• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Golden Age group shot
21 21

9,349 posts in this topic

I seem to remember that picture of all the GA on the table (the bottom pic) from Matt Nelson's website. Maybe I'm wrong, but I do seem to remember that same picture on his site a few years back. Hmmmm......

Edited by ajaxfarrell

Hey action1kid, do you have that picture of Chuck sitting around with all of those comics ?? I remember seeing it , and I thought I saved it but I can't find it. It's probably one of my favorite all-time pictures. Chuck just sitting there with the FRIGGIN' MILE HIGH COLLECTION just stacked up all around him.

Even though those Church photos are blurry, the comics look so white and the covers so clean that they don't at all look like they are that old (and they were old when the photo was taken!). Unbelievable.

Ciorac, its one thing to see your books , but another to see your books in the RAW!! That photo of your unbagged books stacked up is killer, esp. with the Mystery Men #1, Weird #3, and other great FOX books sitting right on the top!

Thanks for those photos!! 893applaud-thumb.gif

More Fun was the name of the comic store that Bill Ponseti ran in New Orleans in the early 1990's, and Matt Nelson worked there. Matt had a story on his site about a large GA collection that came into the shop one time and I think that picture was run with the story. Here's another picture of Matt reading the Action #1 that some old lady brought in (I think she had like the first 20 issues and she just walked them over one day):

5719_15017_5.jpg

Bill Ponseti had a huge More Fun Comics collection, too. I bought a number of books from him. Great guy. I'm wondering whether Ciorac is him, actually.

I heard after Bill Sold the Shop in the 90's he wold hold "Conventions" at his house because there were no comic shows at all in New Orleans. By the time I moved down there, they were no more, but I did buy some Bronze horror from him and it was a nice deal all around.

Even though those Church photos are blurry, the comics look so white and the covers so clean that they don't at all look like they are that old (and they were old when the photo was taken!). Unbelievable.

Ciorac, its one thing to see your books , but another to see your books in the RAW!! That photo of your unbagged books stacked up is killer, esp. with the Mystery Men #1, Weird #3, and other great FOX books sitting right on the top!

Actually,if you think about it,the Church copies weren't any older then,than Bronze age is now.That photo of Chuck with the adding machine is priceless.I'd like to have a T-shirt with that on it.GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)

Actually,if you think about it,the Church copies weren't any older then,than Bronze age is now.That photo of Chuck with the adding machine is priceless.I'd like to have a T-shirt with that on it.GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)

oh... I guess that means I'm old... foreheadslap.gif

I seem to remember that picture of all the GA on the table (the bottom pic) from Matt Nelson's website. Maybe I'm wrong, but I do seem to remember that same picture on his site a few years back. Hmmmm......

Yep, you do. He borrowed the picture from me when doing his pedigree articles.

As Ajax mentioned, I think that's the picture from the More Fun collection that used to be on Matt Nelson's website. How are you affiliated with that, Ciorac? That was an awesome collection.

I bought it.

I heard after Bill Sold the Shop in the 90's he wold hold "Conventions" at his house because there were no comic shows at all in New Orleans. By the time I moved down there, they were no more, but I did buy some Bronze horror from him and it was a nice deal all around.

The conventions at the house are still held. We had one in late March. Once a year we have had them now for three years running. Some unbelievable stuff shows up every year.

Glad you liked the bronze horror. That was from an original owner collection bought in Covington. He had thousands. Including lots of pre-code horror.

How have you been Matt?

More Fun was the name of the comic store that Bill Ponseti ran in New Orleans in the early 1990's, and Matt Nelson worked there. Matt had a story on his site about a large GA collection that came into the shop one time and I think that picture was run with the story. Here's another picture of Matt reading the Action #1 that some old lady brought in (I think she had like the first 20 issues and she just walked them over one day):

5719_15017_5.jpg

Bill Ponseti had a huge More Fun Comics collection, too. I bought a number of books from him. Great guy. I'm wondering whether Ciorac is him, actually.

She actually had Action 1 - 23, Adventure 40, More Fun 14 - 51, a couple dozen Detectives, and a few dozen pre-hero Adventures, some Centaurs, and other misc golden age. I bought the whole batch and we threw a party that night.