• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Joe Simon 1941 painted Cap & Bucky

14 posts in this topic

That is nothing short of awesome and, I believe, offered at a very fair starting bid...

That piece is so cool - I love The Ambiguously Gay Duo! smile.gif

gossip.gif Oh wait, what's that you say? It's Captain America & Bucky? Uh, errr...never mind. blush.gif

is there an earlier known existing picture of Cap? If not this is quite the piece...

hail.gif

Yes, if you get the Sotheby's 2000 Comic Book and Comic Art Auction Catalog - there is an auction for the original concept colored drawing of Captain America with a note to Martin Goodman (Timely Publisher) done pre-Captain America #1 about the character. Cap has the original triagular shield in the drawing. Ironically, it's pre-auction estimate was also 10K-15K...I wonder what that sold for?!?

It is my believe that this piece was actually done in the 1970's. Forget the 1941 date. It just ain't true.

Stephen

I have no idea if it's true or not...

However, if you look at Cap's arm in the window, it seems to be holding a circular shield rather than triangular shield he had in the early 40s... I might be wrong though, but that's the way it looks to me...

Nonetheless, it looks like a really nice piece, but alas, probably too pricey for me.

Alberto

The Cap piece that appeared in the Sotheby's auction many years ago was created for a Seuling convention program circa 1970 (at Seuling's request). Shortly afterward, Simon used this piece as proof that he created Cap America. The 1941 piece talked about here seems to fit the same bill.

Stephen

I had a strange feeling when I saw this painting for sale, Joe Simon always drew Captain the same way since the creation, the last time I met him he made a Captain for us, the art was looking like a 1940's piece but the strong board paper was white and not aged by time.

I had a strange feeling when I saw this painting for sale, Joe Simon always drew Captain the same way since the creation, the last time I met him he made a Captain for us, the art was looking like a 1940's piece but the strong board paper was white and not aged by time.

I thought that same thing... What is strange is that the pen/ink used to write the date appears to be different from the pen/ink used to write Joe's signature. It would be very easy, I would think, to forge someone's numbering as opposed to their signature...

There's no way I'd drop a ton of money into a piece with such a dubious provenance.