• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Golden Age group shot
21 21

9,349 posts in this topic

Thanks, guys. Hey Adam, don't you also have a copy of G-I in Battle Annual? I seem to remember someone posting it a while back.

This little old rag? cool.gif

GIBattleAnnual-1.jpg

GIBattleAnnual_back.jpg

Oh Holy Dang! How do you get such great comics? I want to use the time machine. 893whatthe.gif

Here are some Flash Gordon pages you've probably never seen. In 1942, the German occupants in Belgium censored not only movies from the US but also comic strips. The editors of Bravo, a youth weekly, had to commissioned a local artist to finish the current sequence as they were no longer receiving the strips from the syndicate so not only is this not Raymond's art but it's also not the same ending! The artist was Edgar P. Jacobs, soon to create Blake and Mortimer for Tintin -

Very cool! I've read about that before, I think it was in the Raymond CBM issue, but I've never seen the Belgian strips. He's no Raymond, but he's pretty good.

You know what's funny is that both you and Adam concede that Edgar Jacobs was pretty good but if you were to have grown up on the other side of the Atlantic, I'd be curious to know how you would regard Jacobs. I grew up to adore Jacobs. Granted it's probably more his narrative style I loved rather than his "clear line" style, but still he can tell a clear and exciting story. Unfortunately, 1) seeing a couple of strips is not enough to notice his narrative capabilities, 2) this was early work for him as these were his first comic assignment ever 893whatthe.gif and 3) he didn't know the first thing about Raymond and the difference in style is jarring a bit. He developed from there and in between his own work became IIRC Hergé's first assistant on Tintin, taking care of the background work. I still have a lot of admiration for his Blake and Mortimer work which I read over and over any chance I get. That series has received little exposure over here and I doubt it ever will. A shame for a Jacobs enthusiast like me. Here's a repost of a page from what is considered Jacobs' masterpiece - La Marque Jaune -

1542398-MarqueJaunePage43s.jpg

1542398-MarqueJaunePage43s.jpg.d7ce2ae8fbd42fcfba5f9ad087751538.jpg

Venus, Veneris, f. - as per Liddell & Scott (irreg. nom. sing.). thumbsup2.gif

Thanks -- you obviously know your stuff!

Veneres is nom plural but Veneris (above) is gen sing?

That's an odd noun!

Jack

(serious question, not just yankin' your chain)

That's an odd noun!

Jack

27_laughing.gif Alright, at the risk of boring everyone else to tears....

You're correct, veneres=nom plural and veneris= gen sing. Third declension can be a little weird sometimes as the nom sing. often does not have the full stem, as in rex, regis and that's the case here. They can also be masc., fem. or neut. (neut. has slightly different endings). The stem for "Venus" is "Vener-" (as in venereal in Eng.) and the full declension for Venus would be:

Singular:

Nom - Venus

Gen - Veneris

Dat. - Veneri

Acc - Venerem

Abl. - Venere

Plural:

Nom - Veneres

Gen - Venerum

Dat. - Veneribus

Acc - Veneres

Abl. - Veneribus

Phew! I thought I was done with this stuff after my comps years ago. insane.gif

Hey, is that crickets I hear?

That's an odd noun!

Jack

You're correct, veneres=nom plural and veneris= gen sing. Third declension can be a little weird sometimes as the nom sing. often does not have the full stem, as in rex, regis and that's the case here. They can also be masc., fem. or neut. (neut. has slightly different endings). The stem for "Venus" is "Vener-" (as in venereal in Eng.) ....

If you did that from memory, I'm impressed (and scared).

Give a little whistle...

1541957-FC701.jpg

Thanks,

Jack

a little surprised that the *spoon* filter didn't kick in a time or two

That's an odd noun!

Jack

You're correct, veneres=nom plural and veneris= gen sing. Third declension can be a little weird sometimes as the nom sing. often does not have the full stem, as in rex, regis and that's the case here. They can also be masc., fem. or neut. (neut. has slightly different endings). The stem for "Venus" is "Vener-" (as in venereal in Eng.) and the full declension for Venus would be:

Singular:

Nom - Venus

Gen - Veneris

Dat. - Veneri

Acc - Venerem

Abl. - Venere

Plural:

Nom - Veneres

Gen - Venerum

Dat. - Veneribus

Acc - Veneres

Abl. - Veneribus

y'all all misunderstand--i bought all the books in Honolulu, and venii is thus my pet name for them.

That's an odd noun!

y'all all misunderstand--i bought all the books in Honolulu, and venii is thus my pet name for them.

ZING!

Jack

but wouldn't that be weni'i?

If you did that from memory, I'm impressed (and scared).

27_laughing.gif Well, I admit I did have to chant it in my head a few times to make sure I had it right - it's been a few years and I'm a little rusty, but I taught Latin at FSU for a couple years as a grad student, so it's pretty much implanted in my brain at this point.

doh!foreheadslap.gif

Billy, your use of the phrase "y'all all" suggests that your not originally from Hawaii, but probably somewhere closer to my neck of the woods (Fla. panhandle). 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

doh!foreheadslap.gif

Billy, your use of the phrase "y'all all" suggests that your not originally from Hawaii, but probably somewhere closer to my neck of the woods (Fla. panhandle). 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

just a few hours drive from sunny pensa beach, one of my favorite long weekend getaway spots.

doh!foreheadslap.gif

just a few hours drive from sunny pensa beach, one of my favorite long weekend getaway spots.

No kidding! I grew up in Pensacola, but I'm in Tally now. thumbsup2.gif

Ever go to Sincere Comics back in the day?

doh!foreheadslap.gif

no sir, i've shopped books [i'm a first ed. collector, too] there, but never comics.

Here are some Flash Gordon pages you've probably never seen. In 1942, the German occupants in Belgium censored not only movies from the US but also comic strips. The editors of Bravo, a youth weekly, had to commissioned a local artist to finish the current sequence as they were no longer receiving the strips from the syndicate so not only is this not Raymond's art but it's also not the same ending! The artist was Edgar P. Jacobs, soon to create Blake and Mortimer for Tintin -

Very cool! I've read about that before, I think it was in the Raymond CBM issue, but I've never seen the Belgian strips. He's no Raymond, but he's pretty good.

You know what's funny is that both you and Adam concede that Edgar Jacobs was pretty good but if you were to have grown up on the other side of the Atlantic, I'd be curious to know how you would regard Jacobs. I grew up to adore Jacobs. Granted it's probably more his narrative style I loved rather than his "clear line" style, but still he can tell a clear and exciting story. Unfortunately, 1) seeing a couple of strips is not enough to notice his narrative capabilities, 2) this was early work for him as these were his first comic assignment ever 893whatthe.gif and 3) he didn't know the first thing about Raymond and the difference in style is jarring a bit. He developed from there and in between his own work became IIRC Hergé's first assistant on Tintin, taking care of the background work. I still have a lot of admiration for his Blake and Mortimer work which I read over and over any chance I get. That series has received little exposure over here and I doubt it ever will. A shame for a Jacobs enthusiast like me. Here's a repost of a page from what is considered Jacobs' masterpiece - La Marque Jaune -

I'm sure that I've skimmed the pages of a French edition of Blake & mortimer but I don't recall seeing an English translation. I've always been on the lookout for international material and have a number of them that I enjoy reading and re-reading. I do like the clean line style of Herge but it's easier to appreciate it when you can read the stories as the art is very much in service of the story. So I may find that I really love Jacob's work, but it will have to wait for me to learn French or to find the English version.

doh!foreheadslap.gif

I had a few transactions with Dave Sincere back in the day.

Theagenes of Thasos was often seen there. Any relation?

... but it will have to wait for me to learn French or to find the English version.

Coming your way this January, the Yellow M and apparently also a movie in pre-production titled The Yellow M. 893crossfingers-thumb.gif That english version of Yellow M was advertised in the Previews before last.

Thanks for th link! thumbsup2.gif

You mean this guy?

8034Theag01.jpg8524Theag02.jpg

Nah, never heard of him. wink.gif

Good ones or bad ones? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif Dave was quite a character. I met him when he was just opening his first store in Pensacola - this would have been very early 80's, before he opened the Mobile store. I was probably around 10 or 11 and just getting into collecting for real. He was starting to unpack all these boxes of comics and I was just in awe of all those books. I hung out there for a while and talked comics with him while he happily went about drying cleaning a GS X-Men #1 with an art gum eraser! 27_laughing.gif

He was the main LCS in my town for years after that. I bought my first big book from him when I was about 12 or 13, an over-graded, over-priced low grade X-Men #1 for $200 (I think he called it VG). Years later after I had been out of collecting and got back in when CGC started I sent it in to get graded and it came back as a GLOD 2.0 (12th page missing does not affect story). frustrated.gif

But I have to admit, despite his faults, if not for him and his store I probably never would have gotten into the hobby in a serious way.

You mean this guy?

8034Theag01.jpg8524Theag02.jpg

Nah, never heard of him. wink.gif

Good ones or bad ones? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif Dave was quite a character. I met him when he was just opening his first store in Pensacola - this would have been very early 80's, before he opened the Mobile store. I was probably around 10 or 11 and just getting into collecting for real. He was starting to unpack all these boxes of comics and I was just in awe of all those books. I hung out there for a while and talked comics with him while he happily went about drying cleaning a GS X-Men #1 with an art gum eraser! 27_laughing.gif

He was the main LCS in my town for years after that. I bought my first big book from him when I was about 12 or 13, an over-graded, over-priced low grade X-Men #1 for $200 (I think he called it VG). Years later after I had been out of collecting and got back in when CGC started I sent it in to get graded and it came back as a GLOD 2.0 (12th page missing does not affect story). frustrated.gif

But I have to admit, despite his faults, if not for him and his store I probably never would have gotten into the hobby in a serious way.

he was/is an odd duck to be sure. I only dealt with him a few times, and the deals went fine. I friend of mine in Mobile thinks he is the devil incarnate though.

I always like Theagenes, I mean what's not to like about a guy who winds over 1400 fights to the death!??!? 893applaud-thumb.gif

[

he was/is an odd duck to be sure. I only dealt with him a few times, and the deals went fine. I friend of mine in Mobile thinks he is the devil incarnate though.

Believe me, your friend is not an exception. I saw a few years he was selling books on ebay - I've never seen a real dealer with so many negs. I think he was eventually NARU'd. makepoint.gif

Your store was in New Orleans, right? Man, I wish I had known about it. I spent a lot of time over in NO when I was a kid.