought it interesting. shy.gif
One of these days I should start a Drama Queen thread. There have been a few good Quitting Covers over the years. wink.gif

I VOTE FOR EVERY SINGLE DC AND MARVEL NON-ROMANCE COVER TO BE NOMINATED. SO LET IT BE WRITTEN, SO LET IT BE DONE.

sumo.gif

what happens when the list gets so massive that it collapses in on itself? will the boards get sucked down into the sixth dimension?

oh the humanity

dude, there are 139 books up right now. i think we might have gotten them all by now

dude, there are 139 books up right now. i think we might have gotten them all by now

And I don't mind. I'm glad to see Silver fans being able to voice their approval of their favorite books. I am getting the occasional PM with suggestions for books that are already on there. There are so many good quality books there that it's hard to remember them all.

I VOTE FOR EVERY SINGLE DC AND MARVEL NON-ROMANCE COVER TO BE NOMINATED. SO LET IT BE WRITTEN, SO LET IT BE DONE.

sumo.gif

what happens when the list gets so massive that it collapses in on itself? will the boards get sucked down into the sixth dimension?

oh the humanity

I would find it hard to believe that humor books, Disneys, Gold Keys, Dells are going to go virtually unrepresented. I hope some more nominations come in from those quarters. One of the assets of these boards is the diversity of tastes and the knowledge different collectors have brought to the table. I, for one, couldn't tell you the best romance or Disney covers. I'm hoping some of our resident experts make some nominations.

In the meantime, here is a Batman (183) that people either love or hate, but to me typifies the peak of the Batman "camp" period. Cracks me up every time I see it. Yes, it's a nomination, my fourth:

1141103-bat183.jpg

1141103-bat183.jpg.b1b104f2e7e0ab4769091305f2a1a88a.jpg

Although it's been argued when exactly the Silver Age starts and ends, there seems to be a consensus that it started with the Arrival of Showase # 4 in September 1956 and ended with the arrival of Conan, October 1970.

893scratchchin-thumb.gif So that means I can nominate Green Lantern #76 (April 1970) again? laugh.gif

893scratchchin-thumb.gif So that means I can nominate Green Lantern #76 (April 1970) again? laugh.gif
I wonder why that slipped into the Bronze contest? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I suppose you could, but I tend to think differently when I put on my Silver Age thinking cap. Silver voters are looking for different things in a cover. IMHO. confused-smiley-013.gif

That is laughable that one of the top Bronze books is Silver. 27_laughing.gif

Although it's been argued when exactly the Silver Age starts and ends, there seems to be a consensus that it started with the Arrival of Showase # 4 in September 1956 and ended with the arrival of Conan, October 1970.

Technically you could, but it was already part of the bronze poll, so its inclusion here would only confuse the focus on what's clearly silver age. There's always the twilight zone area between the ages where overlap occurs. Detective 400 is sort of the same kind of situation.

Detective 400 is sort of the same kind of situation.
And it's already included here, but agreed it's borderline. Some people feel that FF 102 is Bronze Age because it no longer has Kirby doing the illustrations.

But it could technically slip into this contest as it's (September 1970)

But that cover isn't that spectacular. It's great, sure but not what you think of when you think Silver.

Where are the Gold Keys? Too many excellent painted covers to even list, but here are a few.

Magnus Robot Fighter, 4000AD #1

Magnus Robot Fighter, 4000AD #13

Doc Savage #1

Doctor Solar, Man of the Atom #16

Doctor Solar, Man of the Atom #18

G-8 and his Battle Aces #1

and almost any Turok cover

Where are the Gold Keys? Too many excellent painted covers to even list,
There was 4 GoldKey and 1 Whitman.

2 Harvey, 1 Classic illustrated, 1 Charlton, 1 Underground, and 1 Catholic.

Not too mention 5 or 6 Archie.

That's actually a better representation than I thought non DC/Marvel would get around here. gossip.gif

I'd like to see the first two here on the list and I can't even figure out why, but I'm always drawn to the Strange Tales cover. Am I the only one?

ff28.jpg

What is that thing? It looks like a grey clay blob wearing a chef's hat. foreheadslap.gif