• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Silver Age Favorite Covers Contest

235 posts in this topic

You know, I consider myself a Marvel Zombie, but I'll admit that DC Bronze Age covers have it all over Marvels of the same period. But when it comes to the Silver Age there's no questiuon in my mind that Marvels are generally much better. Especially if you pull Neal Adams out of the equation.

Neal worked for Marvel too y'know makepoint.gif

I'm well aware of that, thank you. But Neal worked predominantly for DC during the Silver Age . His first work at Marvel was, iirc, X-Men 56 (May 1969).

When are nominations going to be closed Mica?
Saint Patricks Day at Midnight. Starting at midnight you can vote for your ten, just be sure to send the votes to myself and ComicBookGuy. Hopefully most of you will be sober. 893crossfingers-thumb.gif

You know, I consider myself a Marvel Zombie, but I'll admit that DC Bronze Age covers have it all over Marvels of the same period. But when it comes to the Silver Age there's no questiuon in my mind that Marvels are generally much better. Especially if you pull Neal Adams out of the equation.

Neal worked for Marvel too y'know makepoint.gif

I'm well aware of that, thank you. But Neal worked predominantly for DC during the Silver Age . His first work at Marvel was, iirc, X-Men 56 (May 1969).

poke2.gif

STRANGE TALES #116 and #154 are awesome, anyone have a scan of thsoe two?

West

If it's Marvel I have scans. thumbsup2.gif

In case anyone doesn't know, you can get scans of virtually any comic out there on this website. It's very easy to use.

Grand Comic Database

For example, this one page alone provides a quick glance of Batman 151-201. A perfect way to look for books to nominate. It's a lot quicker than looking through boxes of comics:

Batman Silver Covers

And, Mica, great job with getting all those scans up so quickly. Very impressive!!!

COOL IDEA! Here's a few more,wish I could add more than 5.

Fantastic Four # 8

Amazing Spider-man # 26

Green Lantern # 8

Action Comics # 300

Thor #150

I could EASILY add 10 more to the list.GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) thumbsup2.gif

batman156.jpg

Now, we're getting somewhere! thumbsup2.gif

I see many of my favorites are already nominated or in the covers gallery, but here's 5 additional worthy nominations, including some under-represented Gold Keys:

B&B 36

BB36.jpg

Sgt Fury 64

SgtFury64.jpg

Turok 12

371656-Turok%2012.jpg

Doctor Solar 10

376135-Dr%20Solar%2010.jpg

Tarzan 163

623607-Tarzan%20163.jpg

Good suggestions, tth2. Now if we could only get some scans of nice copies... tongue.gif

I would add JLA 21 as another classic. Perhaps tth2 can provide a nice scan of that one for us? 893crossfingers-thumb.gif

Also, for war books I would suggest GI Combat 87 (greytone to boot) and Showcase 57.

To show that I'm not prejudiced against Marvels, I didn't notice Hulk 6, or Hulk 1 for that matter. Those are usually the issues that I hear folks describe as classic.

Speaking of greytones, there are any number that could be added but here's my favorite. cloud9.gif

MIS55.jpg