• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Golden Age group shot
21 21

9,349 posts in this topic

Thanks Jack!

Comicdonna -

I know the giveaway is 1946, but why I want to know EXACTLY, is because it could be the 1st appearance of Dodo & The Frog, as Opposed to FS #18.

FS#18 hit the stands December 11, 1946, with a cover date of Feb. 1947

The FS Giveaway was also produced in 1946, and has a winter theme cover, which puts its shelf time anywhere from Early December 1946 to early Feb. 1947

Since I really like Dodo & Frog, and Overstreet Questions FS#18 as their 1st, I just want to know for sure. There has to be an ad in a woman's day or something that promotes the wheaties giveaway & would give the clue to the date the offer was in stores.

That's set you're not going to see everyday, shiver. Good Luck with completing it!

I had ignored my Funny Stuff run for awhile to chase some other books, but have been thinking about picking off a few more lately, so I gathered what I have for a group shot to pump up my inspiration. Its no Filter81 pic, but I like em! If only I could figure out exactly when that Wheaties giveaway came out frustrated.gif

1610794-dodofrog.jpg

Nice Matt! That is a tough run to complete. You remember the time a bunch came in the store? But the runs were nowhere near complete.

Thanks guys!

Its a run I love, encompassing both late 40's & early 50's, 2 great periods for DC books. They aren't expensive, since no one cares, but finding certain issues is really tough. There are some that are everywhere, some you can find with a little digging, and certain issues which never come up for sale in any shape. In Ian's quest, he had more Funny Stuffs in the last 100 then most any other title, and #37 was in his last 15 books. Luckily I only need 4 more of the nightmares since I focused on them 1st. I do still need the #22 which is more costly for the superman appearance, but is relatively easy to find so I am not worrying. #33, 34, 38, 39 are the trickiest ones left to nab 893crossfingers-thumb.gif Marc at House of comics has a 39, but it has 3 ring binder holes & there is a beat to helll #35 on ebay now, but I am holding out for better copies.

I didn't notice the FS's at More Fun, But I only decided to go after the run a year ago, so they would have flown under my radar. I love a good challenge, especially one that involves more detective work then money! grin.gif

I had ignored my Funny Stuff run for awhile to chase some other books, but have been thinking about picking off a few more lately, so I gathered what I have for a group shot to pump up my inspiration. Its no Filter81 pic, but I like em! If only I could figure out exactly when that Wheaties giveaway came out frustrated.gif

1610794-dodofrog.jpg

Great stuuf there, Shiver! 893applaud-thumb.gifthumbsup2.gif

I'm sure it was fun & challenging series to collect.

That's set you're not going to see everyday, shiver. Good Luck with completing it!

i just stuck this one over on the torch v. spectre debate, but guess it belongs here even more.

torch.jpg

i just stuck this one over on the torch v. spectre debate, but guess it belongs here even more.

torch.jpg

A complete run. hail.gif

hello all...

holy cow...2 great runs...I love the Funny stuff! I am working on (quitely) a small run of them, as well.... and BP you continue to amaze with your runs!....

rick

Wow Rick, thats the first time I have heard anyone say they were specifically collecting Funny Stuff! 893applaud-thumb.gif

hello all...

I think FS is a way cool collection of animals...they have always fascinated me...I was only going to collect the first 20 or so (through 22 likely)...so, we won't have to battle each other smile.gif...I only have 4 right now, but if you have any undercopies, lmk

rick

Not Golden Age, but do you have the later Funny Stuff digests?

The Best of DC 37, 43, 49, 55 (others)?

Usually not very expensive but hard to find because of low demand. I bet they're a bear if you care about high grade. I've got some of them (somewhere) picked up in lot purchases.

Jack

Thanks guys!

Its a run I love, encompassing both late 40's & early 50's, 2 great periods for DC books. They aren't expensive, since no one cares, but finding certain issues is really tough. There are some that are everywhere, some you can find with a little digging, and certain issues which never come up for sale in any shape. In Ian's quest, he had more Funny Stuffs in the last 100 then most any other title, and #37 was in his last 15 books. Luckily I only need 4 more of the nightmares since I focused on them 1st. I do still need the #22 which is more costly for the superman appearance, but is relatively easy to find so I am not worrying. #33, 34, 38, 39 are the trickiest ones left to nab 893crossfingers-thumb.gif Marc at House of comics has a 39, but it has 3 ring binder holes & there is a beat to helll #35 on ebay now, but I am holding out for better copies.

Hey Rick, I'll let you know If I come across more duplicates. I just got rid of my extra #19 foreheadslap.gif

Jack - I know of those 4, but haven't tried to track them down yet. I would imagine in grade they are tough, and for 80's books I would want them to be nice. I'll let you know how it goes when I start the hunt!

Welcome back from your sabbatical!

Nice grouping of the first war title! 893applaud-thumb.gif

Any chance we could get a scan of the PT boat cover? 893crossfingers-thumb.gif
Happy to oblige although it's only in VG... smile.gif Still, it's my favorite cover of the lot (followed closely by #2).

Thank you. A nice book I'd never noticed before. Are the stories inside fiction or fact-based?