• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Golden Age group shot
21 21

9,349 posts in this topic

Wow! :o What a cool collection, Rick! Congrats! :applause: Was this an original owner collection?

Jeff

yep...original owner..his name was Earnest, and he was from France and learned to read from comics....the lovely 71 year old lady (yes, it really was a "little old lady") that sold them to me, inherited them when Earnest recently passed...

virtually all comics have 2 "w" penciled on the front cover, and the date of the comic written on each...so, I have dubbed it the "ww" collection...

Earnest lived/grew up in San Fran, where all the copies were purchased by him (some pq like the rileys, really white...others not so good...all the books were well read)...they moved to GA a few years back, and when he passed, Wattie (the lovely lady whom lives 5 minutes from me) got the comics because she and Earnest used to both read them as a child (or something along those lines)...

280 or so books from 1943 to 1955...Wattie's daughter's (Rebecca) husband (Clay) did a wonderful job organizing, researching, and contacting perspective buyers in the area...just so happened that Brent from quality and I were really the only 2 interested in taking time to view them (isn't that so funny)...since I was only 5 minutes away, I got to view them today.... they asked me to make an offer, I did, they were happy (I bought most as a collector would ) and I have 2 wonderful boxes of comics that Brent is coming down Saturday to look at with me!

gator

...And nice Pep shot, Kakapo, lots of tough books there. :thumbsup:

Thanks! Speaking of tough books, thanks for not pointing out the mysterious gap between 40 and 50...I wonder why those are so scarce. Paper recycling drives during WWII?

Anyway, this was my one chance to make a substantial post in this thread (don't have that many Archies from 1-100), so thanks for your attention! :D

Great Startling Comics run, too! When I'm done with Archie, I think I'll move onto GGA - as if Betty and Veronica aren't that already...

Andy

Wow! :o What a cool collection, Rick! Congrats! :applause: Was this an original owner collection?

Jeff

yep...original owner..his name was Earnest, and he was from France and learned to read from comics....the lovely 71 year old lady (yes, it really was a "little old lady") that sold them to me, inherited them when Earnest recently passed...

virtually all comics have 2 "w" penciled on the front cover, and the date of the comic written on each...so, I have dubbed it the "ww" collection...

Earnest lived/grew up in San Fran, where all the copies were purchased by him (some pq like the rileys, really white...others not so good...all the books were well read)...they moved to GA a few years back, and when he passed, Wattie (the lovely lady whom lives 5 minutes from me) got the comics because she and Earnest used to both read them as a child (or something along those lines)...

280 or so books from 1943 to 1955...Wattie's daughter's (Rebecca) husband (Clay) did a wonderful job organizing, researching, and contacting perspective buyers in the area...just so happened that Brent from quality and I were really the only 2 interested in taking time to view them (isn't that so funny)...since I was only 5 minutes away, I got to view them today.... they asked me to make an offer, I did, they were happy (I bought most as a collector would ) and I have 2 wonderful boxes of comics that Brent is coming down Saturday to look at with me!

gator

:cloud9: That's why I love pedigrees----the story!!

Congrats!

That Startling shot looks like something that would take me 5 or 10 years to assemble in lower grade....if I started today. lol Unreal! Great collection & story Rick!

very cool...you know, I will admit, I knew that the 49 was "classic" (schomburg/robot), but I honestly did not pay attention to the other 5 issues...I singled the 49 out, paid a nice premium for it...but, based on the PM's I have gotten, the Startlings are the "hit" of the bunch hm