• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Will Overstreet ever price CGC comics in their guide

18 posts in this topic

If he did, he would have to make each page mag width, spiral bound. Forget about the h/c. Overstreet is about to insert vg & vf extra columns. I don't expect a cgc 9.4 column vs Overstreet 9.4 nm. Would confuse most readers. Shouldn't confused.gif 9.4 out of 10 be consistently priced?

If so, that's the Wizard influence, where the CGC 10.0 is apparently a Wizard 11.0. Everyone's so fired up about creating space and a market for CGC, that they've lost all sense of reality.

If Overstreet starts putting CGC values in their annual guides, that would be a monumental joke. We'd all be sitting here laughing at some of the books that fell 1,000% since it was issued, and others that rose by the same percentage.

Pegging the value of a CGC comic in EBay is like closing your eyes and trying to hit a hummingbird with a slingshot. It just can't be done.

I don't think they'll go so far as to establish guide prices for CGC books, or have a CGC section. I'd thought I'd heard that the NM price would be equivalent to 9.0 books ( can someone either confirm or call me FOS?). But, as I think about it, that would likely only work for Silver and Gold.

I am sure that some reflection of the presence of CGC is coming. After all, OS has altered their grading guide as a result of the CGC influence.

No, you won't see CGC prices in the main Overstreet price guide because they are too unpredictable to accurately gauge or predict.

I don't think Overstreet is going to change the NM value from 9.4 to 9.0.

But you will see dealers talking about reported CGC sales in the market reports section.

Kev

They're not getting rid of 9.4, they're just adding 9.0 in addition to 9.4.

I strongly believe you won't see Overstreet listing CGC prices. One of the primary reasons that CGC has garnered higher prices than Overstreet is that dealers have always slightly hyped or overgraded the grades on the sales figures they sell to their customers and report to Overstreet. Think of the effect "America's Largest Comics Dealer" alone has had on the guide--when's the last time someone here bought a NM from Mile High that truly was NM?

There are a lot of dealers who can grade well, and there are a lot who overgrade by a quarter or half grade. The solution for bridging the gap between CGC prices and Overstreet's data is not to assume they're inherently different, but to realize that Overstreet's data is less reliable and do everything possible to get more accurately graded data from the advisors. CGC itself has started to tighten up dealers' grading; Overstreet is revising his grading guide; and the entire history of grading is that grading gets a little better and a little tighter every year.

One possibility is that Overstreet will just up the 9.4 price a lot and move the current 9.4 prices down to the 9.0 level. However, I doubt this will happen across the board; it wouldn't be valid for any commonly available issue anyway. However, when is the last time ANYBODY could buy a true uncommon NM 9.4 comic from a knowledgable dealer--one who realized the weaknesses in Overstreet and dealer grading and pricing? It's been over a decade at least.

A lot of older, rarer titles SHOULD have their numbers boosted at the 9.4 level. Does anybody think we'll ever be able to buy pre-1966 Marvels at current NM guide prices ever again? I kinda doubt it. They need to be boosted.

One possibility is that Overstreet will just up the 9.4 price a lot and move the current 9.4 prices down to the 9.0 level. However, I doubt this will happen across the board; it wouldn't be valid for any commonly available issue anyway. However, when is the last time ANYBODY could buy a true uncommon NM 9.4 comic from a knowledgable dealer--

This is basically what I was driving at - that for many books the current guide price is reflective of 9.0. I suspect you'll be proven right, and the 9.0 prices for older books will be similar to the current 9.4s.

On the second point you are right. Truly uncommon 9.4s - and the 9.6/9.8s out there (prior to this type of categorizing) were the books typically sold for multiples of guide anyway.

On the second point you are right. Truly uncommon 9.4s - and the 9.6/9.8s out there (prior to this type of categorizing) were the books typically sold for multiples of guide anyway.

But before the CGC speculators hold a mini-rally, I would add that these "multiples" were usually 1.5X-2X Guide, and not the outlandish prices that specs are paying now.

But before the CGC speculators hold a mini-rally,

This piece of sarcasm made me howl. grin.gif Maybe it's late.

Anyway, you are right with those multiples - I'm just noting that the guide hasn't reflected true NM for a while.

Anyway, you are right with those multiples - I'm just noting that the guide hasn't reflected true NM for a while.

I agree, as long as we're talking about Key or other high-demand/scarce comics that are graded very strictly.

On the other hand, their NM prices on Power-man/Iron Fist 135 could use some toning down. grin.gif

On the other hand, their NM prices on Power-man/Iron Fist 135 could use some toning down.

' cover price or less ' is the right description for most of the modern run books like that.

Oddly, though, after the mid 90s bottom out, some of the runs are tough to find and sell well. I've been surprised by closing prices on eBay for basic chunks of runs.

But before the CGC speculators hold a mini-rally, I would add that these "multiples" were usually 1.5X-2X Guide, and not the outlandish prices that specs are paying now.
This is where I think both CGC and the Internet combined have permanently changed the market. People would pay about 2x for a true NM prior to CGC. When CGC came out, that went up to 3x, 4x, or even up to 10x for rarer issues. There are several reasons why this may be the norm from now on for uncommon issues:
  • Prior to the Internet, sellers could barely find customers at conventions or in their stores who really knew how to grade a true NM and were willing to pay a premium for those copies. Now, a seller has a big group of those guys together from around the WORLD in one little place--E-Bay! They don't have to just sell it to the first Brulato or Schreuder who comes through the door.
  • CGC has GREATLY multiplied the number of collectors who really know a true NM when they see it. How many people on this board really sought out and knew they were looking at material that CGC now grades as 9.4? Prior to CGC, the majority of the current breed of high-grade guys bought 8.0s and 9.0s thinking they were Near Mint. Whether you agree with their ideas or not, CGC has set a totally new standard at the over-9.0 level, which has significantly decreased the population of comics that the vast majority of collectors and dealers used to think were Near Mint.

Brian, the FIRST set of auctions I ever ran on Ebay (late Sept. 2000) CONTAINED CGC slabbed books (Marvel 1, G.A. Green Lantern 1, Action 15, Human Torch 1, etc.), among others. These were the first books I ever sold anywhere. I JOINED Ebay in Feb., 2000.