• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Golden Age group shot
21 21

9,349 posts in this topic

An update and different format for my Airboy group shot and of course, after putting the books away, I realized I forgot to put the March 1952 issue in the shot foreheadslap.gif Still, here they are ... -

1516336-AirboyGroupShotDec06.jpg

893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Why don't you spread the books out in the shape of an airplane & take a new picture??? You've got enough Airboy's to do. poke2.gif

Why don't you take them to the local elementary school and let them make paper airplanes from the comics? devil.gif

An update and different format for my Airboy group shot and of course, after putting the books away, I realized I forgot to put the March 1952 issue in the shot foreheadslap.gif Still, here they are ... -

1516336-AirboyGroupShotDec06.jpg

893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Why don't you spread the books out in the shape of an airplane & take a new picture??? You've got enough Airboy's to do. poke2.gif

Why don't you take them to the local elementary school and let them make paper airplanes from the comics? devil.gif

sign-funnypost.gif

I've always been an ERB fan ever since I was a kid, so when I got into GA one of the first things I wanted to do is put together a run of GA John Carter of Mars covers (collecting Tarzan seemed a little too overwhelming smirk.gif). I had no idea it would take so long, but some of those Funnies issues are tough to find. Two years later I'm finally finished so I thought I'd share. I included Funnies 30 even though it's not a JC cover, but it is his first comics appearance. Funnies 42 is not a true JC cover, but he does appear in one of the vignettes on the cover.

5810JohnCarterGroupshotsm.JPG

Congratulations, on completing set!

Are there any issues that contain Jon Carter interiors besides these?

Yes, he appeared in The Funnies issues 30-56, first as a 4 page feature, then later 8 pages. I have a few of those other issues, but not the full set. The early issues are by an unknown artist, but starting with #34 it was done by ERB's son, John Coleman Burroughs. JCB would go on to do a short-lived John Carter newspaper strip and the David Innes of Pellucidor feature in Hi-Spot Comics #2 (the only GA appearance of that Burroughs character and one of my grails). In The Funnies 57, John Carter was dropped and replaced by some guy named Capt. Midnight. mad.gif

The three Four Color issues in the 50's were done by Jesse Marsh and are pretty lackluster compared to the earlier Funnies material by JCB.

Yes, he appeared in The Funnies issues 30-56, first as a 4 page feature, then later 8 pages. I have a few of those other issues, but not the full set. The early issues are by an unknown artist, but starting with #34 it was done by ERB's son, John Coleman Burroughs. JCB would go on to do a short-lived John Carter newspaper strip and the David Innes of Pellucidor feature in Hi-Spot Comics #2 (the only GA appearance of that Burroughs character and one of my grails). In The Funnies 57, John Carter was dropped and replaced by some guy named Capt. Midnight. mad.gif

The three Four Color issues in the 50's were done by Jesse Marsh and are pretty lackluster compared to the earlier Funnies material by JCB.

Sounds like some good reading material.

I didn't realize his soon was an artist. Since JCB was involved did the comics adapt the actual stories or were they new adventures?

I really like Marsh's art, but I wouldn't think his style was particularly suited to Sci Fi.

Sounds like some good reading material.

I didn't realize his soon was an artist. Since JCB was involved did the comics adapt the actual stories or were they new adventures?

I really like Marsh's art, but I wouldn't think his style was particularly suited to Sci Fi.

They're all adaptations of the novels, even the Four Colors. Yeah, JCB's not a bad artist at all - Dark Horse actually reprinted his JCoM newspaper strip in the back of the Tarzan's Lost Adventure book awhile back. Marsh is not bad, but he's not spectacular either. I think he was limited by the times and environment in which he was working. The novels are full of swashbuckling action and violence and half-naked Martian princesses - material that had to be greatly toned down for the Four Color issues.

Thanks Bill, It was certainly tougher than I thought it would be. That's one of the great things about collecting scarce GA books in the internet age - the thrill of the hunt is still there, unlike SA Marvels, for example, where everything is available and you just need cash.

Thanks Bill, It was certainly tougher than I thought it would be. That's one of the great things about collecting scarce GA books in the internet age - the thrill of the hunt is still there, unlike SA Marvels, for example, where everything is available and you just need cash.

excellent point.

Ok, I know it's not a GA group shot per se but ... yay.gif today I received the last Steve Canyon Magazines I needed to complete the Caniff Canyon run and I took out the Big 3 collection to take some pictures. About 5 or 6 years ago, I decided to buy complete runs of the major strips from the Big 3: Caniff, Foster and Raymond and here I show the complete Foster Prince Valiant, the complete Caniff Terry & the Pirates, the complete Caniff Steve Canyon, the (almost) complete Raymond Flash Gordon with a few Rip Kirby and some Foster Tarzan. Now, I need to finish the Foster Tarzan run. Anyone knows where I can find cheap Flying Buttress Foster HCs reprints? Anyway, here's part of my ever expanding strip reprint library -

1538628-TheCompleteBig3.jpg

and closer -

1538628-TheCompleteBig3-Closer.jpg

1538628-TheCompleteBig3-Closer.jpg.ec940ed3430d4ba1f814037a9e3d49bc.jpg

Those are great, Scrooge. I never finished my Milton Caniffs, nor do I have the Raymond Rib Kirbys so I'm very jealous!

What version of the Prince Valiants do you have? I don't recognize those as being the Fantagraphics.

Those are great, Scrooge. I never finished my Milton Caniffs, nor do I have the Raymond Rib Kirbys so I'm very jealous!

What version of the Prince Valiants do you have? I don't recognize those as being the Fantagraphics.

They are the French editions: complete 1937-1971 full color Prince Valiant in 17 HC volumes.

The Rip Kirby repros aren't the best but it's those or nothing ...

1538748-RipKirbySample.jpg

1538748-RipKirbySample.jpg.930f3fa9dfe03d1f3e72a70e6dd7c229.jpg

So have you read them all?

Let's see. I've read Steve Canyon up to the mid-fifties, have read Prince Valiant up to 1952 so far and I've read Terry & Pirates out of order over the years but now that I have the complete set, I'll start over from the start and, finally, can one really read Flash Gordon? It's more eye-candy than literature! I must have said it elsewhere but the strip I am enjoying the most at the moment is the Titan Modesty Blaise reprint series, very finely scripted sequences. I have the first volume of the IDW Tracy reprint staring at me right now ... but I have to finish my grading first before I can read it.

Ok, I know it's not a GA group shot per se but ... yay.gif today I received the last Steve Canyon Magazines I needed to complete the Caniff Canyon run and I took out the Big 3 collection to take some pictures. About 5 or 6 years ago, I decided to buy complete runs of the major strips from the Big 3: Caniff, Foster and Raymond and here I show the complete Foster Prince Valiant, the complete Caniff Terry & the Pirates, the complete Caniff Steve Canyon, the (almost) complete Raymond Flash Gordon with a few Rip Kirby and some Foster Tarzan. Now, I need to finish the Foster Tarzan run. Anyone knows where I can find cheap Flying Buttress Foster HCs reprints? Anyway, here's part of my ever expanding strip reprint library -

Very impressive collection! 893applaud-thumb.gif

I'm trying to put together all of the Nostalgia HC Prince Valiants and Flash Gordons right now. Terry & the Pirates is on my agenda too. As for the Flying Buttress Foster Tarzans, the HCs are around (try abebooks.com), but they're never cheap. I've been outbid on vol. 1 several times. I finally picked up the SC versions of vols. 1 and 2 a few days ago for $30 on the bay. Of course if you want to be a true Foster Tarzan completist you'll need one of these to get all his 1929 dailies: cool.gif

Illustrated Tarzan Book

House of Greystoke did a soft cover reprint of it in the early 70's and you can find that sometimes for relatively cheap.